Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I’m done with Mixbus.
Hi Harrison team and all, 

Mixbus has finally got the better of me and I am now done with it, it does sound good and it also looks good but as a DAW the Midi problems and continuous VST crashes is now beyond a joke. I truly regret every penny I have spent on it and am going back to Ableton Live because it works. There is very little feedback for reported problems which is well poor in my book and I want to be able to use it not constantly battle with it. Ido wish you good luck with it as it does have so much real potential.

Cheers,
Glyn.
I sent you an email yesterday before seeing this post today. Your particular setup is out of the norm for the vast majority of our users (sorry to speak for everyone Smile ) but with a look at your setup im sure we can find a solution. As I said in the email, you can always produce in your DAW of choice and then mix in Mixbus if you are so inclined. Let us know how we can help so we can continue to make Mixbus better.
The Doctor
Getting Surgical with Audio
My experience is that with the vst crashes. They were  greatly reduced by re-scanning all. Updates to plug ins seem to cause issues if they are not re-scanned.  There are also poor quality plug ins that cause issues as well.  Sometimes the vst2 version is what needs to be used.  Hopefully that helps. There have been a lot of fixes in the latest nightly Ardour, and it has been solid. Hopefully there is a mixbus 9 update soon.
Hi Glyn - I'm sure Harrison would be sorry to lose you but to be fair... you've used Mixbus for many years and have only posted around 2 threads per year during that time.

And even some of those related to hardware issues - such as with your choice of mouse...

So maybe give Harrison and Mixbus another chance?
Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit...
Wisdom is knowing you don't put tomatoes in a fruit salad !!
Without wishing to sound harsh or judgemental - the workflow, aesthetic and general mindset needed to work with Ableton is, in my humble opinion, worlds apart from that of Mixbus. Horses for courses but it does sound as if your workflow is not suited to Mixbus. Having spent a little time with clients using Ableton I was truly amazed that anyone would choose to use it for mixing. A nightmare of signal flow and general layout that, for me, was as far removed from my real world experience recording and mixing in studios as it could be. Mixbus, for mixing, is as close as you can get to working with a large console. I agree about the midi though, I never touch it in Mixbus. Likewise comping, we desperately need swipe comp in Mixbus, as it exists in nearly every other top DAW. But still, for audio mixing it cannot be beaten.
Good luck to anyone trying to mix real audio in Ableton.
(09-16-2023, 06:10 AM)Scardanelli Wrote: Without wishing to sound harsh or judgemental - the workflow, aesthetic and general mindset needed to work with Ableton is, in my humble opinion, worlds apart from that of Mixbus. Horses for courses but it does sound as if your workflow is not suited to Mixbus. Having spent a little time with clients using Ableton I was truly amazed that anyone would choose to use it for mixing. A nightmare of signal flow and general layout that, for me, was as far removed from my real world experience recording and mixing in studios as it could be. Mixbus, for mixing, is as close as you can get to working with a large console. I agree about the midi though, I never touch it in Mixbus. Likewise comping, we desperately need swipe comp in Mixbus, as it exists in nearly every other top DAW. But still, for audio mixing it cannot be beaten.
Good luck to anyone trying to mix real audio in Ableton.

I agree with that assessment. I find programs like Ableton confusing at best unless you want to use that particular system to create sounds. I also agree and have posted here comping here works, but could use a couple small upgrades. such as highlighting sections that are them auto added to a comp track. Mixbus is the king of audio mixing and i have used many DAWs. I have not even tried using midi here. any midi work i do i do in Band in a box and their DAW RealBand. when i get solid tracks i drag them over and add vocals and mix here. I have a solid and relatively easy flow now. Glynbo. i hope you work out your work flow so that it meets your needs.
Older Mac Mini 16 gig 1TB drive. MixBus32c latest version, Reaper 6, Band in a Box 2023, Presonus Audiobox VSL1818, several guitars. 
Just to redress the balance, I've been using Mixbus 32C almost every day since it's inception and I can't actually remember having it crash on me. Strange how it goes. Perhaps it's something to do with the fact that my computer runs off-line, without anti-virus and because it doesn't get the twice monthly Windows updates, it always boots looking like I left it. Also it only runs two programs - 32C and PowerTracks Pro Audio.

Another factor may be that I only use 32C for mix-down, because all my tracking and editing is done in PowerTracks. I have to agree that Mixbus isn't the best at MIDI, or for that matter at audio editing, but to me that's not what it's there for. PowerTracks is a simple and inexpensive program, but it's a better editor than anything else I've found, so I just drag the stems from there into 32C which I treat like an old large-format mixer. I'm old enough to have grown up with large format desks and not only did I find the workflow of 32C very familiar from the beginning, the sound is superb.

I can understand how constant crashes would become unworkable, but I'm sure there are others like me with a different experience.
ROG are you the same ROG from the BiaB forum? If so I understand the powertracks usage. Powertracks and it’s evil twin Realband are really cool tools. I also have used them for years.
Older Mac Mini 16 gig 1TB drive. MixBus32c latest version, Reaper 6, Band in a Box 2023, Presonus Audiobox VSL1818, several guitars. 
I may have the most VST among anybody, tried thousands, installed 300 use 60 all the time. Using MB for 10 years VST crashes I do not remember any. Some just did not work as expected and forgot them.
The PC setup, its hardware, other conflicting programs , WIN??? makes a lot difference.
I am no upgrading dundee so I have win7/64 , MB vesions 5,6,7,8,9 had some issues bus VST causing freez I may say not at all.
MIDI I do not use so no experince on that ragard.

I know this does not help, and it blows my mind also if after heving reported an issue I get the answer "it never happaned to me". "All well here"
BUT we do not have the same PC. that's all.Smile
Win7/64, Mixbus32C, Mixbus2.5 the QueenSmile UR22, Dynaudio BM5A MKII, Pc all SSD,
Quote:ROG are you the same ROG from the BiaB forum? If so I understand the powertracks usage. Powertracks and it’s evil twin Realband are really cool tools. I also have used them for years.
Hi Rob, yes that's me!

I have to own up to having Realband Ultra-Pack as well, which I use whenever I need the Nashville session musicians on a track. I didn't like to mention Realband without explaining what it is - essentially Powertracks on steroids - in case it started to sound like an advertisement.

Realband and Mixbus 32C is just the best possible combination for the way I work.