Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
"Do you own your computer?"
Seems a little worrying

https://youtu.be/Lv5xHfZnk4s
Small recordingstudio in Finland countryside. Mixbus 10 Pro, AvLinux AVL-MXe 23.2, Rme UFX+, Rme 802, Adam A77X, Genelec 8020c, Genelec 7050b, Yamaha HS7

Many years ago I gave up using Symantec software for pretty much the same reason. It was all pretty good software but somewhere along the way, Symantec seemed to forget that it was YOUR computer - not theirs!! Their products were forever trying to prevent you from using your PC in ways that Symantec didn't like (or understand...)

I wonder if the Symantec man has moved over to Microsoft now?!?
Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit...
Wisdom is knowing you don't put tomatoes in a fruit salad !!
Yes I own my computer. Not Microsoft, not Apple. I do this with a trick:  I don't use their crap.
MMM
Linux throughout!
Main PC: XEON, 64GB DDR4, 1x SATA SSD, 1x NVME, MOTU UltraLite AVB

Mixbus 32C, Hydrogen, Jack... and Behringer synths
This is all to bring about Microsoft's strategy of "Computing as a Service (CaaS)".
Starting back with the revamping of Windows 10, where most of the OS was broken down into rights and privileges,
MS has positioned its OS to be totally under its control, via its periodic downloaded updates or real-time broadcasts.
With Windows 11 we now have more hooks in place so that many, and in the future - all, of their OS and App functionality
can be provided as a SERVICE, in accordance to the user's subscription profile in their Microsoft Online Account.

The other part of the video presentation talks about "TPM 2.0" and "Secure Boot". As far as businesses are concerned,
this is a good thing as, in theory, implementing both of these features (as well as system drive encryption, multi-type authentication, etc.),
business data is better protected. However, as anybody who has had to support this environment knows, a corruption in any of these
processes generally means that the hard disk (including SSDs), or OS might turn out to be totally unrecoverable - requiring a re-load.
Further, if the area or corruption is in the actual BIOS of the computer, the fix is to replace the actual Mother Board!!!

My recommendation to more "Personal Use" and, in our case, Studio owners/users, is to disable TPM, Secure Boot, Hardware Admin Passwords,
multi-type authentication and HDD encryption in your computer's BIOS. There is plenty of "protection" by running periodic virus scanning
of our computers - when WE want to do it. If our level of mistrust is high, scan all client-provided data files (tracks to import, charts, etc.)
prior to actually importing them into our session computers.

In general, our session computers should run in off-line mode for most of their duties. I can understand the need for network connections for
the typical bedroom studio operator. But, for real "business" studio endeavors, session computers should NOT be used for general Internet access;
buy a separate computer for that. Abiding to this philosophy, Windows might become unusable as it will want to reach out to Microsoft for some
aspect of its operation. At that point, DUMP WINDOWS.

Cheers!
Patrick
(05-08-2022, 10:08 AM)PBuryk Wrote: My recommendation to more "Personal Use" and, in our case, Studio owners/users, is to disable TPM, Secure Boot, Hardware Admin Passwords,
multi-type authentication and HDD encryption in your computer's BIOS. There is plenty of "protection" by running periodic virus scanning
of our computers - when WE want to do it. If our level of mistrust is high, scan all client-provided data files (tracks to import, charts, etc.)
prior to actually importing them into our session computers.

In general, our session computers should run in off-line mode for most of their duties. I can understand the need for network connections for
the typical bedroom studio operator. But, for real "business" studio endeavors, session computers should NOT be used for general Internet access;
buy a separate computer for that. Abiding to this philosophy, Windows might become unusable as it will want to reach out to Microsoft for some
aspect of its operation. At that point, DUMP WINDOWS.

Cheers!
Patrick

That's exactly the point: W11 coerces users to have a "Microsoft-Account" and also won't install without TPM 2.0 enabled. And it doesn't allow to stop updates nor telemetry, as W10 didn't do already.
Yes, there are ways to circumvent the installation hurdles and install W11 on virtually any x86-64 hardware and without "account" (I know I did out of professional interest, and it runs just fine) - but then any service request would be futile and you would be on your own for trouble shooting. Every vendor will point at your hardware and refuse to help because the system was tampered with.
Now, if you think about it, this is the situation with Linux, too, so you can as well run it and in return be the master of your system.
I helped a friend in the States last year to establish it, the man is over 70, and his only regret is not to have switched earlier.
Oh and don't get me started at Apple, who established their domination over their users with High Sierra(?).

MMM
Linux throughout!

So the question is why they want to do this to their customers. On the other hand, will they try to block Linux in the future with hardware locking, for example. And will you get the right components in a few years, like the motherboards on which Linux will be installed.

