Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Session did not appear on sesstion setup window
Dear all,

Hope someone can help me, I can't open the session I am working on, I try to manually open the session but mb7.2 suddenly closes. Because of the .ardour file is around 1.5GB I disabled the backups because it was impossible to work. After around three weeks working on this project, just almost finishing it, and I have this issue.

Kinds,

Omar.
Hi Omar a session file of 1.5GB is enormous are you sure its the session file or the session folder ?
I would suggest you contact support: mixbus@harrisonconsoles.com and give them details of your OS, system and details of the .ardour file and folder size.
Macmini 8,1 | OS X 13.6.3 | 3 GHz i5 32G | Scarlett 18i20 | Mixbus 10 | PT_2024.3.1 .....  Macmini 9,1 | OS X 14.4.1 | M1 2020 | Mixbus 10 | Resolve 18.6.5
(02-23-2022, 03:22 PM)ogomez Wrote: Dear all,

Hope someone can help me, I can't open the session I am working on, I try to manually open the session but mb7.2 suddenly closes. Because of the .ardour file is around 1.5GB I disabled the backups because it was impossible to work. After around three weeks working on this project, just almost finishing it, and I have this issue.

Kinds,

Omar.

Session file 1.5GB? No way!
MMM
Linux throughout!
Main PC: XEON, 64GB DDR4, 1x SATA SSD, 1x NVME, MOTU UltraLite AVB

Mixbus 32C, Hydrogen, Jack... and Behringer synths
Thanks for your replies, yes it is the session file with the .ardour file extension. I solved the issue, thinking of the big size you mentioned, I openned the file. It is a XML text file, I found some tags named 'chunk'. These tags contained most of the data space. I cleared these tags and I was able to reduce the session file to around 25MB.

It was possible to open the session, however I realized that these chunk information is mainly related with the surge-xt plugin I use for the leads. The presets for the leads were initialized so I loaded them again.

I would like to known what is the purpose of this chunk tag, I did not find information of it in the ardour's manual pages.

I attach to this post a couple of images of this issue,

P.D. In order to be able of editing the (large size) session file, after a while, I found this really nice text editor, 

BassEditor
(02-23-2022, 09:44 PM)ogomez Wrote: Thanks for your replies, yes it is the session file with the .ardour file extension. I solved the issue, thinking of the big size you mentioned, I openned the file. It is a XML text file, I found some tags named 'chunk'. These tags contained most of the data space. I cleared these tags and I was able to reduce the session file to around 25MB.

It was possible to open the session, however I realized that these chunk information is mainly related with the surge-xt plugin I use for the leads. The presets for the leads were initialized so I loaded them again.

I would like to known what is the purpose of this chunk tag, I did not find information of it in the ardour's manual pages.

P.D. In order to be able of editing the (large size) session file, after a while, I found this really nice text editor, 

BassEditor

What was in the <chunk> sections? Looking like garbage? Maybe containing the header "base64" or so? The way you describe it it could be that the plugin saves binary data there. Ask the plugin vendor. If so: Bad style, delete the plugin from your hard drive.

MMM
Linux throughout!

(02-24-2022, 05:29 AM)madmaxmiller Wrote:
(02-23-2022, 09:44 PM)ogomez Wrote: Thanks for your replies, yes it is the session file with the .ardour file extension. I solved the issue, thinking of the big size you mentioned, I openned the file. It is a XML text file, I found some tags named 'chunk'. These tags contained most of the data space. I cleared these tags and I was able to reduce the session file to around 25MB.

BassEditor

What was in the <chunk> sections? Looking like garbage? Maybe containing the header "base64" or so? The way you describe it it could be that the plugin saves binary data there. Ask the plugin vendor. If so: Bad style, delete the plugin from your hard drive.

MMM

Hello Mad, 

It seems binary data, not data encoded. Well, hope this be fixed in a future update,

Kinds,

Omar.
(02-24-2022, 11:15 PM)ogomez Wrote:
(02-24-2022, 05:29 AM)madmaxmiller Wrote:

BassEditor

MMM

Hello Mad, 

It seems binary data, not data encoded. Well, hope this be fixed in a future update,

Kinds,

Omar.

Custom wavetables in Surge?
MMM
Linux throughout!

Omar - you should take Dingo's advice and contact Harrison Support. For all we know, there might be a limit on the amount of plugin data that's allowed. But only Harrison would known that.

Either way... there's something wrong if other plugins only need to save a small amount of data but this one needs 1.5GB. To me, that sounds like it might be trying to save all its audio data instead of just the control settings.
Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit...
Wisdom is knowing you don't put tomatoes in a fruit salad !!
(02-25-2022, 03:59 AM)johne53 Wrote: Omar - you should take Dingo's advice and contact Harrison Support. For all we know, there might be a limit on the amount of plugin data that's allowed. But only Harrison would known that.

Either way... there's something wrong if other plugins only need to save a small amount of data but this one needs 1.5GB. To me, that sounds like it might be trying to save all its audio data instead of just the control settings.

Yeah, hence my guess: custom wavetables/samples.
MMM
Linux throughout!

(02-25-2022, 07:40 PM)madmaxmiller Wrote:
(02-25-2022, 03:59 AM)johne53 Wrote: Omar - you should take Dingo's advice and contact Harrison Support. For all we know, there might be a limit on the amount of plugin data that's allowed. But only Harrison would known that.

Yeah, hence my guess: custom wavetables/samples.
MMM

Thanks Mad and John, perhaps it is related with the wavetables.

Kinds,

Omar.