Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Confused by 32C 7.1 manual
New to 32C V7.1 from V5, I’m going through the manual that came with the app download.  I also downloaded the manual directly from the Harrison site. Both are dated August 9 2021

I’m finding things in the manual that don’t correspond to what I see in V7.1, and starting to wonder if there is a newer manual I can’f find.  

1.  On p 87, right clicking the Jog/Shuttle control is supposed to bring up options, one of which is the Mode, which has two settings:

- Sprung: control returns to center position when mouse is released.
  - Wheel: control remains at its last location. 

The other two controls, Units and Speed do appear, but I can’t find a Mode option here.

2.  On p 88, it reads “To enable the “monitoring options” section of the toolbar, visit Preferences->Appearance->Toolbar and enable “Display Monitor Options” 

There is no “Display Monitor Options” there in Preferences.  There is a “Display Monitor Section Info” box but it does not show the same things.  In fact Display Monitor Options appear on in the Record window, and not in the other windows, and preferences do not address it as far as I can see.  This is also mentioned on p 133.  And even in the Record window this option does not appear in the “main transport bar”.  It’s in another bar under this. 

3.  P 95   Scrolling vertically in the Edit page with mouse wheel only scrolls the track headers.  The tracks themselves stay put until there is some sort of mouse movement over this section.  Is this the way it is supposed to be?   Odd if what you are looking for as you scroll is in the regions, rather than the header.  

4.  On markers: are there no default Start and End markers at the session start?  If you record something these appear, but they do not appear to be dependent on having any regions, because you can delete the regions and the markers remain.  Is this how it is supposed to be?

5.  P 116 “The meter displays the signal level on the track, and has a peak indicator. Double clicking in this area will reset that track’s peak indicator. “   This only work for the meters on the tracks at the top of the page.  How do you reset the vertical meters in the lower part of the window?

P 135 Following these instructions in the Loop Record video, (set a loop range, set a punch range, turn the punch indicators on, record arm tracks, press record, then press L to start the Loop) When I do this, pressing L turns the punch indicators off, so recoding happens for the entire loop range, not just between the Punch points.  How do you do look recording with punch in and out, using the loop indicators to set pre and post roll?   The manual seems to indicate you can do this, and use the Loop command to control the transport, but the Loop command turns Punch off.

At this point, I stopped reading and trying out V7.  Either I have the wrong manual or the wrong app version, or both.

Please enlighten me.
----
Mini 2018 32G i7, OS X 14.6, MB32C7, DP 10.13, Logic 10.5, Focusrite 18i8
(11-11-2021, 07:33 PM)bayswater Wrote: New to 32C V7.1 from V5, I’m going through the manual that came with the app download.  I also downloaded the manual directly from the Harrison site. Both are dated August 9 2021

I’m finding things in the manual that don’t correspond to what I see in V7.1, and starting to wonder if there is a newer manual I can’f find.  

There have been some pretty major changes from 7 thru 7.1 and 7.2 and as you point out the manual has not been updated recently.
I have emailed Mike and asked how he is going with updates. I will address what I can...

(11-11-2021, 07:33 PM)bayswater Wrote: 1.  On p 87, right clicking the Jog/Shuttle control is supposed to bring up options, one of which is the Mode, which has two settings:

The other two controls, Units and Speed do appear, but I can’t find a Mode option here.

The transport mode has changed with the introduction of Varispeed recording and sprung/wheel have been removed details... https://forum.harrisonconsoles.com/thread-10281.html Note these changes only apply to MB32Cv7+

(11-11-2021, 07:33 PM)bayswater Wrote: 2.  On p 88, it reads “To enable the “monitoring options” section of the toolbar, visit Preferences->Appearance->Toolbar and enable “Display Monitor Options” 

There is no “Display Monitor Options” there in Preferences.  There is a “Display Monitor Section Info” box but it does not show the same things.  In fact Display Monitor Options appear on in the Record window, and not in the other windows, and preferences do not address it as far as I can see.  This is also mentioned on p 133.  And even in the Record window this option does not appear in the “main transport bar”.  It’s in another bar under this. 

The Preferences section is under major rewrite. That option is now session based and has been moved to Session / Monitor / use Monitor section

(11-11-2021, 07:33 PM)bayswater Wrote: 3.  P 95   Scrolling vertically in the Edit page with mouse wheel only scrolls the track headers.  The tracks themselves stay put until there is some sort of mouse movement over this section.  Is this the way it is supposed to be?   Odd if what you are looking for as you scroll is in the regions, rather than the header.  

There is an issue with metal in macOS systems, to overcome issues brought on by Waves v12 you will need to download an alternate build for macOS.
Details here.. https://forum.harrisonconsoles.com/thread-10432.html

(11-11-2021, 07:33 PM)bayswater Wrote: 4.  On markers: are there no default Start and End markers at the session start?  If you record something these appear, but they do not appear to be dependent on having any regions, because you can delete the regions and the markers remain.  Is this how it is supposed to be?

Yes that is the way Mixbus works, session start and end are created by what you first import or record.

(11-11-2021, 07:33 PM)bayswater Wrote: 5.  P 116 “The meter displays the signal level on the track, and has a peak indicator. Double clicking in this area will reset that track’s peak indicator. “   This only work for the meters on the tracks at the top of the page.  How do you reset the vertical meters in the lower part of the window?

Sorry not sure what you are referring to here... unless it's Record Page in which case click the 'Reset Peak Hold' top RHS of UI

(11-11-2021, 07:33 PM)bayswater Wrote: P 135 Following these instructions in the Loop Record video, (set a loop range, set a punch range, turn the punch indicators on, record arm tracks, press record, then press L to start the Loop) When I do this, pressing L turns the punch indicators off, so recoding happens for the entire loop range, not just between the Punch points.  How do you do look recording with punch in and out, using the loop indicators to set pre and post roll?   The manual seems to indicate you can do this, and use the Loop command to control the transport, but the Loop command turns Punch off.

