Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Upgrading my Mac
Upgrading from an 2012 Mac Mini i7 Quad Core, 16GB RAM (Great mac imo), to a 2018 i7 6 Core 32 GB RAM unit running Catalina on both...
I am hoping my investment will help un-fuck my Mixbus experience.  Laggy and not very responsive graphics, meters and dial controls a chore to accurately adjust..

If anyone is still getting these graphics issues with a 2018 Mac or one from the last 4 yrs, please chime in.  M1 is not in my budget at the minute and I just took on enough work to keep me busy for a while...

Am I also understanding that even if I buy an M1, the ARM version still doesn't work 100%?  I read something about people using the Intel version with Rosetta...sort of defeats the purpose doesn't it?
(12-22-2022, 04:00 PM)Hepburn_73 Wrote: Upgrading from an 2012 Mac Mini i7 Quad Core, 16GB RAM (Great mac imo), to a 2018 i7 6 Core 32 GB RAM unit running Catalina on both...
I am hoping my investment will help un-fuck my Mixbus experience.  Laggy and not very responsive graphics, meters and dial controls a chore to accurately adjust..

If anyone is still getting these graphics issues with a 2018 Mac or one from the last 4 yrs, please chime in.  M1 is not in my budget at the minute and I just took on enough work to keep me busy for a while...

I am using a 2018 Mac mini 3 GHz 6-Core Intel Core i5 with 32BG RAM using Catalina with Intel UHD Graphics 630 1536 MB and am having no issue.

(12-22-2022, 04:00 PM)Hepburn_73 Wrote: Am I also understanding that even if I buy an M1, the ARM version still doesn't work 100%?  I read something about people using the Intel version with Rosetta...sort of defeats the purpose doesn't it?

Mixbus on M1 is working, what is holding some people back is that some Harrison (AVA) and third party VST plugins are not yet M1 compatible.
You can however use XT (LV2) and AU versions without any issue on M1 native.
My second rig is a Mac mini M1 2020 with 16GB RAM running Monterey and using Rosetta it runs rings around the Intel version.
So no the purpose is not defeated... we are in a transition period.
Macmini 8,1 | OS X 13.6.3 | 3 GHz i5 32G | Scarlett 18i20 | Mixbus 10 | PT_2024.3.1 .....  Macmini 9,1 | OS X 14.4.1 | M1 2020 | Mixbus 10 | Resolve 18.6.5
I think running mixbus on apple silicon is the best way to experience mixbus. It’s runs extremely smooth for me.
(12-22-2022, 07:23 PM)Skyking11 Wrote: I think running mixbus on apple silicon is the best way to experience mixbus. It’s runs extremely smooth for me.

Not really. I mean Mixbus runs smoothly as long as you are not mixing apple silicon with non apple silicon ones. The moment you start adding none native plugins, Mixbus will start  to lag. I was trying to do some tutorial videos and I'm just finding it really hard to to weak and explain at the same time.
Thanks to everyone, you really made a case for Apple M1..it is just the cost at the minute, but...a 2018 mini with bells and whistles is not far off..

I am not opposed to the Intel route, I use a lot of Izotope, Slate Digital and Kush Audio plugs and am hoping with these being decent 'brands' with tech development ongoing..that in the next while, things will get better.

I started down this road with v8 and am contemplating going back to v6 which was so stable for me. At least until I can upgrade.

Dingo, Skyking11 and Studio Saturn..thanks again.