Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Upgrade strategies
Ok, so v8 is here.
I'm actually quite excited about that (dear Ben and Nathan and you others at Harrison: We are also here - the excited ones!) Heart 

But you other MB32 users, what have been/are your strategies for upgrading?

1/ I know v7 projects will open in v8, but will they also behave just the same?
I'm a bit nervous, as I've had experience with probably v5 projects coughing and stuttering in probably v6.
Of course I can keep v7 for v7 projects, but I do actually think it's a hassle dealing with different versions. I prefer not to.
So what are the experiences so far with continuing v7 projects in v8?

2/ From v6 to v7 I did a complete uninstall, didn't keep settings or anything, started off with a clean sheet.
I could be wrong, but I believe this was inspired by the very MMM.
But starting off fresh also requires quite a bit of work. Getting stuff back as I want it. Favourites, keyboard shortcuts (do templates also go away?). It's not too tempting.
Do you keep settings? And that works well in the transition?

I'd like to hear about the upgrade experience of others before taking the step myself.
The installer is ready, but I'm not quite sure I am. Shy
I always keep my previous versions of MB & MB32C installed and ready to use for the projects I created in them.
Having said that, I do try to migrate certain projects to the latest version of MB/MB32C just to verify that it can be done
and what all is required in order to do that. Or, if I need to revisit that project and would like to use an option or feature that is
better served in a more recent version.

Cheers!
Patrick
Maybe I'm an unusual case, but I've never had problems opening and working with projects created in earlier versions after I upgrade. I do keep the old version around for a year or so just in case.

I'm going to skip version 8 unless a later point update brings some new features I'm interested in (which is always possible), but I'm perfectly happy with version 7 and look forward to whatever new features and improvements come in later versions.
Thanks for your replies.
Do you keep settings, or start off with blank sheets?
Any reasons not to keep settings?
(03-24-2022, 04:57 AM)krans Wrote: Ok, so v8 is here.
I'm actually quite excited about that (dear Ben and Nathan and you others at Harrison: We are also here - the excited ones!) Heart 

But you other MB32 users, what have been/are your strategies for upgrading?

1/ I know v7 projects will open in v8, but will they also behave just the same?
I'm a bit nervous, as I've had experience with probably v5 projects coughing and stuttering in probably v6.
Of course I can keep v7 for v7 projects, but I do actually think it's a hassle dealing with different versions. I prefer not to.
So what are the experiences so far with continuing v7 projects in v8?

2/ From v6 to v7 I did a complete uninstall, didn't keep settings or anything, started off with a clean sheet.
I could be wrong, but I believe this was inspired by the very MMM.
But starting off fresh also requires quite a bit of work. Getting stuff back as I want it. Favourites, keyboard shortcuts (do templates also go away?). It's not too tempting.
Do you keep settings? And that works well in the transition?

I'd like to hear about the upgrade experience of others before taking the step myself.
It is suggested to finish a project in your current version and then start all new projects in V8.
The Doctor
Getting Surgical with Audio
(03-24-2022, 04:57 AM)krans Wrote: I'd like to hear about the upgrade experience of others before taking the step myself.

As already suggested, I finish the projects with the version I started the project with. Newer and older versions can live side by side, but I uninstall the old ones as soon as possible and use the new version on new projects as soon as I'm sure that it's no show-stoppers.
Mixbus/Mixbus32C on Linux (Kubuntu)/KXStudio repositories.
GUI: KDE and Fluxbox
The reason for me not taking over settings is that mechanisms like the plugin manager etc can change and I want to make sure that when there's a bug, it's a proper one and not a crook XML file Smile
It's also an opportunity to re-discover things which I have forgotten are available.

MMM
Linux throughout!
Main PC: XEON, 64GB DDR4, 1x SATA SSD, 1x NVME, MOTU UltraLite AVB

Mixbus 32C, Hydrogen, Jack... and Behringer synths
My plan is to hang with 7.2 until it starts to flake due to some future kernel or driver update.
Partly because I have the colors like I like them and every update whacks them back to default!
Ha, stupid reason I know.