Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Do I need a new Mac or…
Just checking really (and I think I know the answer). 

Do I need a new MacBook or are there some settings that I haven’t configured properly?

I’ve got a late 2013 MacBook Pro, 16gb ram, intel i7. 

My current project has about 20 tracks, all audio.
Scrolling around the screen is slow and I can barely use the meters as they don’t show in real time during playback.
I mainly use T-Racks plugins for reverbs or specific compressors but I have a few SSL plugins that seem to really drain the system. One plug-in, the Sonox Claro (similar to Pro-q) crashes the session if I try and copy it to other tracks. 
Rendering a song takes around 5mins and the fan goes crazy. 

To be honest, I’ve been using Mixbus 32c for about six years and it’s always been like this - hence why I’m wondering if I’ve just got it set up wrong?
I would expect much better performance from that spec.

One obvious thing you could look at is in General Preferences - check that the machine is set to use all available cores.

Other than that, maybe it's just the usual junk which accumulates in older machines and which needs a good clear-out.
@Dazzathedrumer - are your sessions running off the Internal HD or are you using an external Drive ?
I see you have been using 32C for about six years, so was v4 or 5 showing the same sluggish performance ?
2013 MacBook Pro was released with Mavericks... are you still running that ?
Also check these links, it can often be the cause of slow graphics on laptop..

https://support.apple.com/en-au/guide/ma...lp2492/mac

https://support.apple.com/en-au/HT202043
Macmini 8,1 | OS X 13.6.3 | 3 GHz i5 32G | Scarlett 18i20 | Mixbus 10 | PT_2024.3.1 .....  Macmini 9,1 | OS X 14.4.1 | M1 2020 | Mixbus 10 | Resolve 18.6.5
I've got it set to 'All available processors' - I've just increased the Disk IO buffering to 'Large Session' to see if that makes a difference - although it's playing back fine, seems to be more of a memory/GPU thing.

Everything's running from the internal SSD.
I would highly recommend using an external USB3 or TB2 drive.
When possible the startup / system drive should not be used for audio or video projects, doing so can give you reduced performance.
Macmini 8,1 | OS X 13.6.3 | 3 GHz i5 32G | Scarlett 18i20 | Mixbus 10 | PT_2024.3.1 .....  Macmini 9,1 | OS X 14.4.1 | M1 2020 | Mixbus 10 | Resolve 18.6.5
@Dazzathedrummer - I know this isn't something you'll want to hear but have you ever thought of configuring your Mac to dual-boot into Windows? I've owned 3 x Macs in my lifetime. I prefer using Macs because they're very quiet but in my experience, I've always found they performs hugely better if I set them up for Windows. Hell, If I start the MB transport rolling and then just click on one of the menu options (Session / Transport / Edit etc) the Editor window in MacOS totally freezes!! And that's on a very powerful Mac Pro with 20 cores!!
Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit...
Wisdom is knowing you don't put tomatoes in a fruit salad !!
@Dazzathedrummer -
Do you have any anti-virus software running? If so, disconnect your machine from any LAN or WiFi networks it's on and turn off that software.
Also, as ROG suggested, perform a system cleanup of all outdated temporary files.
Lastly, try running your session(s) without your third-party (ie., non-Harrison) plugins, just to see if they perform better;
you need to know if they are contributing to the issue.
A 10-year-old i7 w/ 16 GB RAM should run lots more than 20 audio tracks!!!
Cheers!
Patrick
@Dazzathedrummer:

Regarding the slow meters: this is a known issue with certain older macbooks, here is some discussion:
https://forum.harrisonconsoles.com/threa...l#pid60839

Short answer:  now that the M1 is out, we've stopped making the builds for older machines.  So if you have one of those specific models that were affected, then yes it might be time for a new mac.

Your problem with cpu usage and fans during export is normal:  the intent of export is to use your cpu's at 100% so the export will be faster than realtime.  If you haven't cleaned out your mac in 9+ years,  your fans are just trying to overcome all that dust on the heatsinks  Smile

-Ben
(12-05-2022, 09:28 AM)Ben@Harrison Wrote: @Dazzathedrummer:

Regarding the slow meters: this is a known issue with certain older macbooks, here is some discussion:
https://forum.harrisonconsoles.com/threa...l#pid60839

Short answer:  now that the M1 is out, we've stopped making the builds for older machines.  So if you have one of those specific models that were affected, then yes it might be time for a new mac.

Your problem with cpu usage and fans during export is normal:  the intent of export is to use your cpu's at 100% so the export will be faster than realtime.  If you haven't cleaned out your mac in 9+ years,  your fans are just trying to overcome all that dust on the heatsinks  Smile

-Ben

Thanks Ben - I'm leaning more towards the Mac needing to be replaced - I'm having trouble with Logic too so it's not just an MB problem.
I've got an M1 MacBook for work so I'll give MB a try on that.