Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
OSC Cues controlling MixBus and x32 together - working code written...but need help
I have written a batch file (yes, windows batch programming) that interfaces to a sendosc program to enable creation of "unlimited" cues in the script to control and keep in synch Mixbus and up to 3 x32 mixers (or just use a DL16 or DL32 as an interface and skip the mixer).  The design ultimately leverages the x32 as just a hardware interface and monitor mixer while all other live processing is done in Mixbus.  Mutes and strip/channel names are kept up to date via cues that update the x32(s) and MixBus (if desired).  This also can be implemented top get bus feeds from x32 and keep most of the mixing on the x32 or the x32 can join in the work...depends on routing used and what you want.

I have used MxiBus in a variety of these ways with an x32 for concerts and musical theater.

I wrote this as a proof of concept, and it works, except for several glitches in MixBus that limit what all can be accomplished.  I would like to be able to use the cues to enable/disable plugins and sends in MixBus, but for some reason MixBus strip references in plugin activation OSC only counts visible strips...so that's nasty to keep track of, and set_surface seems to be ignored.  Also, one cannot activate/deactivate the built-in sends, etc. so that's sad, though they do count in the plugin count.

Similarly problematic is that PDC is bumped whenever soloing or enabling/disabling plugins if audio busses are added.  So PDC really should not be used live, so design considerations come in to play.  This may be priority enough to get fixed though.

Ability to activate/deactivate strips would also be handy so you could rotate through things.

I use a DN9630 to connect the x32(s) to the pc so have 48x48 i/o, but other things could be used.  The AES50 interface though means I could route inputs from multiple x32s to a single mixbus, up to 48 inputs in and out concurrently, which is great.  My script allows assignment of x32 1-3 channels 1-32 to any of the mixbus strips to give unified control through the cues.  There is also a virtually unlimited number of cues allowed.

This is great for musical theater, theater in general, or even other uses where the existing very limited number of "scenes" are simply insufficient.

Understandably, the OSC issues are low priority for Mixbus, even though their repair could make Mixbus usable for many more and much more complex live implementations.  I understand from support that the OSC code is open source---so I am looking for someone who may want to fix the problems.

I would also gladly share my script (current view is attached, just change ther extension to .cmd) with anyone who wants to improve it (or use it) and keep it free for anyone to use...maybe getting it into GitHub or something!!  I admit that I wrote it poorly, I am not a batch script programmer...but wanted something easy to use, something that does not require an install of code, avoids elegant and thereby unreadable code, and something easy to see and build and edit cues in, and not requiring a compile, and easily adjustable.

Collaboration is essential as I think I have hit my technical limit.  The comments in the code describe how it works...as a batch script...the external sendosc is needed form GitHub...details in the comments.

Attached Files
.txt   SendOSCv20230530b ACTOR SPOTLIGHT 2023 v01.txt (Size: 72.67 KB / Downloads: 0)