Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Can't "save as" while running Jack
Hello! I am in need of help. I have a lingering, creeping problem. Any new disk format then clean install works normally for a while. Then, some time later Mixbus 6 stops being able to "save as." I get this reconnection error: 

Session "R:\_MIXBUS_PROJECTS\try again 6 (snapshot try again 6)" did not load successfully:
Cannot initialize session/engine: Port registration failed.

---ERROR: unable to create port 'LTC in': failed constructor
ERROR: JACK: Cannot callback the server in notification thread!

I should mention these things: 

I use this version of Mixbus until I can afford to upgrade: Mixbus 6.2.407 (rev 6.2-407-g970ec2c)

Same problem either Windows 10 or 11, happened on both this and my previous build. I have an AMD 6 core Ryzen and 16GB ram.  I always use Jack, it mostly works well until it randomly doesn't & gets stuck that way. I'm confident a disk format and reinstall will get it working again, it repeatably does, yet, I backed up the whole C: drive when it was working. If I restore from that backup it still doesn't work!! How's that make any sense? Again a format brings it back every time. 

More info: I run 32 outputs from the MPC 2 Software with Jack and into Mixbus and it's glorious. It reminds me of recording the MPC into a console the old multitrack way. Also, it does this with any version of Jack. I generally let Mixbus control Jack but it's the same if I use QjackCtl. Mixbus actually has ridiculous routing options! I can't route audio to the MPC Sampler with Jack in either Reaper or Cakewalk. Works a treat in Mixbus with two clicks. Anyway sometimes, after the error, I can't start a new project, it'll throw the same error. After a reboot I can do new from template but the problem sucks bad for versioning. Also, the save files are corrupted and can't be opened. In the list, the sample rate on each try shows "??" Now, I have to reboot for each go at it. 

I'd bet money that if I upgrade now, it'd work for a while. After a reformat it certainly would. 
Sorry so long winded. I tried to think of everything. Any help would be appreciated. I feel really dumb right now. I always set my stuff up the same way and leave it so I'm confident it's not some setting I'm changing unless inadvertently. Thanks again.
Have a read of the manual... Mixbus works a bit differently compared to some DAWs such as Pro tools... https://rsrc.harrisonconsoles.com/mixbus...management.
Save as duplicates the entire folder and all media. Perhaps if you want to save ‘milestones’ in your project you should be using snapshots ?
https://rsrc.harrisonconsoles.com/mixbus...-snapshots
Macmini 8,1 | OS X 13.6.3 | 3 GHz i5 32G | Scarlett 18i20 | Mixbus 10 | PT_2024.3.1 .....  Macmini 9,1 | OS X 14.4.1 | M1 2020 | Mixbus 10 | Resolve 18.6.5
(04-11-2022, 09:39 PM)lowkeyoutlaw Wrote: Hello! I am in need of help. I have a lingering, creeping problem. Any new disk format then clean install works normally for a while. Then, some time later Mixbus 6 stops being able to "save as." I get this reconnection error: 

Session "R:\_MIXBUS_PROJECTS\try again 6 (snapshot try again 6)" did not load successfully:

Yeah looks like a massive spanner in the works... with the Jack errors you might get lucky in the Ardour forum.
Next time, when the error happens again, can you have a look in the Event Viewer and check what happened immediately before? Maybe there's a hint.

MMM
Linux throughout!
Main PC: XEON, 64GB DDR4, 1x SATA SSD, 1x NVME, MOTU UltraLite AVB

Mixbus 32C, Hydrogen, Jack... and Behringer synths
(04-11-2022, 09:39 PM)lowkeyoutlaw Wrote: Hello! I am in need of help. I have a lingering, creeping problem. Any new disk format then clean install works normally for a while. Then, some time later Mixbus 6 stops being able to "save as." I get this reconnection error: 

I should mention these things: 

I use this version of Mixbus until I can afford to upgrade: Mixbus 6.2.407 (rev 6.2-407-g970ec2c)

Maybe try demoing version 8. I tried reproducing it this morning (in V8) but I didn't see the problem. Or maybe just try updating Jack (I'm using v1.9.19 here)
Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit...
Wisdom is knowing you don't put tomatoes in a fruit salad !!
Thanks for the replies. Does Mixbus actually have a version 8? Or is that only for 32C? The Mixbus page on the website sends me version 7. Google can't find a version 8, only 32C.

I don't know what I'm doing with the Windows Event Viewer, and my learning disability is made worse when I'm infuriated. I can't find anything about Mixbus in there. Does Mixbus have any sort of internal logging? I had a search of the manual and I couldn't find anything.

I studied the hell out of the manual when I switched to Mixbus years ago. Again, I have a learning disability but I have a decent enough grip on it. I have about 35 published songs I recorded this way. I had a re-read of the pertinent parts. Snapshots won't help me. I need "save as" to work as intended. Again, it does work at first on clean installs of Windows, then it stops working some random time later. Reinstalling Mixbus after a deep clean uninstall doesn't fix it. I really need Mixbus to work as it's the only DAW I've found so far that facilitates my routing needs.

I'm using the latest version of Jack. The previous three do the same thing. I'm preparing to have a go with version 7. I'll report back with the results.

