Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
freeze when exporting more than one region
Hello, 

when I export more than one region at once Mixbus7 exports the first region without a hitch and then freezes completely. I click on STOP EXPORT and still there is no reaction. Even if I wait very long it is the same. I have to kill the process in Taskmanager.
I have just updated to MB 7.2.0 but it is the same problem. It is a quite new computer, half a year old. 
I have no idea how I could get rid of this of how I could possibly look for a solution. Maybe someone here can help me?

best regards
Olaf
(01-10-2022, 09:30 AM)Olaf Wrote: I have removed all the plugins from the session but it still freezes on export of region 2. Strangely the frozen text says "exporting region 3 of 8. Although it only had exported region 1 completley and region 2 as a 0 Kilobite file. 

Then I have just now opened the same session in MB6 (which I still have installed) and there all ranges are exported as expected. Which is a great relief because now I can continue my work just using MB6 until the problem is solved. 
(01-10-2022, 10:19 AM)Olaf Wrote:
(01-10-2022, 09:30 AM)Olaf Wrote: I have removed all the plugins from the session but it still freezes on export of region 2. Strangely the frozen text says "exporting region 3 of 8. Although it only had exported region 1 completley and region 2 as a 0 Kilobite file. 

Then I have just now opened the same session in MB6 (which I still have installed) and there all ranges are exported as expected. Which is a great relief because now I can continue my work just using MB6 until the problem is solved. 

Was that session created in v6?
Maybe, with a copy of the session folder, try to open the v6 session file again with v7 - the conversion might have gone wrong the first time... Other than that - yes it pays to have the respective versions handy.

MMM
Linux throughout!
Main PC: XEON, 64GB DDR4, 1x SATA SSD, 1x NVME, MOTU UltraLite AVB

Mixbus 32C, Hydrogen, Jack... and Behringer synths
(01-10-2022, 06:50 PM)madmaxmiller Wrote: Was that session created in v6?
Maybe, with a copy of the session folder, try to open the v6 session file again with v7 - the conversion might have gone wrong the first time... Other than that - yes it pays to have the respective versions handy.

MMM

Thanks madmaxmiller. No, it was created in V7. And I have done a lot of exports in V7 before the problem came up. 
Now I checked the samplerates. But no luck. Earlier mixes had been in 44k now recently it was more 48k. And I always exported to 44k. But when I export to 48k it is still the same problem. Freeeezzzzeee.  Huh  

Could it be a problem with the buffer cache? Does anybody know how I can access the dialog about the bufer size in an existing session? It comes up only when you create a new session. 
(01-11-2022, 02:45 AM)Olaf Wrote:
(01-10-2022, 06:50 PM)madmaxmiller Wrote: Was that session created in v6?

MMM

Thanks madmaxmiller. No, it was created in V7. And I have done a lot of exports in V7 before the problem came up. 
Now I checked the samplerates. But no luck. Earlier mixes had been in 44k now recently it was more 48k. And I always exported to 44k. But when I export to 48k it is still the same problem. Freeeezzzzeee.  Huh  

Could it be a problem with the buffer cache? Does anybody know how I can access the dialog about the bufer size in an existing session? It comes up only when you create a new session. 

Buffer shouldn't be a problem at file export - if you don't get crackle at normal playback it's fine.
Wondering how you were able to open the session in an older version though - did it at least complain? Smile
Have you tried to export just two regions? And maybe not "region2" included? Like, "region 3 and region 4"?
Do you by chance have any overlaps?
Have you saved the session in a new snapshot, with minor changes so that a new file is written and tried to export from there?

Yeah all wild guesses, sounds like one of these phenomenons which need Harrison's support. Flick them an email.

MMM
Linux throughout!

Hi madmaxmiller,

I am thankful for every hint and will try your suggestions. I have already tried to select different regions. And I even deleted the original (Fr1, Fr2 ... Sa1, Sa2...) in case MB doesn't like my namings. There are no overlaps. V6 did not complain at all opening the V7 session. What I have done in the meantime is:

1) I could open sessions from December (created in 7.1.0) and they export fine.
2) I created a new session with the 48khz recordings and this ALSO EXPORTS FINE!!! Now I am repeating all the work on this new session and check after each step if it freezes. Like walking on thin ice...

And yes, I have sent a support request email.
Now it works on all files again!!!

I changed the target format. Before I had "CD (red book) normalize peak, WAV, 16-bit, 44,1 kHz" which was a default setting fro Mixbus. Now I chose "CD (red book) NoNorm, WAV, 16-bit, 44,1 kHz" which I created by modifying the one before with just leaving out the normalisation. 

So Normalizing is the problem. 
Well — I can do without that. 
Big sigh of relief.  
Rolleyes
(01-11-2022, 05:00 AM)Olaf Wrote: Now it works on all files again!!!

I changed the target format. Before I had "CD (red book) normalize peak, WAV, 16-bit, 44,1 kHz" which was a default setting fro Mixbus. Now I chose "CD (red book) NoNorm, WAV, 16-bit, 44,1 kHz" which I created by modifying the one before with just leaving out the normalisation. 

Big sigh of relief.  
Rolleyes

Still strange - I recently exported a CD with normalising (I always set it to -0.5dB) - but that was the whole session with CUE file.
Maybe changing the export format and saving the change did the trick. When you have time, switch normalising back on and save that format and see...

Happy for you it works for you now.

MMM
Linux throughout!

(01-11-2022, 08:30 AM)madmaxmiller Wrote:
(01-11-2022, 05:00 AM)Olaf Wrote: Now it works on all files again!!!

Big sigh of relief.  
Rolleyes

Still strange - I recently exported a CD with normalising (I always set it to -0.5dB) - but that was the whole session with CUE file.
Maybe changing the export format and saving the change did the trick. When you have time, switch normalising back on and save that format and see...

Happy for you it works for you now.

MMM
Can you export several regions in one process with that preset?

I created several very short regions to test it without waiting too long.