Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
connection to control surface lost
The connection between Mixbus and my x-touch and extender will randomly go away. In the middle of a session, all of a sudden the control surface will just "die". It will do nothing, and moving faders on MB via the mouse will not generate any movement of the fader on the control surface. The only way to get it back, is to shut down the session, close mixbus (32c v6) and then restart. "Discover Mackie Device" does not work. Powering off and restarting the control surface does not work. 

I checked to make sure that the usb power control is off, i.e. windows will not power down the usb port if it is not being used. 

Very annoying.  Not to mention that if the control surface is not powered on before MB is launched, it will not be discovered. Don't know if Harrison is working on the bug. 

Ideas anyone?
Yes they did... Ver 8.
6 was worse than 5 with some issues.
7 got better, but introduced some lil nit picky issues.
8.0.106 did better with those introduced issues, but had some other issues that they had to pull back to 8.0.17
Newer upcoming (don't know when exactly) 8.x.x will most likely do even better.
(05-29-2022, 01:52 PM)jeff_sloan Wrote: Yes they did... Ver 8.
6 was worse than 5 with some issues.
7 got better, but introduced some lil nit picky issues.
8.0.106 did better with those introduced issues, but had some other issues that they had to pull back to 8.0.17
Newer upcoming (don't know when exactly) 8.x.x will most likely do even better.
Jeff,

"Yes they did"  to which issue: the control surface losing connection, or the control surface not be recognized at all if MB is already running?
This happens to me sometimes as well. What I do is stop the audio engine, disconnect and reconnect my usb controller, and then start the audio engine. It's a break in my workflow for sure but much better than turning off/shutting down anything, not to mention restarting the whole dang pc.
As a general rule avoid having your interface or controller hanging off a hub.
Ideally these devices should be connected to a primary USB port. also depending on your hardware, some USB ports function better / more stable than others.
MacPro for instance has four USB ports two of which are higher rated than the others.
Macmini 8,1 | OS X 13.6.3 | 3 GHz i5 32G | Scarlett 18i20 | Mixbus 10 | PT_2024.3.1 .....  Macmini 9,1 | OS X 14.4.1 | M1 2020 | Mixbus 10 | Resolve 18.6.5
(05-28-2022, 08:07 PM)Brian Mills Wrote: Very annoying.  Not to mention that if the control surface is not powered on before MB is launched, it will not be discovered. Don't know if Harrison is working on the bug. 

Ideas anyone?

Got an app on Windows where that DOES work? 

That's not a "bug"...DAWs enumerate the MIDI IO on launch. It's not so much that the MCUs are powered on...it's that the MIDI IO is powered on, which in modern MCU units is one and the same. An MCU will show up as a 4x4 MIDI IO over it's USB. Apple's MIDI APIs, I believe are more forgiving of dynamic allocation--and so SOME devs will take advantage of that. That said, I guess I haven't tried it with modern Win10pro...I just--how hard is it to turn it on before you run the app? It's how I've functioned for 15 years.

The disconnection is a problem with Mixbus. I'm really chiming in to say let's not equate something normal that doesn't work the way you'd hope it to...with something broken.

I haven't had the issue with v7.2. I would occasionally have it with v4.x...but, never mid project while using it...it was always like something happened and I opened the project--with it having a broken connection. And generally, going in THEN to their dialogue and selecting another MIDI IO...then BACK to the MCU IO...would cause it to reconnect...and not be broken next time...I never really tracked down WHAT what causing projects to lose MCU connections. But, it's 100% Mixbus. It happened on the Macbook and the Win7 tower. MAYBE the Win10 tower since I was using 4.x for a good while on that...
Win10pro(2004) : i7 8700/RX570 8gb/16gb/970evo : RME PCIe Multiface : Mixbus 32c 4.3 & 7.2
Other DAWs: Logic 10.4 (MacBook) Cubase 10.5 (PC)
Music: https://jamielang.bandcamp.com