Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mixbus32C v9 - New Mixer! New Sound! - Now Available
(03-27-2023, 05:55 AM)johne53 Wrote: @Skyking11 @deefedor - how long have you guys been using ver9? I didn't like it at first (maybe for about 4 or 5 days) but I wouldn't go back to the old look now...

Admittedly, only a couple of days…. I’m certainly not giving up on it and will give it a fair shake!  I paid to upgrade and would like to take advantage of all the new “stuff”.  It may require some changes to workflow and mixer setup (screen resolution, display scaling, etc.).
MB, MB32C, V10, Win 7/10, MacOS Catalina and Ventura, MBP & Ryzen platforms, nVidia and Radeon GPU’s, Focusrite Saffire Pro 40, Mackie Onyx 1640, X-Touch, 43” UHD, x2 27” 4K

(03-27-2023, 05:55 AM)johne53 Wrote: @Skyking11 @deefedor - how long have you guys been using ver9? I didn't like it at first (maybe for about 4 or 5 days) but I wouldn't go back to the old look now...

I seem to take the same road on this. Anyway- the sound options of the new dynamics justify almost everything. Great improvement.
Mac Pro 5,1 | 6x 3,4Ghz | 48GB | OS X 10.14  | Macbook Pro M1 | 16GB | OS X 14.4 | Metric Halo 2882 3d 
http://www.sounddesign-pro.com
(03-27-2023, 04:19 AM)Skyking11 Wrote: When testing the new v9 demo I have to say I do like v8 better, I really just came to the conclusion that it feels much more organized and less congested, the new v9 features are nice and are needed but I unno it doesn't feel right the way its implemented in my honest opinion. Any thoughts, am I the only one. I feel Harrison maybe got lost in the sauce with this one.

No, you are not the only one, i think the same. I like visually better v7, it looks much more clean and classy. First after testing i will answer my own questions for others that are interested :

Can i install it and keep my v7 at the same time?
Yes. V9 didn't ask me for keeping my v7 settings thought. It ask about scaling for me but i close the window and do my own scaling.

Is the mixer still glitchy when scrolling horizontally?
Yes, as it was in v7.
Are the favorites presets that were removed from v7.2 back in v9? (see my old post https://forum.harrisonconsoles.com/thread-10825.html )
Yes (that's good)
Is the new eq sound different than the earlier versions?
Yes, eq is decramped (i never cared about cramping personally) and the db boost and cut are more accurate (Thanks Dan for pushing Harrison to make Mixbus sounding different than the earlier versions!)
Are we now able to select multiple tracks in the track list in the edition windows and make them active,visible or mute/solo etc all at once instead of doing that for each track. Is this also possible in the mixer view?
No. I have a hard time understanding the logic on Mixbus sometimes. If we select multiples tracks, it is for doing the same action on all of them at once. Why can't we make active, visible etc the selected tracks and this be it on the edit view, edit list, mixer? And without grouping them? For example you can make inactive the selected tracks on the edit windows but can't on the edit list or mixer, why? Even grouped when automating a fader of a left right track, only one fader record the automations. Why? Many parameters are not linked.
Can we copy/remove a plugin to multiple selected tracks?
No. And if you recall the mixer state with plugins tweaked, the plugins are recalled but in their default state. Why?

I was excited about this release mainly because of the flexibility of the compressors with the added attack and releases but in the test i could barely hear changes with the leveler (attack and release too subtle), the more noticeable changes happen with the compressor. With the limiter, i had the impression that the attack and release are reversed. The gate seems effective, i did not test it with a source that needed to be gated though. I think i will always need other plugin compressor to be satisfied.
Visually Mixbus is to clutered now. There is much better way to implement the graphical changes. I liked the black background for the channel names in v7. It was more easy to read. I tried to change the color in the settings in v9 but failed : it would be nice to highlight what will be affected in the color settings because it is very unclear to know what color or what part of Mixbus will be changed. 
Overall this kind of upgrade suit me more than the v8 but the implementation need to be improved in v9
Also, I wonder if the regular mixbus will have more mixer features, I cant afford mixbus 32c upgrades all the times so maybe ill see what the regular mixbus will offer,
Indeed Bravo Harrison!
So far very very happy with this new release.
As usual some visual tweaks to fit my needs, but overall I have no problem with the new design/layout.
The new features around eq, comp, gate, etc. are very welcome....well still so many things to discover and be familiar with.
Cheers!

