Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Export problem: need normalization not for every track to peak
I am mixing/mastering a classical live recording.

When I now export the entire session with CD markers (one big wav file plus cue and toc files) it gets normalized to -1dBFS peak and that means that not all CD tracks get normalized to -1dB. The quiet movements are quieter than the louder ones. That's what I want.

Now for the problem:

I also want to export the single movements (ranges) as separate files. In this case each track/movement gets normalized to -1dB peak and now the quieter movements are too loud.

How can I get Mixbus to show the normalization behaviour as described above? (In other words: I need the normalization to be applied to the entire album not to each single track even when exporting ranges.)
Export the whole session then import that file into new session and edit to create the single movements then reexport with no normalisation ... as that was done on first export.
Macmini 8,1 | OS X 13.6.3 | 3 GHz i5 32G | Scarlett 18i20 | Mixbus 10 | PT_2024.3.1 .....  Macmini 9,1 | OS X 14.4.1 | M1 2020 | Mixbus 10 | Resolve 18.6.5
(09-24-2021, 03:19 PM)Dingo Wrote: Export the whole session then import that file into new session and edit to create the single movements then reexport with no normalisation ... as that was done on first export.

If you line that up with the original session you can use the ranges you used for the TOC/CUE. (given the session was continuous)
MMM
Linux throughout!
Main PC: XEON, 64GB DDR4, 1x SATA SSD, 1x NVME, MOTU UltraLite AVB

Mixbus 32C, Hydrogen, Jack... and Behringer synths
(09-24-2021, 03:19 PM)Dingo Wrote: Export the whole session then import that file into new session and edit to create the single movements then reexport with no normalisation ... as that was done on first export.

Well, that's a workaround that I didn't find myself. Thanks! (I get some additional "Mixbus Sound" processing this way, but it works.)
If you switch out the Master channel limiter and wind the tape sat drive to minimum you will get more of a pass through
Macmini 8,1 | OS X 13.6.3 | 3 GHz i5 32G | Scarlett 18i20 | Mixbus 10 | PT_2024.3.1 .....  Macmini 9,1 | OS X 14.4.1 | M1 2020 | Mixbus 10 | Resolve 18.6.5
If I understood the problem seems you have the audio and cue files of the normalized export and you then want the separated pieces/movements/segments without any further mix/norm/master/ing on it?
If that's correct I'd think the easy way would be to do it externally (or eventually in an internal script but I don't know how tho LUA Big Grin ) using some shnsplit command on your files, something in this style:
Code:
shnsplit -f "fulltrack.cue" -o flac -t "%n.%t" "fulltrack.wav"
Mixbus/32C 5.3.22, 6.2.407 and 7.1.92 on Manjaro midtower i5-6600K 3.5GHz and Manjaro or LibraZik3 on Lenovo X250 i5
Mixbus 5.3.22 and 6.2.407 on Win10x64/Lenovo T40 i7 and X250 i5
audiocards: Scarlett 2i4, Tascam US4x4HR
(09-26-2021, 04:04 AM)Harvey Stuart Wrote: If I understood the problem seems you have the audio and cue files of the normalized export and you then want the separated pieces/movements/segments without any further mix/norm/master/ing on it?
If that's correct I'd think the easy way would be to do it externally (or eventually in an internal script but I don't know how tho LUA Big Grin ) using some shnsplit command on your files, something in this style:
Code:
shnsplit -f "fulltrack.cue" -o flac -t "%n.%t" "fulltrack.wav"

Cool one.
MMM
Linux throughout!
Main PC: XEON, 64GB DDR4, 1x SATA SSD, 1x NVME, MOTU UltraLite AVB

Mixbus 32C, Hydrogen, Jack... and Behringer synths
Not that you need another solution, but for no particular reason I'd do this in your shoes:
1. export session, normalize to -0.1 as you have been.
2. Take note of the exact gain applied during normalization. I believe this shows up in the export report window.
3. export individual ranges, applying gain noted above. No normalization. Add the gain on the master bus or whatever.