Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sudden Strange behavior in Mixbus
That's right.
Now I remember.
Lua it is.

So that means the strange mixbus issue is maybe not a Python issue, unless Lua is dependent on Python as lua has two more dependencies that have their own dependencies. I will go down that dependency rathole to figure it out for my own interest, but it is weird that Mixbus developed this problem as soon as other aps developed issues due to the python install.

Anyway. The post is of some use if someone ends up with the same obstruction between channels and busses, but in no way do I point fingers at Mixbus in this case. I generally know where the fish rots.
It is an interesting problem never the less

Thanks all for the replies/questions.
This has turned into a VERY interesting discussion!
I would not be surprised if Harrison & Ardour developers (including their sub-contractors) have used, and will continue to use, Python.
As you are most likely aware, Python has been touted as one of the most desirable languages to use for just about any app for the past, what, 5-7 years now?
And, "everybody" (or, at least, all new programmers) has been pointed to Python as their primary language to master.
So, unless there is a significant discovery in this sector of the industry, that programming in Python causes reliability issues, it is here to stay.
In the meantime, I guess the question to be asked is: "What other language(s) might be used to guarantee better DAW/plugin interaction?"

Cheers!
Patrick
Patrick,
True. Python is here to stay for the near future.
Python would have been great if they just sort out their surjectivity.
It is inexcusable.
Modern software should at least
1) Be able to uninstall cleanly to a lower version.
2) Warn you if it is going to break things.

It sometimes does 1 & 2 and most of the time you must use the silly PIP and what not. Convoluted installers and updaters.
It is the PIP nonsense that started to create a custom python config environment where bad code and questionable implementations can survive without much scrutiny. Apt based Python is working so-so.
Many times a python uninstall or upgrade blatantly broke applications silently. this is not acceptable.
So many times I had to do a e.g. system wide search for shebangs of broken applications as a last resort due to a python upgrade that removed a crucial version I had no control of. I had to go alter the shebangs to a version that has the python functionality needed and mostly had to either edit the shebangs to the newer python version or uninstall the newer version if it lacked features (e.g. gi )and then try to install the previous version. Things are always broken. This happens across different flavors of distros. the PIP conundrum has never been a solution for any user. Go figure, a custom installer PIP for python. If Python was truly for users, then there would be no pip and they would be sorting out their surjectivity and not hide behind a custom package manager. It is great for developers but it is NOT for users. Unfortunately every problem you get must be divined out of PIP, which almost never happens.
The surjectivity creates unbearable mess for the user.
That is the downfall of scripting languages. Very sloppy housekeeping which draws very sloppy housekeepers. Most scripting languages eventually drown in their own slop.
Bash e.g. survives so well because it actually stays sysadmin CLI oriented and do not try to become C++ ... which it can never be.
All this said, I am impressed with Harrison using Lua rather than Python.

Not everyone has the mindset to work with Lua when Python is available. Pytho is the quick and easy way.
Lua is a strange language, attracting strange people with strange ideas and that is just ok with me.
Strange is much better than slop.
Back to Mixbus.

I installed a fresh new version of MX21

Did all the jack stuff and freshly installed newest Mixbus 32C-7, Mixbus 5.34, 5.10 all licensed versions.

What I found on the totally new system with clean Mixbus installations is the following

1) Mixbus 5.34, 5.10 still has the same problem with my existing projects i copied over. And that is it has a problem with every project not just one. Really strange. It is as if Mixbus 5.x was killswitched somehow.
2) Mixbus 32C works perfectly.

I will contact Harrison next week to see what the reason could be, but at least I can work with 32C, but older projects went numb.