rw
Win11x64,Asus TUF X570-PLUS RYZEN 7, 16g, UAD-2 quad USB, Sound Device-MixPre6 mkII, Mixbus 32C v9
+1 to Harrison I think. I've playing with v9 and very happy. However, I am bemoaning the lack of a side chain input to the new compressor and gate modules though. I wonder if there's a back door via lua where we get access to the routing links that may 'perhaps' have the unused inputs? Anyone know? I am well aware of all the excellent x42 plugins etc - but that just breaks the smugness of being able to trigger a channel from another channel from within the readymade strips.

Wishing and hoping more than expecting.

Great update to a great product imo.

@newcomerm. Completely agree with 'If we select multiples tracks, it is for doing the same action on all of them at once.' +1 from me on that!
[MB32C v9, Soundscape, 11th Gen i9 5GHz, 32GB, Win 11 Pro, 2TB+ M.2 SSD, Control|24, MCS-3800, Dante & MADI network]
(03-28-2023, 09:31 AM)DeeKay789 Wrote: +1 to Harrison I think. I've playing with v9 and very happy. However, I am bemoaning the lack of a side chain input to the new compressor and gate modules though. I wonder if there's a back door via lua where we get access to the routing links that may 'perhaps' have the unused inputs?  Anyone know? I am well aware of all the excellent x42 plugins etc - but that just breaks the smugness of being able to trigger a channel from another channel from within the readymade strips.

As far as I know, you can't use a direct connection to one of the embedded compressors. But you might use parallel compression by sending the channel directly to a mixbus that uses the compressor as you wish or make a utility bus and use an "External send" from the plugin area to it.

EDIT: Maybe not a good idea, I'm messing with it now. Depending on the usage, another compressor with a sidechain input would be way better if the goal is ducking or pumping. I find the ACE compressor good for this purpose, but this doesn't answer your question I'm afraid.
(03-27-2023, 06:48 AM)Stephan S Wrote:

I seem to take the same road on this. Anyway- the sound options of the new dynamics justify almost everything. Great improvement.

Well, I spent yesterday evening and all morning today playing with scaling and resolutions and I can definitely say I’m coming around to the new mixer in V9!!  A 43” UHD works well for the scaling.  (now if only Harrison can make the sluggish visuals (meters) on V8 and V9 in MacOS behave better, life would be great.  I have a fast Hackintosh w/ a good GPU and all other apps including Logic Pro have great graphics response.  If not, I guess my only recourse is to just dual boot or run Windows on a different machine. I do primarily MIDI work and find LPX better suited for MIDI tracking and editing)

And aside for some quirks with an X-Touch, MCU appears better behaved overall as well.  I’ve not tried the X-Touch with the new additions to the channel strip.  Harrison, any insights into this?

Nice new release!
MB, MB32C, V10, Win 7/10, MacOS Catalina and Ventura, MBP & Ryzen platforms, nVidia and Radeon GPU’s, Focusrite Saffire Pro 40, Mackie Onyx 1640, X-Touch, 43” UHD, x2 27” 4K

Yup. What I initially did was to load up a few recent sessions and try to replace all my compressor and gate plugins with the new MB32C comps & gates to see how close they could emulate the sound and/or improve the sound. Sound wise I'm happy but in the end I couldn't consider the new inline versions as replacements for very many at all as what I most often do is use side chains. All other mild compression/limiting/levelling I did anyway using the original v8 'by the fader' versions (which I am sad to see go too btw).

fwiw. I'd like to see the fader comp/leveller/lim return to the fader plate ** as a second ** inline tool. Two comps as an inline tool would be the cream!

[EDIT] side chaining a channel to a mixbus used to be possible I thought. Has that now gone? I can set up an audio channel as a side chain send (rt click>Pin Assignments...) to a MIDI track but not a mixbus. I'm missing sth obvious!
[MB32C v9, Soundscape, 11th Gen i9 5GHz, 32GB, Win 11 Pro, 2TB+ M.2 SSD, Control|24, MCS-3800, Dante & MADI network]
Is there a gain reduction meter of the master bus comp? If so I am blind and would appreciate it if someone gives me a hint…
2023 Mac mini m2pro with 32GB RAM with audient id44mk2