Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Glue to Bars and Beats
If I've a Cue Marker track with some markers on it I can right-click on a marker and some options come up. One of these is called Glue to Bars and Beats. What does it do??

I'd assumed that if I select it and then try to re-position a marker it'd 'jump' to be on a bar or beat - but that doesn't seem to happen. What I'm seeing here is that no matter where I position a marker, playback always seems to start a second or so after the Playhead reaches the relevant marker. Is that the intended behaviour?
Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit...
Wisdom is knowing you don't put tomatoes in a fruit salad !!
@johne53:  

Glue to bar&beats tells an item (either a marker or a region on the timeline) that it should consider itself part of the BBT (bars,beats,ticks)  'music' timeline, rather than the sample timeline.  Items on the BBT timeline will shift when you change the tempo.  Items on the sample-timeline will not.  This is a very complicated topic and it is being addressed through the 8.x release cycle.

Regarding the delay when the clip is launched:  each clip can have a different quantization setting ... most clips will use the default quantization of '1 bar',  meaning:  after you pass the Cue marker, the clip(s) will start playing when they reach the next bar line.    This default behavior is what keeps your clips in sync:  your drums, bass and keyboard clips will all wait for a new bar to start, and they they will fire at the same time.

You can select each clip  (or a whole row, or column) and assign them a quantization 'none' ... in that case they will fire immediately when the Cue Marker is passed on the timeline.
Great explanation Ben, thanks. One more thing that's puzzling me - let's say I've the following scenario...

If I press the transport Play key (with Rec Cues enabled) the cue marker labelled 'F' will get erased as the Playhead passes over it. So what's Rec Cues doing? Is it a way of recording actual Cue audio? Or a way of erasing and recording new Cue Markers?
(08-07-2022, 09:30 AM)johne53 Wrote: Great explanation Ben, thanks. One more thing that's puzzling me - let's say I've the following scenario...

If I press the transport Play key (with Rec Cues enabled) the cue marker labelled 'F' will get erased as the Playhead passes over it. So what's Rec Cues doing? Is it a way of recording actual Cue audio? Or a way of erasing and recording new Cue Markers?

Rec Cues enables realtime spotting or recording of Cue markers, with Rec Cues enabled you can hit the F keys or the ABC etc on the Cue page to define cue markers on the fly.
When Rec Cues is armed, the ABC etc slots turn red on the Cue Page, Record Cues is destructive and will record over previous cues.
Macmini 8,1 | OS X 13.6.3 | 3 GHz i5 32G | Scarlett 18i20 | Mixbus 10 | PT_2024.3.1 .....  Macmini 9,1 | OS X 14.4.1 | M1 2020 | Mixbus 10 | Resolve 18.6.5
(08-07-2022, 06:08 PM)Dingo Wrote: Rec Cues enables realtime spotting or recording of Cue markers, with Rec Cues enabled you can hit the F keys

Thanks Dingo - is that working for you on Mac? I've spent over an hour here on Windows, selecting Rec Cues, hitting Play and then pressing F1 / F2 / F3 etc. The first time, nothing seemed to happen until I pressed Stop - at which point some new Cue markers appeared on my timeline. But since then, repeating that operation hasn't done anything at all  Sad

Do you know of a Youtube video showing this?
The Cues do not update in real time, they resolve when you hit stop.
When you stop Rec_Cue disarms (same behaviour as Audio / MIDI Record).
Each time you want to record cues you have to re-arm.
Macmini 8,1 | OS X 13.6.3 | 3 GHz i5 32G | Scarlett 18i20 | Mixbus 10 | PT_2024.3.1 .....  Macmini 9,1 | OS X 14.4.1 | M1 2020 | Mixbus 10 | Resolve 18.6.5
(08-08-2022, 04:06 AM)Dingo Wrote: When you stop Rec_Cue disarms (same behaviour as Audio / MIDI Record).
Each time you want to record cues you have to re-arm.

Yeah, I got caught out by that the first time but even when Rec Cues is armed, I'm still not getting the new markers created here (most of the time, anyway  Sad )
(08-08-2022, 04:28 AM)johne53 Wrote: I'm still not getting the new markers created here (most of the time, anyway  Sad )

I might've just figured it out... F1 / F2 / F3 etc all act as triggers if pressed from within the Cues window but not if pressed from within the Editor window. I'm almost sure I once managed to make them work from within the Editor window 'cos I remember the Cue markers all appearing after I pressed Stop...  Huh
(08-07-2022, 08:02 AM)Ben@Harrison Wrote: @johne53:  

Glue to bar&beats tells an item (either a marker or a region on the timeline) that it should consider itself part of the BBT (bars,beats,ticks)  'music' timeline, rather than the sample timeline.  Items on the BBT timeline will shift when you change the tempo.  Items on the sample-timeline will not.  This is a very complicated topic and it is being addressed through the 8.x release cycle.

Regarding the delay when the clip is launched:  each clip can have a different quantization setting ... most clips will use the default quantization of '1 bar',  meaning:  after you pass the Cue marker, the clip(s) will start playing when they reach the next bar line.    This default behavior is what keeps your clips in sync:  your drums, bass and keyboard clips will all wait for a new bar to start, and they they will fire at the same time.

You can select each clip  (or a whole row, or column) and assign them a quantization 'none' ... in that case they will fire immediately when the Cue Marker is passed on the timeline.

Ben,
How do I disable BBT.  I must have enabled it by mistake, and now I have oodles of snippits but cannot get BBT to go away. 
Thanks!
DigiMix
iMac i7 4Ghz | OS X 10.14.6 | 64 GB | Mixbus 8.2.66c & Mixbus 6.1.22| MOTU 828Mk3 Firewire MOTU 828Mk3 192 kHz Hybrid Firewire |"Rock Solid Sound Since 1980" |