Someone is wondering if this is related to the Mixbus Forum in any way. I think it is related because such things restrict the freedom of creation. And finally freedom of choice. Who finally decides if the DAW you are using is on the blacklist? And what other things are on that list?
Small recordingstudio in Finland countryside. Mixbus 10 Pro, AvLinux AVL-MXe 23.2, Rme UFX+, Rme 802, Adam A77X, Genelec 8020c, Genelec 7050b, Yamaha HS7

When you buy a computer you own the hardware but not the software (including the operating system). Isn't this true for any platform: Mac, Windows, and Linux? You have a license to use the operating system but you don't actually "own" it.
(05-09-2022, 12:12 AM)Sojuzstudio Wrote: So the question is why they want to do this to their customers. On the other hand, will they try to block Linux in the future with hardware locking, for example. And will you get the right components in a few years, like the motherboards on which Linux will be installed.

Someone is wondering if this is related to the Mixbus Forum in any way. I think it is related because such things restrict the freedom of creation. And finally freedom of choice. Who finally decides if the DAW you are using is on the blacklist? And what other things are on that list?

I can't really see Linux being blocked atm, UEFI had the capability for a long time and yet even UEFI-only boards will run Linux as several distros have keys. That's because the most part of the Internet is running on Linux, virtually any router and server and gateway. Even your little router at home, with a high possibility.

The relation to Mixbus/any software I see exactly like you:
When Apple assimilated Emagic back then (resistance was futile) - their first move was to make Logic Mac-exclusive and ditch the Windows codebase.
When Microsoft made customers love the Outlook/Exchange server they later let Exchange only run with Active Directory (which is actually an embraced LDAP, but incompatible), thus forcing their way into the server rooms - nobody with half a brain would have set up a Windows file- (anything-) server before that...

(05-09-2022, 04:20 AM)bjohnh Wrote: When you buy a computer you own the hardware but not the software (including the operating system). Isn't this true for any platform: Mac, Windows, and Linux? You have a license to use the operating system but you don't actually "own" it.

Yes, you license the software, but the conditions are different. Two of them will restrict you, one will not, but rather encourage you to extend it and share with your fellow-computerers.

MMM
Linux throughout!

I'm going to once again point out how I A)am completely on board with the ideals of what OP is chapped about...but B)find his solution LAUGHABLE for a simple reason:

Historical observation: Never in the history of recorded music and the studios that produce it, has a first party solution EVER produced even the 20th best result. Meanign the tape decks...the mixer....all the outboard---curated from MANY manufacturers.

While Mixbus32c, Cubase, and LogicX are arguably the closest I've ever used in that respect...it's not there. If you told me I couldn't use third party plug ins, as much as I love Mixbus32c as a multitrack recorder/mixer. Without better reverbs? With no access to "technical problem solvers" would mean no mixing OTHER people's work...and I mean I've tried HARD--and had MORE success than I've ever had with any other app--to use only Harrison DSP. Actually partially BECAUSE of my understanding and fear of "a" above. 

Right now, I jsut looked at my Cubase session...there's a bank of instruments: Superior Drummer 3, an Embertone Steinway (hosted in Kontakt), a Acoustic Samples B5 organ (hosted in UVI Workstation) for a placeholder track...can I get THOSE for Linux? #rhetorical  the Steinway is printed TRHOUGH a Airwindows Tape sim and Waves 1073...SD3 is printed through SPL transient designer, Waves LA3a&Kramer Tape, and various Slate console sims)...those are the audio processors being printed TO the audio--so that I can largely mix with mostly first party 32c channel stuffs.

My template in 32c has the last three busses set up with Abbey Road Plate reverb....Spaces 2 IR reverb...and a dual mono EchoBoy delay line. I could probably use the Harrison delay "fine"...but, not a CHANCE they compete on the reverbs. 

Before anyone gets tribal and jumps down my throat--that's not a ding on Harrison. On their reverb? Sure. I feel certain they spent a weekend on that. Wink  But, I DO get to say they make the best sounding digital mixer I've ever used...AND say I can't imagine using their reverb. That can't read as negging on Harrison. The Waves La3a still does "something" for a solo electric guitar that their channel leveler doesn't. There ARE things...missing. I just called up a project with a wonderful sounding mix...done with "as much Harrison first party as I could" (personal geek challenge)...and it still has an La3a on a solo...and a PHA79 (360 deg phase manipulator)...on top of the trio of time auxes. As proof of my first party commitment--all working projects had their API 2500 replaced with the new'ish Console Compressor in dual mono mode. In most cases, I like it as well...and sometimes better. It's now my "go to" for that. 

Until someone gets the big third party devs on board...."use Linux" just not going to be a functional reality. This is always the case in computer stuff--but, in this particular one...it has a history that predates computers at ALL...is my long winded point. Studios have always been a "try and buy" curation of tons of pieces of kit all wired up together. The idea that any first party does everything best is baselessly idealistic. 

...and as recording studios become more and more home/project/artist studios...there's even MORE market desire for personal curation. Where so much of your personal "sound" is result of that. So, while it's historical precedent...it's also bending more in that direction, rather than away.
Win10pro(2004) : i7 8700/RX570 8gb/16gb/970evo : RME PCIe Multiface : Mixbus 32c 4.3 & 7.2
Other DAWs: Logic 10.4 (MacBook) Cubase 10.5 (PC)
Music: https://jamielang.bandcamp.com