Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Controllers with Mixbus 32
has anyone had any experience in using a controller with the mixbus 32?

Im interested - whilst thinking about the EQ pots - and using something else rather than a mouse.

Anyone using anything that worth looking at - for this ?
I have used both Mackie control pro and Behringer X-touch in Mackie emulation with great success.
I actually prefer the X-touch somewhat but there is a problem with it if the cpu of your computer is an AMD type.
My laptop and one of my tower are AMD and it does not work! The other older tower and laptop use Intel chips and works like a charm.
It's not a question of drivers! Even Behringer are baffled by this one!
The real Mackie (Mc Coy Smile ) works with no problem at all on every machine.

I also have two small controller that I use on a field recorder (Audio Devices MixPre 10 ll) a Akai MidiMix and a small Korg nanoKontrol2 that I intend to try on my multitrack system, I need just the 'tape' control buttons... start, stop, recored rewind fast forward etc... I don't have much use for the sliders in this case.

(Edit concerning the problem with AMD cpu chip set)
There is thread on a forum here that seems to have solved the problem.
I have to get deeper into this as I really would like to have the X-touch running!
I use the Xtouch Compact in MIDI CC and the Xtouch One in Mackie mode for our live streams. The only issue is having to manually rediscover the Xtouch One after launching Mixbus. 

The studio DAW is running a first-gen AMD 1700.
(12-03-2021, 04:34 PM)Venn Wrote: I use the Xtouch Compact in MIDI CC and the Xtouch One in Mackie mode for our live streams. The only issue is having to manually rediscover the Xtouch One after launching Mixbus. 

The studio DAW is running a first-gen AMD 1700.

It seems that it is a question of "Code 10 insufficient resources" and is related to the fact that the power over USB is insufficient to drive it! which is weird, since the X-touch has an external PSU anyway!
Does anyone using Presonus faderPort 8 or 16 channels have this issue?
(12-03-2021, 11:57 AM)converted Wrote: has anyone had any experience in using a controller with the mixbus 32?

Im interested - whilst thinking about the EQ pots - and using something else rather than a mouse.

Anyone using anything that worth looking at - for this ?

Hopefully I hope you don't think I am hijacking your subject, but I genuinely wanted to warn you about some issues with the X-touch, which is a really fine unit!
The presonus FaderPort seems to be a very good unit (have never tried it, but Presonus makes good stuff!) 
I don't know if you are a pro or a basement engineer, but my advice is if you want trouble free no hassle get a Mackie control universal pro, the most expensive of the bunch but it it works with anything all the time. Plug it and go about doing music!
And it's built like the proverbial battle ship!
Smile
While I have an MCU I use...for EQ knobs, I use a Griffin Powermate knob--MUCH less $$...that emulates the mousewheel, I believe, only with a more  smooth granular movement than any mouse I've owned.

But as a rule, I think the "point with one hand...adjust with other" works better than scrolling "modes" on a MCU type control surface to get to whatever EQ or aux send mode.
Win10pro(2004) : i7 8700/RX570 8gb/16gb/970evo : RME PCIe Multiface : Mixbus 32c 4.3 & 7.2
Other DAWs: Logic 10.4 (MacBook) Cubase 10.5 (PC)
Music: https://jamielang.bandcamp.com
Using X touch and one extender. Not really using many of the knobs and buttons, just the faders for using Mixbus for live sound. Works good for that. Also have issues with Mixbus not seeing the control surface sometimes, requiring "discover", or in some cases, shut down and re-boot. If the Xtouch is not turned on before Mixbus is loaded, it always fails to recognize the control surface.
(12-03-2021, 09:39 PM)JamieLang Wrote: I use a Griffin Powermate knob--MUCH less $$...that emulates the mousewheel, I believe, only with a more  smooth granular movement than any mouse I've owned.
Looked into Griffin hoping to get a Powermate and I see they are now discontinued... pity the step resolution for panning and fader seems to have been significantly higher than most mouse / pointers around.
Macmini 8,1 | OS X 13.6.3 | 3 GHz i5 32G | Scarlett 18i20 | Mixbus 10 | PT_2024.3.1 .....  Macmini 9,1 | OS X 14.4.1 | M1 2020 | Mixbus 10 | Resolve 18.6.5
Wink 
(12-03-2021, 10:30 PM)Brian Mills Wrote: Using X touch and one extender. Not really using many of the knobs and buttons, just the faders for using Mixbus for live sound. Works good for that.  Also have issues with Mixbus not seeing the control surface sometimes, requiring "discover", or in some cases, shut down and re-boot.  If the Xtouch is not turned on before Mixbus is loaded, it always fails to recognize the control surface.

Awesome Brian. Same setup here. I have the Behringer X-Touch and the X-Touch Extender for 16 faders for live sound. We use it for our Church services paired with Mixbus.

We basically use the faders, mute buttons, fader banks and the Buses, Global View and User groups of faders together with the scribble strips. It definitely works great!

We intended to use the knobs for compressor and EQ, but the mouse workflow is just faster than using the buttons.

I recently started using the big wheel, marker, zoom in and out  to do editing for our Christmas program. It is a pleasure to work like that.
I should stock up on old stock ones! 

I DO seem to remember there being some BS on MacOS...where newer MAcOS only supported the BluTooth version, which isn't want I have...bless Windows driver model for compatibility. Mine is a little USB cable hanging off my keyboard.
Win10pro(2004) : i7 8700/RX570 8gb/16gb/970evo : RME PCIe Multiface : Mixbus 32c 4.3 & 7.2
Other DAWs: Logic 10.4 (MacBook) Cubase 10.5 (PC)
Music: https://jamielang.bandcamp.com