Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Loading old projects
Hi folks!
I've been a Mixbus user since version 4 and in those years I have learned so much over the years. I have helped many users and learned from other users. It's always a work in progress!
Today I'd like to pose a question concerning older projects and templates.
So, if you have an older project, even if it's on the same version, does the project load using the original template when saved or can you change the template on a project? What happens if you do? I have never tried but it looks like you can change the template even after it loads a project.
Also, what are the guidelines on re-loading an older project from an older version? I tried a few times using a newer MB version and it was pretty ugly! This is the reason when I archive my projects I always note the versions in the folder/archive name. Anyhow, I'm sure I touched on a fairy sensitive subject and look forward to the responses !
Thanks in advance! Big Grin

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Mini Mac i7, 3 GHz, 16GB RAM, OSX Monterey v12.6.5, 4 SSD drives, dual 27" displays. Mixbus 32C Latest, SSL 2+ interface, Mackie VLZ 1402 mixer and Mackie Mk3 8" monitors. Owner of LOGIC AUDIO PRODUCTIONS, Lake Havasu City, Arizona USA Cool
My understanding is that the template is used to create the session but is not referenced back, so changing or deleting the template after creating and saving the project will have no impact.
As to opening older versions, I have maintained a version of every release of Mixbus and open old sessions in the version they where created in.
There are no issues having multiple versions of Mixbus on a system. I currently have v 3 up to v 7 on my studio system.
There have been some major restructures of the audio engine over the various versions.
Macmini 8,1 | OS X 13.6.3 | 3 GHz i5 32G | Scarlett 18i20 | Mixbus 10 | PT_2024.3.1 .....  Macmini 9,1 | OS X 14.4.1 | M1 2020 | Mixbus 10 | Resolve 18.6.5
^^^ what Dingo said.
You already keep good practice in your project naming, so that will be easy.
My session names look so:

yyyymmtt_artist_song__MB32Cvx.x.xxx_44100 (for a 44.1k sample rate session)

Older versions of Mixbus can be downloaded here:
https://mixbus.helpscoutdocs.com/article...-downloads

MMM

P.S.: not a tacky question at all, just the strive for best practice
Linux throughout!
Main PC: XEON, 64GB DDR4, 1x SATA SSD, 1x NVME, MOTU UltraLite AVB

Mixbus 32C, Hydrogen, Jack... and Behringer synths
Yes - what Dingo and Max said ^ ^ ^

Think of a template as being like a knitting pattern for a pullover. Once it's knitted you can wear it from then on without needing the original pattern any more. But if you keep hold of the pattern you can easily knit another one later in a different colour.
Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit...
Wisdom is knowing you don't put tomatoes in a fruit salad !!
How can one tell wat version the project was created on if no version number was saved?
Session files are the ones ending in '.ardour' and they're usually viewable in a text editor. The version number is generally the first entry on line 2.
Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit...
Wisdom is knowing you don't put tomatoes in a fruit salad !!
(12-15-2021, 03:50 AM)johne53 Wrote: Yes - what Dingo and Max said ^ ^ ^

Think of a template as being like a knitting pattern for a pullover. Once it's knitted you can wear it from then on without needing the original pattern any more. But if you keep hold of the pattern you can easily knit another one later in a different colour.
Thanks. Good comparison. However why is it I think you know how to knit a sweater? JK thanks for the input! Big Grin
Mini Mac i7, 3 GHz, 16GB RAM, OSX Monterey v12.6.5, 4 SSD drives, dual 27" displays. Mixbus 32C Latest, SSL 2+ interface, Mackie VLZ 1402 mixer and Mackie Mk3 8" monitors. Owner of LOGIC AUDIO PRODUCTIONS, Lake Havasu City, Arizona USA Cool
(12-15-2021, 10:40 AM)Milt Wrote: How can one tell wat version the project was created on if no version number was saved?

GREAT QUESTION! I think adding the version number in a parent folder under the year folder may solve this going forward.
When you launch Mixbus, the Session Setup window will tell you what version last saved the project... note this only works if your older sessions are in the same master folder when you launch Mixbus.
Or as John said earlier, use text editor to open the .ardour session and line 2 will display the create and modify version...
<ProgramVersion created-with="Mixbus32C 5.3-4-g2abd19f" modified-with="Mixbus32C 5.3-4-g2abd19f"/>
Macmini 8,1 | OS X 13.6.3 | 3 GHz i5 32G | Scarlett 18i20 | Mixbus 10 | PT_2024.3.1 .....  Macmini 9,1 | OS X 14.4.1 | M1 2020 | Mixbus 10 | Resolve 18.6.5
(12-15-2021, 03:37 AM)madmaxmiller Wrote: ^^^ what Dingo said.
You already keep good practice in your project naming, so that will be easy.
My session names look so:

yyyymmtt_artist_song__MB32Cvx.x.xxx_44100 (for a 44.1k sample rate session)

Older versions of Mixbus can be downloaded here:
https://mixbus.helpscoutdocs.com/article...-downloads

MMM

P.S.: not a tacky question at all, just the strive for best practice
MM Your an awesome guy! You got a Fakebook account? I'd like to follow you and stay in touch chief...