Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A Few Questions
1. How to batch color multiple tracks?

I don't like a session having more than 4 track colors. But I can only color one track where my mouse hovers, after selecting multiple tracks. A keyboard shortcut related doesn't seem available. What if I'm mixing 100 tracks, do I have to color 100 times? (Don't tell me to group, I don't wanna unify the levels)

Logically, every move should happen on all selecting tracks, just because they are together selected. But most moves in Mixbus only affect 1 single track regardless of the selection, you need hotkeys for batch mute/solo etc.. What's the point of multi-selection then?

2. How to switch the panning knob of a stereo channel to L&R panning knobs?

I was so amazed that the topic is not even referred in the manual. I know the sole panning knob balances the signal between L and R, but there are cases for controlling the stereo width with double knobs. E.g., a stereo overhead drum wishes to be panned L 55 and R 45. This can't be achieved without double panning knobs. (No I don't wanna use any extra plugin)

3. Solid requests for "stereo <--> 2 mono" mutual converting. And it's NOT in the Scripting.

In the manual you mentioned:
"If you are “importing” a track to mix, the best way is to make this decision during the import operation."
"If you have recorded a stereo track, and later want to split it into 2 mono tracks, you should first ask yourself why you did this recording in stereo, at all :)"

The problem is, as a mixing engineer, the tracks are not recorded by me in most cases. Actually I don't have any clue about the sounds at all before importing all the tracks into the session. Most mixing engineers make decisions while editing the tracks: splitting, deleting, compounding...and stereo/mono deciding. There are cases like, extract L of guitar A and R of guitar B, then compound the L and R into a new stereo guitar track. Such kind of decision can't be made at the audio importing phase. So we need the converting at both direction.

Your manual told me, "stereo to 2 mono" can be achieved in the Scripting function, but I didn't find this option, entering the command manually results in an error. See attachment. 
For the other way round, you offered "Group" as an option. For Group the processor settings still need to be made seperately, tracks are not slimmed down. With converting to a stereo track, the entire project seems more simplified. 
An alternative you gave is to export the 2 mono to a stereo and then import the stereo back. Not to mention the troubles, you should have known that what you exported doesn't sound exactly like what you hear in the DAW. That's not just Mixbus problem, every DAW has this problem. So mixers never do export but rather recording the final bus. Recording the 2 mono then? Pooh...

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Mixbus 10 Mac 13.6 | i5-13600K | 32GB Ram
@tommym:  thanks for these insightful questions.

Mixbus is slightly different than other DAWs, particularly in the signal flow.  I see little benefit in creating another DAW that works 'just like all the others'.

Regarding your specific issues:

1) regarding multi-select and coloring: if you select multiple track headers (so they turn red) and then right-click on the header and choose 'Color',  you can choose a color to apply to all the selected tracks.  In this way you can color 100 tracks at once.

1a)  It is the case that selecting multiple channels has an effect in some ways (like coloring, above) but unfortunately it does not currently allow you to move 1 fader and have the other selected faders move  (*)  ... this is a common request that is on our ToDo list.

2) regarding dual-mono panning:   the intent of Mixbus is to recreate the behaviors of an analog mixing console, and our design only has a single pan-pot for each channel.  In the case of a mono channel, it is a panner and in the case of a stereo channel, it is a 'balance' control which has the important distinction that it will never introduce any of the L signal in the R channel, and vice versa.  This allows you to balance the volume of the stereo track while retaining stereo phase information.  (stereo is not the same as 2 mono signals!  in the same way that a 5.1 surround is not "just 6 mono signals"

3) regarding mono/stereo track importing:  when you receive tracks from someone else, you should likely import all your tracks with the option "one track per channel" ... this will split any stereo tracks into 2 mono channels which can be independently panned or processed.  Often I find that people send me 'stereo' tracks that are really the same signal on both sides.  In this case I can just delete one of them.  If you have some specific tracks that you *know* are stereo (with phase/imaging information that needs to remain intact),  then you can skip importing those, and then import them with the selection "one track per file" which preserves the stereo-ness.

