Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Optical overhaul, colors
Personally I would love a bright mode.
2 palettes to choose from.
One as we have, and one bright (well, it would be cool if it also had a tad of a different feel, like OP suggests, but that's not the main point).
My argument for a bright mode: MB can be rather difficult to work in on sunny days. Big Grin
@krans - good idea, two contrasting styles to choose from and plenty of room to tweek within for personal preference.
Sun glasses mode or after dark....
Macmini 8,1 | OS X 13.6.3 | 3 GHz i5 32G | Scarlett 18i20 | Mixbus 10 | PT_2024.3.1 .....  Macmini 9,1 | OS X 14.4.1 | M1 2020 | Mixbus 10 | Resolve 18.6.5
Exactly!
The bright mode could even be based on the looks from XT plugins. They're bright and already have character.
And of course it could have boxy buttons as default or other small tweaks that would make it feel like something a little different.
Maybe an "Original" mode and a bright "Modern" mode. Something like that.
It wouldn't have to be a rebuild of the GUI at all, simply a button that would change the GUI into a different look that's already pretty much possible by re-theming.
Would be handy and refreshing.
(03-06-2023, 04:09 AM)krans Wrote: Maybe an "Original" mode and a bright "Modern" mode. Something like that.
It wouldn't have to be a rebuild of the GUI at all, simply a button that would change the GUI into a different look that's already pretty much possible by re-theming.

Maybe some official downloadable themes? I recall one user created some a while ago but haven't seen them around for a while.
Mixbus 32C, Debian Bookworm/KDE, EVE SC205 + ADAM Sub 8 monitors, Soundcraft Compact 4, M-Audio 2496, i5 6500, 16GB RAM, WD Blue SSD 1TB, 48" LG OLED, other stuff.
Work as house engineer at a popular venue in Melbourne AU. On a quest for the holy grail, the perfect amount of cowbell.

(03-05-2023, 06:10 PM)Andy76 Wrote: I personally like its brown color, its is very warm and 70-s like...

...well, that certainly is part of the problem...Mixbus deserves to look like "2023 with a beautiful, cool retro-vibe" but not "just stuck to the 1970s", optically. 
But that's just what it is at the moment, kind of, from an optical point of view. 

Even more because Mixbus has developed greatly on the technical side. Got turned into a fully useable, current production software still with a unique touch and sound. 

- Cubase is a total visual mess -
...well, this probably may be true in regards to operation and handling, it's not really clearly arranged visually but as for the design, colors and shapes it is pretty well done and sharp looking. 

- Pro Tools is very dull looking -
...well, you know, in actual fact Avid did a fantastic job with Pro Tools´ new "Dark Mode"...it turned Pro Tools from a stale, boring looking piece of software into a state-of-the-art, posh, high tech DAW visually. 
You still can switch to the old look, but, honestly, who would want to do that? However such a "two modes-solution", like suggested from other guys here already, could be a good thing for Mixbus too. 
The old style for those who still want it, the "modern" style (not only bright mode) for the other group of users as well as for new customers. 

- Logic is the best -
...well, Logic is ok but even similar to the Mixbus style...however 2023 instead...for those who love those brown shades of colors obviously. 

On the technical side Mixbus definitely is something special with it's console workflow, knob-per-function etc. and it is really fun to work with it, even more if you still come from the analog recording era 
like myself but nevertheless they have accomplished to implement all important functions and features which you don't want to miss nowadays in your DAW as well. 
Great job, Mixbus team! 

Therefor I would love to see Mixbus more often used by musicians, producers and engineers of the younger generation as well. 

A "two modes-solution" like managed by Avid for Pro Tools could be a great idea for Mixbus too. 
A new, modern one (still with a little Harrison retro-vibe) and the classic mode users can switch back to who would want to do that. 

- "Modern" will certainly kill this vibe and I hope this won't happen -
...well, honestly, I personally hope it will...just because I love Mixbus. 

Anyway. 

What will happen, will happen. 

Thanks and compliments again to the team for all the great technical work happened through the last versions of MB. 

Cheers everyone.
I'm surprised that no one has yet mentioned Reason Studios SSL style mixer.
I've only seen screenshots, but the graphics certainly look impressive.
Mixbus 32C with graphics of that calibre would be unbeatable.
(03-06-2023, 11:42 AM)ROG Wrote: I'm surprised that no one has yet mentioned Reason Studios SSL style mixer.
I've only seen screenshots, but the graphics certainly look impressive.
Mixbus 32C with graphics of that calibre would be unbeatable.

I just checked the Reason out.
It has exactly what I have been asking Mixbus for, the Spectrum EQ that has an overlay of the channel eq.
Adjusting in the overlay makes the changes on the knobs in the channel.

PLEASE PLEASE @Ben!
Mixbus 10 Pro 10.0.0
Apple Mac Studio M1 Ventura 13.6.7
PreSonus Quantum 2626
iCON V1-M & 2 Extenders
X-Touch & 2 Extenders
(03-05-2023, 06:10 PM)Andy76 Wrote:
(03-05-2023, 07:49 AM)Warevo Wrote: Most people who come from Pro Tools, Logic, Cubase etc. do not want to go in and do it theirselves. 
They just want to open their DAW and work in an inspiring and appealing environment. And it's not that Mixbus is ugly or something, not at all. 
It's just that it drags you too much kind of back in time from an optical point of view.

Cubase is a total visual mess. Protools is very dull looking. Logic is the best but not perfect and Ardour borrowed some elements from ProTools and Logic.

Maybe what you are talking about has to do with ugly 3d rendering from the 90s which Mixbus is using. Theses pseudo shadows are really off putting and need proper redesigning to be subtle and modern, not amateur.

The solution is to switch off 3d and use flat interface rendering.

As to the interface itself Mixbus is head and shoulders superior to all DAWs because it has knob-per-function and scalable size and big fader caps and small meters (for weird reason almost all other DAWs have it backwards), it has console workflow which other DAW are sadly lacking.

I personally like its brown color, its is very warm and 70-s like. It makes it unique and creates a vintage vibe. "Modern" will certainly kill this vibe and I hope this wont happen. I hope the changes in UI Ben is talking about wont do it either.

@Andy76 -

Thanks for the suggestion (reminder) about the "flat" interface option. I tried it last night and the "LEDs" on the sends, and other buttons just seem to pop out now;
certainly more visible than with the "shadowed" version.

Cheers!
Patrick
(03-06-2023, 01:12 AM)krans Wrote: Personally I would love a bright mode.
2 palettes to choose from.
One as we have, and one bright (well, it would be cool if it also had a tad of a different feel, like OP suggests, but that's not the main point).
My argument for a bright mode: MB can be rather difficult to work in on sunny days. Big Grin

Hear hear!!! The dark theme makes it very difficult to read for me. Even with reading glasses. I just need more background light. On my Mac, i have a shortcut set to quickly zoom in: preferences -> accessibillity -> zoom -> cmd-option-8 turns it on or off, but, would definately prefer to have a quick "light" theme button, instead of having to change and try _every_ little detail in the color preferences pane. Sometimes you _can_ have too many choices.
I saw Ben stat that the "colors" topic was ma hot one -- but it does not seem obvious to me as to how to make use of theme .color files.

Can someone help with how to load theme, a ".colors" file?
Or, is there a menu pick or preferences serving where I can specify which .colors file I want to use? If so, can it be "previewed" first?