Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Using with Jack on Windows?
Is there any advantage to using JACK on Windows? JACK is available for Windows, and Mixbus supports it. Should I be using Mixbus with JACK on Windows?
(01-12-2022, 09:38 AM)aloomens Wrote: Is there any advantage to using JACK on Windows? JACK is available for Windows, and Mixbus supports it. Should I be using Mixbus with JACK on Windows?

If you want to route audio to/from other Jack-aware applications it makes sense. Also if you (like me) route audio over ethernet to/from other machines. Like having some synths on a screaming loud, but fast machine somewhere in a rack outside.
If you use just Mixbus, there's probably not much benefit.

MMM
Linux throughout!
Main PC: XEON, 64GB DDR4, 1x SATA SSD, 1x NVME, MOTU UltraLite AVB

Mixbus 32C, Hydrogen, Jack... and Behringer synths
(01-12-2022, 09:38 AM)aloomens Wrote: Is there any advantage to using JACK on Windows? JACK is available for Windows, and Mixbus supports it. Should I be using Mixbus with JACK on Windows?

Hi aloomens welcome to the Mixbus forum...
madmaxmiller’s reply is correct.
In the early days of Mixbus development Jack was used as the bridge that allowed all operating systems to talk to the application.
As the development has progressed the need for Jack has declined.

https://rsrc.harrisonconsoles.com/mixbus...k-optional

So if you are looking at some of the very old Mixbus videos you may see reference to Jack.
Macmini 8,1 | OS X 13.6.3 | 3 GHz i5 32G | Scarlett 18i20 | Mixbus 10 | PT_2024.3.1 .....  Macmini 9,1 | OS X 14.4.1 | M1 2020 | Mixbus 10 | Resolve 18.6.5
Hi aloomens - for the past few years Mixbus has been tending to avoid Jack but I must admit, I find Jack quite useful. Having said that, I only have onboard sound here (no 3rd party audio or midi hardware) so I tend to just use the ASIO4ALL driver which works extremely well with Jack. But if you're running a 3rd party audio device (e.g. Focusrite) there's a good chance that some hardware will work fine with Jack and others won't

There's a Jack forum here where you could ask if Jack is likely to work okay with your hardware (or maybe state your hardware here - in case someone else has already tried it with Jack...)

I'm now using quite a powerful computer and there isn't much difference here between Jack and the regular PortAudio driver. But with less capable hardware I always found Jack to be the better choice. Very much better in terms of glitches and xruns etc.
Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit...
Wisdom is knowing you don't put tomatoes in a fruit salad !!
I am using a Presonus Audiobox USB96. It seems to work well with or without Jack. I have used Jack on Linux, but just saw it was available for Windows. So, I guess the main advantage is routing capability with Jack? I do get the feeling it is more stable when using Jack, but really haven't had any issues either way. Thanks.
https://www.bluecataudio.com/Products/Pr...Connector/. Here is the new jack for you.
(01-22-2022, 08:23 AM)Studio Saturn Wrote: https://www.bluecataudio.com/Products/Pr...Connector/.  Here is the new jack for you.

NOPE

Not even close.
MMM
Linux throughout!
Main PC: XEON, 64GB DDR4, 1x SATA SSD, 1x NVME, MOTU UltraLite AVB

Mixbus 32C, Hydrogen, Jack... and Behringer synths