Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Dithering during export
When choosing "Format" in the export window, there are 4 different options for dithering:
Shaped noise, Triangular, Rectangular and None.

I don't really know which one to choose for best results, I don't really know the difference between them.
What I do know, is that dithering is an important part of Mixbus' characteristic sound (this is in fact the only result I get when searching for "dithering" in the manual).

Will "None" not add anything to the sound?
And which option is best for getting the sound you actually hear when editing?
when editing you will hear in full resolution, so no dither is used (to achive that deactivate dither at the export and stay in the same resolution as your project, thats option: none).

But you will need a dither when you go down from a e.g. 24Bit project to a 16bit final file. So then you have to chose any of the other options.
The words tell you how the dither (which is a kind of noise) is shaped in spectrum. Rectangulas is the white noise and triangular should be pink noise I guess. Shaped noise is the less audible shape for standard human ears, so the way to go, when you normally want to export to a lower bit depth.

Hope that helps.
2023 Mac mini m2pro with 32GB RAM with audient id44mk2
(05-10-2022, 03:07 AM)arthie Wrote: when editing you will hear in full resolution, so no dither is used (to achive that deactivate dither at the export and stay in the same resolution as your project, thats option: none).

But you will need a dither when you go down from a e.g. 24Bit project to a 16bit final file. So then you have to chose any of the other options.
The words tell you how the dither (which is a kind of noise) is shaped in spectrum. Rectangulas is the white noise and triangular should be pink noise I guess. Shaped noise is the less audible shape for standard human ears, so the way to go, when you normally want to export to a lower bit depth.

Hope that helps.

It sure helps!
Thank you so much.

My standard export format (that I've used for years now without ever thinking about this) has "None". So it seems I've been doing it right.
From here I'll be more aware when it comes to this, especially since I've probably exported quite a few files to lower resolution without any dithering involved.
I use shaped noise
Win7/64, Mixbus32C, Mixbus2.5 the QueenSmile UR22, Dynaudio BM5A MKII, Pc all SSD,
(05-10-2022, 11:58 AM)Tassy Wrote: I use shaped noise

Good tip!
Me too.
Since yesterday.  Shy