I hope this helps!
-Ben

(*) actually, if you multi-select tracks in the Mixer window,  then you can mute the selection with M, or nudge the faders up/down with the arrow keys.
regarding 2: you can insert stereo tool from fluxx audio as a vst plugin and just do whatever you want in stereothings Wink
2023 Mac mini m2pro with 32GB RAM with audient id44mk2
3. I use this script to convert stereo to mono.Stereo to mono script
https://github.com/Ardour/ardour/blob/ma...o_mono.lua

/Patrik
@Ben@Harrison:

Thanks for your patient replies. By reading through the manual and your words, I can fully understand how proud the whole Mixbus Team feels of being distinguish from all the other DAWs. As a user, I'm also proud of the sound I can produce with Mixbus. Yet that doesn't conflict with the image of a user-friendly operating interface. Nice Sound + Smooth Operation = Terrific DAW = Market Success.

Regarding my issue 1), it was my oversight. While choosing the color after multi-select, the color preview does only affect 1 track, I didn't click to the end to realize that the coloring can affect all tracks. A potiential update would be that coloring can be previewed on all selecting tracks. 

My issue 2) is actually the consequence of issue 3). Just because converting between stereo and 2 mono in the edit window is restricted, I need duo-mono panning more than ever. I don't think it will break the creed of analog mixing flow, just by adding a duo-mono function with a right-click on the single panner. 

For issue 3), well, you have the final say. I'll just re-import the file if not satisfied with the channel format. Piling up all the 2 mono files is for me a kind of stress. 

Regards
(02-28-2023, 11:38 AM)arthie Wrote: regarding 2: you can insert stereo tool from fluxx audio as a vst plugin and just do whatever you want in stereothings Wink

ayeee just don't wanna use any 3rd party plugins  Sleepy
(02-28-2023, 01:35 PM)Patrik Wrote: 3. I use this script to convert stereo to mono.Stereo to mono script

/Patrik

Wow that looks so fancy. But how to use it? Sorry I have zero coding knowledge...Copy them all into the scripting window?
(03-01-2023, 06:59 AM)tommym Wrote:
(02-28-2023, 11:38 AM)arthie Wrote: regarding 2: you can insert stereo tool from fluxx audio as a vst plugin and just do whatever you want in stereothings Wink

ayeee just don't wanna use any 3rd party plugins  Sleepy

I used it even in my proTools days, because it adds a lot of functionality. My normal way to go when my software does not support something I need for my workflow is not "hoping that the dev changes anything about it", but search for a solution. Easiest way is a PlugIn. But if you do not want that, nobody forces you to, it was just a hint for a potential solution. Another way could be, that you just make two mono-auxes and rout your stereo track to them. afterwards your could use stereo paner or both mono panners. Perhaps that is something that works for you, I think the PlugIn is more handy.
2023 Mac mini m2pro with 32GB RAM with audient id44mk2
(02-28-2023, 11:13 AM)Ben@Harrison Wrote: 1) regarding multi-select and coloring: if you select multiple track headers (so they turn red) and then right-click on the header and choose 'Color',  you can choose a color to apply to all the selected tracks.  In this way you can color 100 tracks at once.

1a)  It is the case that selecting multiple channels has an effect in some ways (like coloring, above) but unfortunately it does not currently allow you to move 1 fader and have the other selected faders move  (*)  ... this is a common request that is on our ToDo list.

whoa, how obvious, how could I miss this :-o
Thanks, Ben!!

Regarding the dual panning pots: you could add features like utility inline blocks/tools to easily offer those tasks without the need for extra windows and without touching the original "analog layout" Dodgy
(03-01-2023, 07:02 AM)tommym Wrote:
(02-28-2023, 01:35 PM)Patrik Wrote: 3. I use this script to convert stereo to mono.Stereo to mono script

/Patrik

Wow that looks so fancy. But how to use it? Sorry I have zero coding knowledge...Copy them all into the scripting window?

A good description in the last post in this thread
https://forum.harrisonconsoles.com/thread-8475.html

Here it is:
1 copy the script
2 open: windows/scripting
3 select all lines and delete them
4 paste the new script and hit the save button
5 open script manager choose action and add/set
you should now see it in the shortcut list - if not hit Refresh

In addition to that you can add it to one of the LUA action button if used frequently. 

Also Ben Loftis LUA 101 thread is a good start
https://forum.harrisonconsoles.com/thread-4331.html

Select the stereo track that you want to convert and hit the action script button or just run the script.

Hope it helps. /Patrik