Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Preferred places to live and work...
I'll bet Motown was a great place to be during the 60's and 70's - but if you could have your time again, where would you want to live and work? In my younger years I always fancied San Francisco although the closest I ever came was Los Angeles (which I hated!!)  I also spent a year or so working in Hong Kong - which I loved. And New Zealand - which I also loved. What'd be your choices?  Undecided  Big Grin
Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit...
Wisdom is knowing you don't put tomatoes in a fruit salad !!
NYC, late 50's early 60's, the folk scene.
Win10 64 i5 3330 Quad Core, AVL/MXE i5, MB 3-9, MB32C 3-9, Tascam US 20x20(2), Tascam 388, Alesis HD24, Alesis ML 9600(2), A&H GL2400, Soundcraft Studio Spirit 24, Roland Integra7, Roland S-50, M-Audio Hammer 88, ART/ MPA Gold/ TPSII/Pro Channel(2)/Pro VLA(3), lots of tubes
Termite Terrace LA 40’s 50’s Looney Tunes era
Macmini 8,1 | OS X 13.6.3 | 3 GHz i5 32G | Scarlett 18i20 | Mixbus 10 | PT_2024.3.1 .....  Macmini 9,1 | OS X 14.4.1 | M1 2020 | Mixbus 10 | Resolve 18.6.5
Hawaii's always been on my bucket list. I can't say I'm into Hawaiian music exactly but when I was a kid, my folks were big Laurel & Hardy fans and I've a vague recollection of seeing Hawaii in one of their films. Even in black & white it looked a lot more exotic than the grimy streets where we lived!!
Munich 70s - all British top acts recording and hanging out there because if it wasn't recorded in the UK they didn't have to pay taxes for the sales, weird...
I actually worked in the same building, coding some programs for an insurance company, 25 years later... too little too late i guess Big Grin
https://www.sageaudio.com/blog/music-new...tudios.php

MMM
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Musicland_Studios
Reinhold Mack (known as just "Mack") was close to Freddie Mercury, in fact Freddie Mercury was the godfather of Freddie Mack - Mack's son. Mack also has some interesting stories about working with Jeff Lynn Smile
Linux throughout!
Main PC: XEON, 64GB DDR4, 1x SATA SSD, 1x NVME, MOTU UltraLite AVB

Mixbus 32C, Hydrogen, Jack... and Behringer synths
(10-23-2021, 04:43 PM)Dingo Wrote: Termite Terrace LA 40’s 50’s Looney Tunes era

1000 times yes!!

Treg Brown and Carl Stalling were damn geniuses!!
Cool topic!  :-)

Putting things in perspective, I'm 59 years old. If I must choose locations, I believe that for the late '70s and through the '80s, I would have been in London, maybe San Francisco,  somewhere in Germany, and LA and New York. After the '80s when the music became more and more squeezed and beaten to death: certainly not those places!

The thing is that I thrive anywhere and my real home would be and (and still are) where the music is. I love the road and the studio.
Mixbus/Mixbus32C on Linux (Kubuntu)/KXStudio repositories.
GUI: KDE and Fluxbox
A friend of mine worked for a UK company who transferred him to their US office in San Diego. He was horrified because it sounded like a real 'one horse town' and he thought he'd hate it there. But apparently it's vibrant and modern and exciting and he absolutely loves living there.
(10-24-2021, 05:05 AM)madmaxmiller Wrote: Munich 70s - all British top acts recording and hanging out there because if it wasn't recorded in the UK they didn't have to pay taxes for the sales, weird...
I actually worked in the same building, coding some programs for an insurance company, 25 years later... too little too late i guess Big Grin

MMM
Reinhold Mack (known as just "Mack") was close to Freddie Mercury, in fact Freddie Mercury was the godfather of Freddie Mack - Mack's son. Mack also has some interesting stories about working with Jeff Lynn Smile

Funny enough I lived in Munich 72-73, never ran into any UK rock stars though! I was MD'ing Abi Ofarim & Tom Winter's band to promote their debut - and only - album on CBS - ended up touring UK with The New Seekers and then they fizzled out....loved Munich though, great city for a 19 year old long haired Brit guitarist.
(11-07-2021, 09:18 AM)Scardanelli Wrote:
(10-24-2021, 05:05 AM)madmaxmiller Wrote: Munich 70s - all British top acts recording and hanging out there because if it wasn't recorded in the UK they didn't have to pay taxes for the sales, weird...

MMM

Funny enough I lived in Munich 72-73, never ran into any UK rock stars though! I was MD'ing Abi Ofarim & Tom Winter's band to promote their debut - and only - album on CBS - ended up touring UK with The New Seekers and then they fizzled out....loved Munich though, great city for a 19 year old long haired Brit guitarist.

Haha bad timing maybe. I know Freddie and Richie (Blackmore) hung out frequently in Schwabing and I met a bunch of people who actually met them there back in the day.
I myself in 1972: year 2/3 primary school in East Germany behind the Iron Curtain - that's multiple reasons why I didn't meet anyone  Big Grin

MMM
Linux throughout!
Main PC: XEON, 64GB DDR4, 1x SATA SSD, 1x NVME, MOTU UltraLite AVB

Mixbus 32C, Hydrogen, Jack... and Behringer synths