Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
tip for better win vst performance - compatibility
Hi, 

Just thought I'd drop a line here .. 

I've spent months with an issue that's been bugging me . 
Sometimes it would take 2-3 attempts for a session with Windows VST
s to load.. 

Firstly - for a lot of plugins you need to install the DXVK libraries for them to work (each distro has a different process).. (Direct X via Vulkan ) 

This was actually when the problems started --- 

Startup would always hang on one plugin or another firing up 12 graphics pipeline threads (1 for each thread available on my SMT 6 core machine) 

I somehow stumbled across this document.. 

https://github.com/doitsujin/dxvk/wiki/Configuration

With the all important configuration file behind it .. (https://github.com/doitsujin/dxvk/blob/master/dxvk.conf)
I saved that into ~/.config/dxvk/ and referenced it in my bashrc 

[font=-apple-system, BlinkMacSystemFont, "Segoe UI", "Noto Sans", Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif, "Apple Color Emoji", "Segoe UI Emoji"][color=var(--color-fg-default)][font=ui-monospace, SFMono-Regular, "SF Mono", Menlo, Consolas, "Liberation Mono", monospace]# If the graphics pipeline library feature is enabled, the given[/font]
[color=var(--color-fg-default)][font=ui-monospace, SFMono-Regular, "SF Mono", Menlo, Consolas, "Liberation Mono", monospace]# number of threads will be used for shader compilation. Some of[/font][/color]
[color=var(--color-fg-default)][font=ui-monospace, SFMono-Regular, "SF Mono", Menlo, Consolas, "Liberation Mono", monospace]# these threads will be reserved for high-priority work.[/font][/color]
[color=var(--color-fg-default)][font=ui-monospace, SFMono-Regular, "SF Mono", Menlo, Consolas, "Liberation Mono", monospace]# Supported values:[/font][/color]
[color=var(--color-fg-default)][font=ui-monospace, SFMono-Regular, "SF Mono", Menlo, Consolas, "Liberation Mono", monospace]# - 0 to use all available CPU cores[/font][/color]
[color=var(--color-fg-default)][font=ui-monospace, SFMono-Regular, "SF Mono", Menlo, Consolas, "Liberation Mono", monospace]# - any positive number to enforce the thread count[/font][/color]

[color=var(--color-fg-default)][font=ui-monospace, SFMono-Regular, "SF Mono", Menlo, Consolas, "Liberation Mono", monospace]dxvk.numCompilerThreads = 6[/font][/color][/font]
[/color]

I made one change and now the sessions open reliably every time.  The original file has it set to 0 (which as you can see is use all cores) .. I set to 6 - which is one per real core .. 

SO if you also want to know more about my windows VST scenario - 

I'm using yabridge (5.0.4) and am using a custom version of Wine (TKG) that is recommended on the yabridge website. 

Guaranteed - if I experience a crash it is always from a WINE issue with a plugin - but this is now back to a once a week occurence.
Allan  Klinbail 

Steam Mastering - www.steam-mastering.com