Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Disabling plugins does not decrease latency
Is there any way to disable the plugins of a session and thereby reduce latency? In a scenario where we have an almost finished mix, mixed at 2048 samples with a lot of plugins, and we want to record some more instruments with minimal latency, is there any way that the disabled plugins are not consuming CPU/latency?
https://rsrc.harrisonconsoles.com/mixbus...-a-session

If you hold Ctrl ( Cmd on Mac ) when clicking “OK”, the session will be opened in “SAFE” mode. Mixbus will ignore the last-used playhead position and zoom; and no plugins will be loaded. The plugins will appear as placeholders which you can edit or remove, and then re-open the session.

This should allow you to suspend plugin DSP load, record your over dubs, save the session and then open normally to re-engage the plugins. Make sure you do a save before just in case ...

PS:Whilst testing this I found I had to relaunch MB then open the session for plugs to re-enable...

The other approach which is commonly used when getting overdubs down at other studios... is to export a guide mix to a time stamped format, import that to a new session (insert at timestamp), do your overdubs, then export as timestamped elements which you then reimport into your main session.
Sounds complex but its really easy to do.
Macmini 8,1 | OS X 13.6.3 | 3 GHz i5 32G | Scarlett 18i20 | Mixbus 10 | PT_2024.3.1 .....  Macmini 9,1 | OS X 14.4.1 | M1 2020 | Mixbus 10 | Resolve 18.6.5
Thank you Dingo! I got the idea. For some reason I'm not able to boot into "Safe" mode, but once I get it, I'll give it a try.
[I'm on version 7.2 on Windows 10]