Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Plug in UI problems in 7.2 but not 4.3?
I just bought Mixbus32c v 7.2....I've been using v4.3 (the last release of 4?) for a few years now to mix. It's always had an issue with the UI of Ivory (virtual piano) that comes and goes--meaning I think I fixed it...it works for a while and then boom--nope, we're back to it freezing the app...and early on it had an issue with the Harrison plug ins UI (turned out to be a setting in the intel GPU)....but, otherwise...I've been using plugs from Slate, Waves, IK, Voxengo,. Relab, East West--I have a whole host of tools, without issue in 4.3.

Now in v7.2....seemingly Waves and Soothe (both OpenGL, I believe) freeze up the app. It will eventually respond, but it never REALLY comes back to being functional. Meaning it takes like 30sec to register a mouse click...

Observation I will test further--I don't know why this matters...but, it APPEARS to happen when opening a SECOND instance of a given plug in. ??? Like I did a new project. Opened a SD3 and Ivory instance, recorded a quick noodle so there's audio going on both stereo channels. Insert Soothe on the piano? Adjust as needed in the UI....all good....put a second instance on the drum channel? Freeze. I unhid the VST2 versions to see if it tracked to the newer implementation of VST3 hosting. It seems to behave the same with either.

If you focus on Soothe--it does is repeatable every time. In a NEW 7.2 project, I've not found the Waves...I'll have to open some old projects and see specifically which ones were hanging. I don't use that many--Abbey Road Plates, LA3A, API 2500, and the Linear Phase Multiband seem to find their way into most mixes. The plates are in my mix template, so it's certainly in every one, but I nearly never adjust it....ha. I will report back with what I find....

Also note: audio continues to play...and via the MCU transport, I can start and stop playback--which includes the processing of the plug in sitting frozen on the screen, which sometimes even shows meter movement and such--I just can't interact with it.

...but, this is a frustrating experience. What are you guys doing in rendering plug ins SOOOO differently than Cubase? It seems like almost every issue I've had with MB over the years has been related to plug in UIs--and that included your OWN early on with the intel GPU. Which I'll say I updated my sig--I added a RX570/8gb some years back. And actually--the Win 2004 update made 32c 4.3's WHOLE UI glitchy AF until I updated the AMD driver. Meanwhile, both Cubase and Reaper's UI had no issues with either driver.

Also, while not fully related, this IS a graphics thing--why on EARTH did you make a toggle for the EQ/Sends? Can I get that gone? Even on my sad old "only HD 19x12" monitor, there's room for both....and yet...I have to toggle them? I don't stack 10 plug ins on a channel or anything.
Win10pro(2004) : i7 8700/RX570 8gb/16gb/970evo : RME PCIe Multiface : Mixbus 32c 4.3 & 7.2
Other DAWs: Logic 10.4 (MacBook) Cubase 10.5 (PC)
Music: https://jamielang.bandcamp.com
Update on Soothe...it has a built in option to disable OpenGL rendering...which seems to solve the repeatable issue with it. Still...this is a massively powerful OpenGL accelerator card--and makes Cubase smooth as buttah (relative to the intel GPU)...I don't think I have anything but defaults--in terms of all the antialias settings and such...I tend to leave that stuff alone since that's what caused the issues on the UHD630 with the Harrison OpenGL renderings....

EDIT: I reproduced it with Waves....Greg Wells ToneCentric and Linear Phase Multiband. I THINK....they're all Waves v10.x....I think I got them all WUP'd to one level and left it because I don't need the newer version for Apple's moving target of an OS.

FWIW-Unlike the Soothe...the Waves stuff locks it up so hard it requires task manger killing.
Win10pro(2004) : i7 8700/RX570 8gb/16gb/970evo : RME PCIe Multiface : Mixbus 32c 4.3 & 7.2
Interesting update...I think it's just Soothe. It's Soothe's using OpenGL that seems to be causing the Waves to lock the app up.

If I disable the OpenGL rendering in the Soothe demo...Waves won't lock it up. Knock wood. Also...Soothe as VST2 uses WAY less resources than VST3. So, now that I have it's VST3 hidden AND it's configured to not use OpenGL rendering...I'm not having UI problems with it OR others. 

Still....Cubase=no UI issues with ALL VST3....and OpenGL enabled. Did I mention that the Win10 2004 update made 32c v4.3 chug visually like it was running on a 133mhz Pentium? Until I updated the AMD drivers. Cubase was unaffected.