Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Looking for advice on mastering studio stereo recording
Our band recorded live at a rehearsal space. The stereo recording was made with on a Soundcraft MH2 32 into a Tascam SS-200 USB Recorder. The guitar amps were closed mic'd, bass amp DI out, bass drum and snare closed mic'd plus overheads. The mix was set once at the beginning of the session and the instrument/vocal mix is ok.

I imported the track into Mixbus. In the past I have used the IK Lurssen mastering VST along with a Voxengo room reverb on the master bus successfully. I recently acquired the IK Sunset Studio reverb plugin - I'm thinking of using Live Room Studio 2 Position 2. I also added a little MB drive and have removed some low bass. The tracks sound more natural now but I'm posting here to see if anyone has recommendations for this situation. These tracks are going to be combined with video recorded on an iPhone 12. 

Thanks in advanced for any advice or suggestions.
I ended up sending the original stereo track to Mixbus1 and Mixbus2. I put the Sunset Reverb on Mixbus2 with Live Room - Studio 2 - Position 2 at 100 percent wet, and decay at 60 percent and set the high pass filter to cut anything under 330. On Mixbus1 I added a tiny bit of drive. I used the compressor on the stereo track with just a light amount of compression. Then I put Lurssen Mastering on the master and used setting Pop Rock and actually rode the "push" a bit to enhance the more energetic passages. I got closer to my goal than I thought I would. As usual tracks sounded better simply by playing into the Mixbus32C strip. I did use the strip EQ to give the vocals a tiny bump.
Just curious....
Which Voxengo plugin are you referring to?
(09-22-2021, 08:40 AM)CurtZHP Wrote: Just curious....
Which Voxengo plugin are you referring to?

Hi Curt,

Voxengo OldSkoolVerb. It sounded good on the master of a Beatles instrumental cover I recently made.