Loop record in Punch mode has been disabled until Loop timing issues are fixed.

(11-11-2021, 07:33 PM)bayswater Wrote: At this point, I stopped reading and trying out V7.  Either I have the wrong manual or the wrong app version, or both.

Please enlighten me.
Macmini 8,1 | OS X 13.6.3 | 3 GHz i5 32G | Scarlett 18i20 | Mixbus 10 | PT_2024.3.1 .....  Macmini 9,1 | OS X 14.4.1 | M1 2020 | Mixbus 10 | Resolve 18.6.5
@Dingo -
Thank you for your detailed response.
I was surprised to read that Loop/Punch Mode issues have still not been resolved.
Not a big deal for me as I just continue to record to my HD24 (which handles that operation perfectly)
and then import those tracks into MB/MB32C. BUT, I will gladly bypass that process once it works with Mixbus!
Cheers!
Patrick
(11-11-2021, 07:33 PM)bayswater Wrote: New to 32C V7.1 from V5, I’m going through the manual that came with the app download.  I also downloaded the manual directly from the Harrison site. Both are dated August 9 2021

1.  On p 87, right clicking the Jog/Shuttle control is supposed to bring up options, one of which is the Mode, which has two settings:

2.  On p 88, it reads “To enable the “monitoring options” section of the toolbar, visit Preferences->Appearance->Toolbar and enable “Display Monitor Options” 

3.  P 95   Scrolling vertically in the Edit page with mouse wheel only scrolls the track headers.  The tracks themselves stay put until there is some sort of mouse movement over this section.  Is this the way it is supposed to be?   Odd if what you are looking for as you scroll is in the regions, rather than the header.  

4.  On markers: are there no default Start and End markers at the session start?  If you record something these appear, but they do not appear to be dependent on having any regions, because you can delete the regions and the markers remain.  Is this how it is supposed to be?

5.  P 116 “The meter displays the signal level on the track, and has a peak indicator. Double clicking in this area will reset that track’s peak indicator. “   This only work for the meters on the tracks at the top of the page.  How do you reset the vertical meters in the lower part of the window?

P 135 Following these instructions in the Loop Record video, (set a loop range, set a punch range, turn the punch indicators on, record arm tracks, press record, then press L to start the Loop) When I do this, pressing L turns the punch indicators off, so recoding happens for the entire loop range, not just between the Punch points.  How do you do look recording with punch in and out, using the loop indicators to set pre and post roll?   The manual seems to indicate you can do this, and use the Loop command to control the transport, but the Loop command turns Punch off.

At this point, I stopped reading and trying out V7.  Either I have the wrong manual or the wrong app version, or both.

Please enlighten me.
+1
Cool
(11-11-2021, 10:10 PM)Dingo Wrote: Thanks.  That's a pretty comprehensive reply.  Please see a couple of follow ups below.

(11-11-2021, 07:33 PM)bayswater Wrote: 3.  P 95   Scrolling vertically in the Edit page with mouse wheel only scrolls the track headers.  The tracks themselves stay put until there is some sort of mouse movement over this section.  Is this the way it is supposed to be?   Odd if what you are looking for as you scroll is in the regions, rather than the header.  

There is an issue with metal in macOS systems, to overcome issues brought on by Waves v12 you will need to download an alternate build for macOS.
Details here.. https://forum.harrisonconsoles.com/thread-10432.html

I stopped updating Waves near the end of V9.  Is this alt build something I should do anyway, or is it specific to those with Waves 12?  EDIT: Just has a look at this thread.  The other thing is my Mac is a 2018 Mini, so should I be running this version (for Macs prior to 2018).  

(11-11-2021, 07:33 PM)bayswater Wrote: 5.  P 116 “The meter displays the signal level on the track, and has a peak indicator. Double clicking in this area will reset that track’s peak indicator. “   This only work for the meters on the tracks at the top of the page.  How do you reset the vertical meters in the lower part of the window?

Sorry not sure what you are referring to here... unless it's Record Page in which case click the 'Reset Peak Hold' top RHS of UI

In the Record window, there are tracks at the top and channels with faders at the bottom.  The double click removes the peak indicator in the tracks at the top but not those in the channels at the bottom.  
----
The x86 build is what you need regardless of Waves. It addresses an issue with some Macs.
I have two Mac mini rigs, one like yours is 2018 and I need to run the x86 version to get stable graphics.
It has something to do with 'metal' version of graphics systems in macOS.

In the Record window, double click will clear the peak holds on the track display at top.
For the Input meters at the bottom, use the 'Reset Peak Hold' button which is the top right hand side of the record page.
Macmini 8,1 | OS X 13.6.3 | 3 GHz i5 32G | Scarlett 18i20 | Mixbus 10 | PT_2024.3.1 .....  Macmini 9,1 | OS X 14.4.1 | M1 2020 | Mixbus 10 | Resolve 18.6.5
(11-12-2021, 06:25 PM)Dingo Wrote: The x86 build is what you need regardless of Waves. It addresses an issue with some Macs.
I have two Mac mini rigs, one like yours is 2018 and I need to run the x86 version to get stable graphics.
It has something to do with 'metal' version of graphics systems in macOS.

In the Record window, double click will clear the peak holds on the track display at top.
For the Input meters at the bottom, use the 'Reset Peak Hold' button which is the top right hand side of the record page.

Thanks Dingo.  I'll install th x86 version.  Looking forward to the manual update.
----