Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cannot add plugin to older session
Hello,

First of all, side note: firefox does not work anymore to access this forum ('authorization code mismatch') using the correct login name and password so I'm forced to use chromium which I do not like.  Hence the absence since more than a year now.

Now, using version 7.0.0 of 32C, I load an 'old' session, from about 3-4 years ago.  All is loading well and playing well.  But each time I try to load a plugin on the master bus it crashes along with jackd.  Each and every time.  The OS is Xubuntu and the plugin is a Windows plugin (Voxengo's TEOTE) loaded using wine and linvst.

Needless to say, that plugin as well as all other plugins are loading very fine in new sessions as well as in recent (1 year, perhaps 2 years) sessions.

Is this a known problem ?

Cheers.

Update: Since I only get emails about new releases and NOT about point releases, I took a look and saw that there's a version 7.1.  I installed it and the problem remains.  32C and jackd are crashing every single time.

With 7.1 I tried to load a more recent version and load the same plugin : no problem at all.

With 7.1 I also created a new session and loaded the same plugin : no problem at all.

The problem is only when loading much older sessions.  Which is a bummer since one of he practical aspects of loading a much older session is to apply new plugins to it.

I see that this would probably have to be in the Linux section.
Does it load in the original version the session was created in?
MMM
Linux throughout!
Main PC: XEON, 64GB DDR4, 1x SATA SSD, 1x NVME, MOTU UltraLite AVB

Mixbus 32C, Hydrogen, Jack... and Behringer synths
If you need older versions that you have a license for...
https://harrisonconsoles.com/harrison-so...downloads/
Macmini 8,1 | OS X 13.6.3 | 3 GHz i5 32G | Scarlett 18i20 | Mixbus 10 | PT_2024.3.1 .....  Macmini 9,1 | OS X 14.4.1 | M1 2020 | Mixbus 10 | Resolve 18.6.5
(10-03-2021, 10:17 AM)jonetsu Wrote: All is loading well and playing well.  But each time I try to load a plugin on the master bus it crashes along with jackd.  Each and every time.  The OS is Xubuntu and the plugin is a Windows plugin (Voxengo's TEOTE) loaded using wine and linvst.

Is it only crashing when added to the master bus or does it always crash (i.e even when loaded in a channel?) I'm wondering if you could load it into a channel and then drag it to the master bus?
Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit...
Wisdom is knowing you don't put tomatoes in a fruit salad !!
Max: I found the original version number in the first few lines of the .ardour file that was copied by the new Mixbus32C at the opening of the older session:

<ProgramVersion created-with="Mixbus32C 3.7-27-g0b27197"

Dingo: It does not look like there are any 32C version available for download under the Version 3 section on the download page.

Johne53: Ah! Just tried it with 7.1. Loading a Windows plugin (same Voxengo TEOTE) works fine for a channel. ... When dragged to the master bus it crashes Mixbus32C and jackd. Maybe it's possible to route the master bus to a channel then export only that channel as a stereo master ? Smile

I would guess with this simple channel/-to-master bus copy test that there's no need to try with the original 3.7.27 version as the problem lies wholly in version 7.

By the way, I mentioned only the TEOTE plugin although the crash is the same with any Windows plugin.

Oh, and about using chromium : it's not so much that I don't like it. It's more about that I do not like that the errors it reports every single time are about trying to create a chroot from multiple threads (which is not nice and revolves around security) and some SSL errors (ditto).
(10-04-2021, 10:01 AM)jonetsu Wrote: Maybe it's possible to route the master bus to a channel then export only that channel as a stereo master ? Smile

Interesting problem... at the bottom-right of the master bus I can route the output to a stereo MB channel. And at the top of that channel, it shows as being fed from the Master output. But strangely, when I press 'Play' I see something on the Master output's meter but nothing on the channel's meter  Even stranger, I can route that channel to the Master output bus and it doesn't cause a feedback loop. Haven't quite figured it out yet... Huh
What are you using to load Windows plugin? LinVST, Yabridge, Carla? Possibly not relevant if it works in a channel but strange behaviour so worth a thought.
I looked at Voxengo TEOTE recently, seems to be similar to XT-SC. I tried SPAN but free version is not resizable so not very useful on 4K monitors, didn't bother trying TEOTE demo.
I find Windows plugins under Linux mostly run fine but a small percentage are just bastards which I delete straight after trying them.

Re Firefox: I always use Firefox here with no issues. I also don't get errors with Chromium although I dislike it too.
Mixbus 32C, Debian Bookworm/KDE, EVE SC205 + ADAM Sub 8 monitors, Soundcraft Compact 4, M-Audio 2496, i5 6500, 16GB RAM, WD Blue SSD 1TB, 48" LG OLED, other stuff.
Work as house engineer at a popular venue in Melbourne AU. On a quest for the holy grail, the perfect amount of cowbell.

(10-04-2021, 10:36 AM)johne53 Wrote:
(10-04-2021, 10:01 AM)jonetsu Wrote: Maybe it's possible to route the master bus to a channel then export only that channel as a stereo master ? Smile

Interesting problem... at the bottom-right of the master bus I can route the output to a stereo MB channel. And at the top of that channel, it shows as being fed from the Master output. But strangely, when I press 'Play' I see something on the Master output's meter but nothing on the channel's meter  Even stranger, I can route that channel to the Master output bus and it doesn't cause a feedback loop. Haven't quite figured it out yet... Huh

In any case I should be able to export all tracks and load them in a newly created session.  That way every plugin will work OK.  I can take a screenshot of the original session so I can still reference the mods that were made on the tracks.

One thing though with this is that the menu bar in the mixer at the top of the screen view has disappeared.  There must be a way to bring it back.  Quickly looked at the preferences but haven't seen the option.
(10-04-2021, 10:36 AM)johne53 Wrote: I can route the output to a stereo MB channel. And at the top of that channel, it shows as being fed from the Master output. But strangely, when I press 'Play' I see something on the Master output's meter but nothing on the channel's meter  [...] Haven't quite figured it out yet... Huh

I just figured it out... to see the Master output on the channel's meter I need to place the channel into Rec Enable