Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New Set Up with MIXBUS
Hello everyone,

I am new to Mixbus and very excited to start using it. I do Recording/Mixing as a hobby and got myself a nice little room and installed some acoustic panels.
Now, I am waiting on my RME Fireface UCX II and my SSL SIX. and that's my final setup. I only need 4 preamps and the SSL will also be my monitor controller.

I do mainly acoustic recordings with guitar, keyboard, voices. My question is: Can I do recording/editing/mixing in Mixbus alone?
Or do other DAW's like CUBASE have advantages in terms of recording/editing in regards to my setup?

Or in other words: Does my recording sound “better” when I record in MIXBUS vs an ordinary DAW?

I am really looking forward to work with MIXBUS, as I have always dreamt of working on a big console ;-), but of course, that's a dream...
I hope to get some kind of analog flavor into my tracks and I will work mainly ITB (I will try summing of course with the SIX and also with the MIXBUS).

Maybe I try to get a controller for MIXBUS in addition, like the Behringer X Touch.

Thanks in advance!
Greetings,
Gisbert
I have been using MB since the version 2.1 was relaeased I do not need any other DAW.
For MIDI, if wanted to edit in MIDI, I used to use Cubase SX 10 years ago and editing in it was joy.
In MB the midi instruments can be fanned out into audio tracks recordined and I use all audio tracks for editing
I am not a guy to complicate my workflow with unnecessary "tricks" with other DAWs.
best
Tassy
Win7/64, Mixbus32C, Mixbus2.5 the QueenSmile UR22, Dynaudio BM5A MKII, Pc all SSD,
(12-17-2021, 01:12 AM)ocean_ways_2021 Wrote: I do mainly acoustic recordings with guitar, keyboard, voices. My question is: Can I do recording/editing/mixing in Mixbus alone?
Or do other DAW's like CUBASE have advantages in terms of recording/editing in regards to my setup?

Or in other words: Does my recording sound “better” when I record in MIXBUS vs an ordinary DAW

Mixbus really shines when it comes to mixing, but is also excellent for recording and editing. The workflow is very good and effective IMO. Depending on how you work with MIDI, it might not work the way you want, so you might want to use another program for initial MIDI work, the MIDI editing when everything is in one layer is good IMO.
Mixbus/Mixbus32C on Linux (Kubuntu)/KXStudio repositories.
GUI: KDE and Fluxbox
(12-17-2021, 01:12 AM)ocean_ways_2021 Wrote: I do mainly acoustic recordings with guitar, keyboard, voices. My question is: Can I do recording/editing/mixing in Mixbus alone?
Or in other words: Does my recording sound “better” when I record in MIXBUS vs an ordinary DAW?

I am really looking forward to work with MIXBUS, as I have always dreamt of working on a big console ;-), but of course, that's a dream...

Gisbert

Hi ocean_ways_2021 welcome to the Mixbus Forum.
You will find Mixbus excellent for acoustic recording editing and mixing.
Harrison has distilled the big console into a DAW... so welcome to the dream Smile
Yes recording and mixing does 'sound better' than other DAW's but that's just my POV.
Macmini 8,1 | OS X 13.6.3 | 3 GHz i5 32G | Scarlett 18i20 | Mixbus 10 | PT_2024.3.1 .....  Macmini 9,1 | OS X 14.4.1 | M1 2020 | Mixbus 10 | Resolve 18.6.5
(12-17-2021, 03:16 AM)Tassy Wrote: I have been using MB since the version 2.1 was relaeased I do not need any other DAW.
For MIDI, if wanted to edit in MIDI, I used to use Cubase SX 10 years ago and editing in it was joy.
In MB the midi instruments can be fanned out into audio tracks recordined and I use all audio tracks for editing
I am not a guy to complicate my workflow with unnecessary "tricks" with other DAWs.
best
Tassy

Thanks Tassy! 
Sounds good, I will not do some crazy editing, though I have an older project that I would like to finish and I have some timing issues as it was recorded live without metronome.

Maybe I can do this in Cubase and the rest in MIXBUS.
(12-17-2021, 04:07 AM)Dingo Wrote:

Gisbert

Hi ocean_ways_2021 welcome to the Mixbus Forum.
You will find Mixbus excellent for acoustic recording editing and mixing.
Harrison has distilled the big console into a DAW... so welcome to the dream Smile
Yes recording and mixing does 'sound better' than other DAW's but that's just my POV.

Hi Dingo, thank you! I am really excited about my MIXBUS experience! I was thinking about getting it along time and finally made it :-)!

Now, they have some plugins on sale. The “Vocal Flow” seems to be very promising, also the mastering eq and multiband compressor seems to be a good fit!
(12-17-2021, 04:02 AM)Jostein Wrote:

Or in other words: Does my recording sound “better” when I record in MIXBUS vs an ordinary DAW

Mixbus really shines when it comes to mixing, but is also excellent for recording and editing. The workflow is very good and effective IMO. Depending on how you work with MIDI, it might not work the way you want, so you might want to use another program for initial MIDI work, the MIDI editing when everything is in one layer is good IMO.
Thanks for sharing your experience. For some advanced MIDI stuff I will probably use another DAW, but it seems, I will start working with MIXBUS as often as possible.