Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cue mix latency correction in P16 system
(12-04-2021, 07:00 PM)JB Berg Wrote:
(12-04-2021, 05:17 PM)Dingo Wrote: Create a new mono audio track,  open Window / Audio Connections.
From the Source List (LHS) select Mixbus(32C) Misc / Click Out.
From Destinations select Mixbus Tracks / patch Click Out to the input of your newly created audio track.
From Destinations select Hardware and un-patch the Click Out.
Record the Click for the range you require. I then cut to the first mod of the first click and align that to the grid with the amount of count in I want.
Deassign the click channel from all Busses and the Master, (unless you want to hear it in the control room) you can route to the Foldback Busses which you then feed to cans for artists.

https://rsrc.harrisonconsoles.com/mixbus...ons-window

Thanks Dingo,
This is a great way to get the recorded click track into the headphones for sure. It will be the same as previously recorded material

My question was how I can make sure the new recording is in sync with the existing one, regardless if I actually use a click track in tracking (I usually don't) or just playback. Meaning, is the playback in the cans aligned with the signal being recorded in the DAW at the same time.

Well what happens here?

1) recorded signal goes out to the headphones, picking up 1x latency, time depending on buffer settings
2) live signal goes in at 1x latency and is recorded
3) recorded signal needs to be shifted to the left by 2x latency
Latency is 1sec/samplerate*buffersize*numberofbuffers, for example
1sec/44.1kHz*1024*2=46.4ms in+out=46.4+46.4=92.8 ==> recorded tracks need to be nudged to earlier in the time line by 92.8ms
This is of course when you don't use any latency introducing plugins in the playback path.

You can also find the real latency with the round trip utility.

Or as a third method: if you have recorded a click track with the first recording, you can play that out again and then record it again through the interface in a separate track. After recording you select all tracks including the re-recorded click track and match the new click with the old recorded click track you played out. No arithmetic, no roundtrip-tool, super accurate.

HTH
MMM
Linux throughout!
Main PC: XEON, 64GB DDR4, 1x SATA SSD, 1x NVME, MOTU UltraLite AVB

Mixbus 32C, Hydrogen, Jack... and Behringer synths
(12-04-2021, 11:08 PM)madmaxmiller Wrote: Or as a third method: if you have recorded a click track with the first recording, you can play that out again and then record it again through the interface in a separate track. After recording you select all tracks including the re-recorded click track and match the new click with the old recorded click track you played out. No arithmetic, no roundtrip-tool, super accurate.

HTH
MMM

Yes, for accurate results it basically boils down to recording some form of markers and aligning those.
Having the built in calibration tool (which is a great feature) just calculate the latency would be the easy option.

Thanks for the input everyone.