Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Anyone have issues with waves plugin gui lagging on Windows
It's an old thread, but this issue still exists with Mixbus 32c - 6 on Windows 10.

I found a solution that works for me, so it might work for other users too...
On my system the lag has to do with the display refresh rate. My old HP Monitor was limited to 60Hz refresh rate, where the problem was present all the time, with opened waves plugin editor. No matter if I used the v10, v12, vst2 or vst3 versions.
After I replaced my old monitor with a bigger one, Windows 10 has the option to switch the display refresh rate to 60Hz and 75Hz.
The setup at 75Hz works perfect, no lag or freezing graphics when I open the editor of a Waves plugin.
Changing the setting back to 60Hz and the old problem was back again...
I don't know if this is a real fix, but for now it workes for me.

My display adapter is a Nvidia GTX 1050 ti, connected via Display-Port to my new Iiyama monitor, previously via DVI cable to my HP monitor.
(12-11-2020, 12:53 PM)Makai Wrote: The setup at 75Hz works perfect, no lag or freezing graphics when I open the editor of a Waves plugin.
Changing the setting back to 60Hz and the old problem was back again...

That's pretty interesting... did you only see the lag when using Mixbus or did it happen with other DAW's ?
Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit...
Wisdom is knowing you don't put tomatoes in a fruit salad !!
It happens only with Mixbus and exclusively when the Waves Plugins editor is open. The audio is running as usual but the GUI is freezing (plugin editor + Mixbus). When the Waves editor window is closed everything is fine again. Most time I use Studio One 5 and sometimes Reaper. Both without problems when using Waves plugins.

As a DAW user I don't understand that much about coding a DAW. It looks like Waves and Mixbus are fighting for the same resources to display their graphics - and blocking each other.
Maybe there is something to process, where 60 cycles per second is not enaugh to finish the task, but 75 is just enaugh?
(12-12-2020, 01:27 PM)Makai Wrote: It happens only with Mixbus and exclusively when the Waves Plugins editor is open.

There've been many similar reports here. Waves plugins rely on a technology called OpenGL which (in theory) is supposed to run on your graphics card. But quite often OpenGL will run on your CPU where it consumes huge amounts of CPU time. That makes life very difficult for Mixbus which is also quite CPU hungry.

My guess is that by switching to 75Hz you're somehow forcing OpenGL to go back to using your Graphics GPU - which then frees up your CPU again.
Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit...
Wisdom is knowing you don't put tomatoes in a fruit salad !!
Ah, thanks a lot for your reply. That could be an explanation.

Anyway, now it works and I'm able to use Mixbus without limitations.
So far I only used pre-recorded audio with Mixbus and for drums some exported midi files from Studio one. Next time I will try to create a song from scatch. The midi part of Mixbus seems to be a bit incomplete, but everything can be done somehow.
I'm looking forward to dealing with it more intensively during the Christmas Holidays.

I just remember... It would be very nice to have a filter option in the plugin manager to hide the unlicensed plugins. So the user can decide to see only the buildin plugins or all. Rather than trial and error while looking for the right ones. Shy
I've found the best way around this is to

1. Click Windows key and search for "View advanced system settings", Open that
2. Under Performance, click settings
3. Click adjust for best performance
4. Go through and test what is slowing it down by Enabling one by one

I am running Smooth edges of screen fonts and a few others with no issues but I think the main contender for the issue is Show window contents while dragging.

Hope I could help!
I was experiencing this exact problem with MB 32c v7 and v8. After back and forth with Nathan and Ben at Harrison, here is what worked for me:
I have a Windows 10 PC with a NVIDIA graphics card.

Open the NVIDA control panel.
Click "Adjust Image Settings With Preview".
Click the radio button that says "Use my preference " and change the slider to "Performance".

I also had the same problem with a PC with an AMD Radeon card. I didn't get a chance to change the equivalent settings but I'm sure that would have solved the issue on that machine as well. All is good now, and I can move Waves windows around my session without any issue. So far....
(09-12-2022, 04:11 PM)sportsound Wrote: I was experiencing this exact problem with MB 32c v7 and v8. After back and forth with Nathan and Ben at Harrison, here is what worked for me:
I have a Windows 10 PC with a NVIDIA graphics card.

Open the NVIDA control panel.
Click "Adjust Image Settings With Preview". 
Click the radio button that says "Use my preference " and change the slider to "Performance".

I also had the same problem with a PC with an AMD Radeon card. I didn't get a chance to change the equivalent settings but I'm sure that would have solved the issue on that machine as well. All is good now, and I can move Waves windows around my session without any issue. So far....

Oh my god, this post saved me from all my troubles. Thank you sooooo much for this. I've been fighting the problem of Waves plugins causing rendering lag or just outright freezing up Mixbus for a year and a half no thanks to my newest laptop's RTX 3070. This might have just fixed my issue!