The crazy part is that after a fresh disk format after I get everything set up, as soon as everything is tight and it's working correctly I always do a full disk backup with AOMEI right then. Then once it starts malfunctioning, if I restore from that backup, it still doesn't work. That part is maddening & makes zero sense. That would of course suggest that I'm changing some setting somewhere, but I never, ever do. I have noticed that Mixbus changes its own settings occasionally. This morning when I loaded up my template the submixes were hidden, for example. That still doesn't explain why a restore doesn't fix it. I'm not using Windows system restore, I use AOMEI which overwrites the entire disk and puts back everything just as it was while it was working, but it still doesn't fix it.

Hopefully version 7 fixes it and I'll bite the bullet and pay the upgrade price. I seriously appreciate everyone's help. If I get this figured out I'll share the info for sure, in case someone else has this problem in the future. Thanks again! I'll try not to crack my head on my desk.
Tried version 7. Same error. Before I installed 7 I did a deep uninstall with Revo Uninstaller, and scrubbed the registry of all references to Mixbus. One interesting one was under the QjackCtl section of the registry, I thought that might do it.

Time to do fresh Windows format/install, which always temporarily fixes it. I almost suspect that it happens after too many Windows updates. I'll try to pause them and see if that helps. I'll hit up the Ardour forum as well. Every time I post in the Jack forum they bite my head off.
(04-12-2022, 11:48 AM)lowkeyoutlaw Wrote: Thanks for the replies. Does Mixbus actually have a version 8? Or is that only for 32C?

Sorry that's my mistake. Non-32C hasn't been released yet for ver 8  Sad

BTW - your initial post suggests that this only happens with one particular session ("try again 6"). Or is it a more general problem for you?

When I was testing this yesterday I discovered that Save As has some serious problems on Windows. They aren't connected with Jack but I guess they could later stop Jack from doing something. But all Save As does is to copy the whole session file by file. So maybe a workaround for you would be to simply drag the whole session folder to its new location and then open it from that location.

Or if you're just wanting to rename the session, try Session->Rename and see if that works.
Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit...
Wisdom is knowing you don't put tomatoes in a fruit salad !!
It was affecting any project, so yes a general problem, but, Breakthrough!
 After a fresh format/reinstall but using version 7 this time, I was able to recreate the problem, then fix it! I said I'd be back with the info so here I am.

Note the initial error mentioned the LTC port failing to register. I fiddled and fiddled with both the MIDI connections window, and the settings under Transport/Chase/Show Transport Masters.
Only the MIDI connections in use must be ticked (in my case MIDI Clock & MMC coming in from capture_3) on the MIDI connections window, and under Transport Masters, any connections not in use must be set to disabled. 

Turns out the culprit was my MIDI keyboard. I turn it on & off with a USB switch, and if that happens before I fire up Mixbus, it changes & moves around the MIDI ports, leading the wrong connections to be ticked, and LTC changed (for some weird reason) to some other input (when it should be disabled). Throws the error every time. If I only tick the correct connections, and have LTC and MTC set to disabled, viola! "Save as" works perfectly!

It should be noted that after I correct the connections, the next time I open Mixbus, sometimes the incorrect ticks come back, causing the error again. If I correct the above again, "save as" works perfectly again. Eventually the settings stick. If it happens again, I know what to do. Beautiful!

Thanks for the help everyone. You definitely contributed to the thought process that got it fixed. Cheers!
(04-13-2022, 04:24 PM)lowkeyoutlaw Wrote: It was affecting any project, so yes a general problem, but, Breakthrough!
 After a fresh format/reinstall but using version 7 this time, I was able to recreate the problem, then fix it! I said I'd be back with the info so here I am.

Note the initial error mentioned the LTC port failing to register. I fiddled and fiddled with both the MIDI connections window, and the settings under Transport/Chase/Show Transport Masters.
Only the MIDI connections in use must be ticked (in my case MIDI Clock & MMC coming in from capture_3) on the MIDI connections window, and under Transport Masters, any connections not in use must be set to disabled. 

Turns out the culprit was my MIDI keyboard. I turn it on & off with a USB switch, and if that happens before I fire up Mixbus, it changes & moves around the MIDI ports, leading the wrong connections to be ticked, and LTC changed (for some weird reason) to some other input (when it should be disabled). Throws the error every time. If I only tick the correct connections, and have LTC and MTC set to disabled, viola! "Save as" works perfectly!

It should be noted that after I correct the connections, the next time I open Mixbus, sometimes the incorrect ticks come back, causing the error again. If I correct the above again, "save as" works perfectly again. Eventually the settings stick. If it happens again, I know what to do. Beautiful!

Thanks for the help everyone. You definitely contributed to the thought process that got it fixed. Cheers!

Cool stuff, thanks for taking the time to find out and sharing!
MMM

I'm not having a save-as problem, let alone under Windows... but inadvertently you helped me with an issue I have syncing Mixbus to an external sequencer in a synth. So this post is a great example how putting in some effort and sharing helps people.
Linux throughout!
Main PC: XEON, 64GB DDR4, 1x SATA SSD, 1x NVME, MOTU UltraLite AVB

Mixbus 32C, Hydrogen, Jack... and Behringer synths
Glad to help! Thanks everyone for being my sounding board and getting my wheels turning. I love Mixbus and this forum. It's worth the quirks because I can dial my sound in almost effortlessly with it, which takes way more time and plugins elsewhere.