Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
assigning channel to direct output
Lightbulb 
Hi there in MixBus7 land! Smile

I have a Midas 'Venice F32' which has built-in 32 channels of AD/DA converters that I want to use as my sound interface. (Firewire)
On each of the 32 input channels there is a button that will select if the signal to the strips comes from the preamp or the DA converter, hence MixBus.

It's easy for me to set the input strips in Mixbus7 to any AD from the Midas, but I am scratching my head as to how I can send ,say the channel one of Mixbus7 to channel one on the Midas (trough DA of course).

Does each channel strip on Mixbus HAS to go trough the busses and/or the master out?

Is there something equivalent as a 'direct out' on the channel strips?

I can do this in Reaper, but I prefer to use MixBus.

I would like to use MixBus just like in the old days (I am old!) of analogue tape recorders! 

So maybe this can comes as a request to the developers, give us a 'direct out' we can already do this on the busses!

Thank you, Luc
Assuming that you want to do this so you can mix on the Midas surface go Window / Audio Connections ...

Source = Mixbus Tracks - Destination = Hardware.. here you can route the direct channel out as a 1:1 to the Midas inputs.

(1:1 meaning if it is a mono channel then it is a mono feed, but if stereo channel it would be dual outs)

Just remember that Direct Out is just that and you cannot pan from a mono direct out using Mixbus, you would have to do panning on Midas.

Also you might find that Plugin Delay Compensation is messed up if you are adding plugins to some channels.

This signal flow diagram helps explain the path.... https://rsrc.harrisonconsoles.com/mixbus...ignal-flow

Macmini 8,1 | OS X 13.6.3 | 3 GHz i5 32G | Scarlett 18i20 | Mixbus 10 | PT_2024.3.1 .....  Macmini 9,1 | OS X 14.4.1 | M1 2020 | Mixbus 10 | Resolve 18.6.5
Alternatively, right-click on the track name > Outputs, then click the "Hardware" Destinations tab. This lets you assign the direct out(s) of just this track to whichever hardware input(s) you want. It's the same as Windows > Audio Connections (what Dingo said) but for setting only one track at a time, so obviously not the preferred way if you need to set multiple tracks at once.
(10-25-2021, 04:35 PM)Dingo Wrote: Assuming that you want to do this so you can mix on the Midas surface go Window / Audio Connections ...

Source = Mixbus Tracks - Destination = Hardware.. here you can route the direct channel out as a 1:1 to the Midas inputs.

(1:1 meaning if it is a mono channel then it is a mono feed, but if stereo channel it would be dual outs)

Just remember that Direct Out is just that and you cannot pan from a mono direct out using Mixbus, you would have to do panning on Midas.

Also you might find that Plugin Delay Compensation is messed up if you are adding plugins to some channels.

This signal flow diagram helps explain the path.... https://rsrc.harrisonconsoles.com/mixbus...ignal-flow

Thank Dingo! Smile
I finally found a way yesterday and spent a few hours setting things up and I am not even finished!  Sad
I did it in the EDIT section and found that by right clicking on a track I can access the hardware I/O to the Midas.
Then I just tried the method you describe and yessss!   I will configure the rest today.

The way I see it, I will have 24 mono ins/direct outs, 4 stereo channels (25-32) and I will assign stereo bus 9-12 to hardware outputs 25-32, at least that's the current idea...
I saved the project as a template for other sessions....

Thanks for that!  Cool
(10-26-2021, 03:24 AM)johndev Wrote: Alternatively, right-click on the track name > Outputs, then click the "Hardware" Destinations tab. This lets you assign the direct out(s) of just this track to whichever hardware input(s) you want. It's the same as Windows > Audio Connections (what Dingo said) but for setting only one track at a time, so obviously not the preferred way if you need to set multiple tracks at once.

Thank you john, later after i posted I found that I can assign the hardware on a channel by channel basis (see my reply to Dingo).
This method is find when we want to modify the signal flow of one channel, but the "audio Connection Manager" is much better way, and less error prone as it gets very visual.

Luc