Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
MB Version 8 scratchy playback
I have been using MB on a MAC Mini since 2016 (late 2014 mc mini).  Have had versions 2,3,4,5,6 and now 8.  
I just started using Version 8.
Mixbus 8.1.378
(rev 8.1-378-gd69ff4cf6c)
Intel 64-bit

Never had this problem before:

I only have 1 imported track and I record 2 to 6 bass tracks to the imported track so its not a large volume mix.  After a while the playback gets scratchy sounding and eventually becomes unbearable to use.  If I save and quit mixbus and restart it, it goes away for a while but them returns again.  I've gone back to ver 6 and it does not have this problem.  I've tried doing my recording on an external SSD drive and it does exactly the same thing.  I have plenty of disk space and have deleted lots of old runs to free up the internal drive space.  Nothing helps.

Anyone seen/heard this on MB V8 MacOs?
I believe I have found the problem creating the scratchy playback I reported.  I use Scarlet Focusrite 18i8 for my input device and my output device.  I had only set the input device to the Scarlet.  The output device was set to "Built-In Output" either by accident or a default that I overlooked.  I believe the "Hardware Output Latency" was too great (733 samples) and it caught up with the buffer somehow and caused the distortion/scratchy sound at times (not always).

Now here's the instigation of my overlooking this:
In V6 I always saw the "Audio/Midi Setup" when starting a "new session" and when opening an "existing session".  Now in V8 once the session is created the "Audio/Midi Setup" window does NOT open up when starting an existing session. So I didn't see this incorrect setting for the "Output Device".

Somewhere in V7 or V8 this displaying of the "Audio/Midi Setup" has changed to "Do Not Display" when existing sessions are opened.

Is there a setting in preferences where one can change to "Always Show" when opening New and Existing sessions the "Audio/Midi Setup"?

I also know now that "Audio/Midi Setup" can be observed manually in the session with the GUI "Window" pull down.