Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Stereo interleaved recording?
Hi , whenever i record a stereo instrument it saves the wave file as a mono left and right instead of a single stereo file.l've tried various recording and preferences settings and EVEN read (most of) the manual with no joy. A full wasted day later and I'm reduced to begging for help on a forum.

I would really like to save my recordings as a stereo interleaved file.

Kind regards
I must admit, that's always puzzled me too but AFAIK Mixbus can't generate for interleaved source files  Sad

But I've a feeling it'll use them correctly if you've recorded them in some other package.
Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit...
Wisdom is knowing you don't put tomatoes in a fruit salad !!
(01-13-2022, 12:13 PM)johne53 Wrote: I must admit, that's always puzzled me too but AFAIK Mixbus can't generate for interleaved source files  Sad

But I've a feeling it'll use them correctly if you've recorded them in some other package.

Thank you for the quick reply.

So as far as you know there is no setting that will allow me to record a stereo instrument in mixbus as a stereo file that appears in users/interchange/audio as a stereo file instead of a pair of left and right mono files.

Just for clarity.

Best Regards
Sorry, no (at least if there is a setting, I'm not aware of it...)
Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit...
Wisdom is knowing you don't put tomatoes in a fruit salad !!
(01-13-2022, 01:02 PM)johne53 Wrote: Sorry, no (at least if there is a setting, I'm not aware of it...)

Thanks , though not the answer I wanted I appreciate your response.

Regards
(01-13-2022, 12:01 PM)uaaudio2 Wrote: Hi , whenever i record a stereo instrument it saves the wave file as a mono left and right instead of a single stereo file.l've tried various recording and preferences settings and EVEN read (most of) the manual with no joy. A full wasted day later and I'm reduced to begging for help on a forum.

I would really like to save my recordings as a stereo interleaved file.

Kind regards

Source files are not meant to be used raw.
Stereo is at the end of the day nothing but any other two mono channels, recorded with separate microphones, therefore separate physical entities. Just like in any analogue console/tape.
Stereo is what you make of it. You could for example also decide to process them separately.
The track you see in the DAW after recording is already interpreted as stereo, if you have chosen so. If you want a single stereo file, just export the track and there you have plenty options of file format. If you have multiple "stereo" tracks which you want to use raw, you can export them all at once but separate from each other unprocessed.
If you really want to just record a stereo file one-off you don't need a DAW, any sound recorder, which is most likely an accessory in your OS, will do.
MMM
Linux throughout!
Main PC: XEON, 64GB DDR4, 1x SATA SSD, 1x NVME, MOTU UltraLite AVB

Mixbus 32C, Hydrogen, Jack... and Behringer synths
The arguments over multi mono / interleaved have been raging for some time.
I agree Max that everything is really just a mono file... but the world is becoming a stream and having a container for multi channel (2 and up) audio can be very handy.
At some stage I would like to see the option to record as an interleaved file.
You can create interleaved files in export ... Export / Channels do not check the split into mono option.
There is some voodoo talk about interleaved sounding better... but interleaving is just a container.
Macmini 8,1 | OS X 13.6.3 | 3 GHz i5 32G | Scarlett 18i20 | Mixbus 10 | PT_2024.3.1 .....  Macmini 9,1 | OS X 14.4.1 | M1 2020 | Mixbus 10 | Resolve 18.6.5
nowadays the world seems to become immersive and therefore mono with information about placement again Big Grin Wondering if in any future Mixbus will do immersive, too. We'll see...
2023 Mac mini m2pro with 32GB RAM with audient id44mk2
(01-14-2022, 04:17 AM)arthie Wrote: nowadays the world seems to become immersive and therefore mono with information about placement again Big Grin Wondering if in any future Mixbus will do immersive, too. We'll see...
(01-14-2022, 07:38 AM)uaaudio2 Wrote:
(01-14-2022, 04:17 AM)arthie Wrote: nowadays the world seems to become immersive and therefore mono with information about placement again Big Grin Wondering if in any future Mixbus will do immersive, too. We'll see...

Thanks to everyone who took part in this thread.

Regards , Uaaudio