Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
very unhappy with Mixbus 8...
hmmm ..... deleted the user preference folders (had them for MB 3,4,5,6,7 &8 ) and seemed to help initially - but today I had another similar "MixBus not responding" lockup...
(10-02-2022, 01:13 AM)johne53 Wrote: I'm interested to see all that stuff about the compiler and linker flags. Are you building Mixbus yourself?
Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit...
Wisdom is knowing you don't put tomatoes in a fruit salad !!
(10-04-2022, 12:36 AM)rockandroller Wrote: hmmm ..... deleted the user preference folders (had them for MB 3,4,5,6,7 &8 ) and seemed to help initially - but today I had another similar "MixBus not responding" lockup...

I know this is the last thing you want to hear....... go buy a M1 mac mini. Dirt cheap, tiny, silent, works day in and out. Make it a dedicated DAW machine only. Get 2 external SSD's and a quality USB 3 hub. Get everything installed and working, turn on time machine, set one of the SSD's for TM and the other for Audio files only. Install apps to the local drive. And most importantly..... Once the OSX it ships with gets to its final version,... turn off auto updates and disconnect it from the internet and turn off wifi........ 

then never look back, no more spending 20% of your time playing IT instead of working.

Im not a know it all and by no means am I wanting to start a this V that debate. Just trying to give you a heads up - you spent 10x the cost of a dedicated machine in your time already. 99% of my computer issues vanished when I left Windows as my DAW machine.
OSX, i9 10850k, 64GB, MixBus 32C, Logic Pro X, Metric Halo ULN8 3d & 2882 3d, Icon Qcon Pro X & Icon Qcon Pro XS
I've been using Macs for audio/video professionally on and off since the 1980s. I have owned various macs ( including a mini for a while) but sworn off the Mac ecosystem in recent years.
I would prefer not to use WINDOWS either, but unfortunately some essential pieces of production software are not available for linux yet. SAD BUT TRUE!!
I havent seen these kind of random application crashes on WINDOWS since the days of Win2000 or Vista! Nothing else  on this system crashes like that ( and its loaded with various production software. MixBus was running solidly up until version 8 ( 7 was a touch flaky too, but nothing like this!!)
I had no problems whatsoever on this machine in MB 3,4,5,6...

Today I have a very reliable CRASH, and the program crashes so hard that it doesn't recover ( no offer to recover afterward, so I lose everything since previous save)
( I am  in "save early, save often!!!" mode now...)

I have a six-track project with a lot of various clips ( its a halloween soundtrack mix)

If I multiselect several clips on a track, and try to slide them over to the right ( move them closer to the end of the project) - both windows just instantaneously close, mid-drag!!
see attachment for the sort of multiselect I am referring to (circled)  - this is the current crashtastic project in progress 

This "BOOM, OUT GO THE LIGHTS" has happened several times in the last thirty minutes (but  not EVERY time I slide some selected clips, of course...)

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

@rockandroller I would suggest you contact support mixbus@harrisonconsoles.com and add a copy of the session.ardour file and see if they can find any issues.
Macmini 8,1 | OS X 13.6.3 | 3 GHz i5 32G | Scarlett 18i20 | Mixbus 10 | PT_2024.3.1 .....  Macmini 9,1 | OS X 14.4.1 | M1 2020 | Mixbus 10 | Resolve 18.6.5
(10-04-2022, 02:50 AM)johne53 Wrote:
(10-02-2022, 01:13 AM)johne53 Wrote: I'm interested to see all that stuff about the compiler and linker flags. Are you building Mixbus yourself?

Nope! just running the installer. That stuff came from a crash log (speaking of whihc i found an actual mixbus crash log recently, need to pass it to support)
@rockandroller - when things like this happen, try and get into the habit of launching MB from a Windows Command Prompt (rather than by double-clicking). I know it's a bit of a faff but sometimes MB will print out some text just before it crashes and this can be very helpful in tracking down the problem.

BTW - it looks like most of your timeline clips are coloured either white or pink. But in the area that you circled I can see a few vertical lines coloured orange. These don't seem to occur anywhere else so I'm just wondering if they're a factor in the crashes. What are they?
Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit...
Wisdom is knowing you don't put tomatoes in a fruit salad !!
@rockandroller -

I know your project is about to meet its deadline but, if you still have not received a fix from Miixbus Support, try this:

I see, by your screen shot, that you have quite a few clips in your session.
I wonder if the number of clips is actually contributing to your situation?
  1) Try exporting stems of the tracks you're not editing at the time and import them into new tracks.
  2) Then, disable their existing source tracks.
Does your session become more stable?
If so, then you should be able to complete your edits and deliver your commitment.

Cheers!
Patrick