Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Midi editing issues
Hi,

I've had issues with the midi editing since Mixbus V5 and the problems persists in V7. In general I'm not doing anything complicated like orchestral arrangements - I record drum takes using an e-kit and do light editing after.

I was wondering whether anyone has any workarounds?

1)
The first issue is multi-selected midi notes does not clamp/saturate the velocity values when velocity is edited. For instance, if you have 2 notes selected, one at velocity 1 and the second at velocity 126 you only have 2 steps of range. Most daws will clamp the final value so the logic is: NoteVelocity = clamp(OriginalNoteVelocity + VelocityOffset, 0, 127);
Mixbus is instead clamping VelocityOffset by the largest and smallest NoteVelocity in the current selection, which is not as useful.

2)
The second issue is how hard it is to see when midi items are linked. There is no UI feedback whatsoever, and the unlink option is unhelpfully located down at least 3 sub menus.

3)
Stacked midi items all play back at the same time. This make using takes and midi unusable. The only reason you'd want stacked midi items all playing back at the same time is if you're doing multi channel arrangements, at which point I'd argue it'd be much better if you could route individual midi tracks to a singular midi instrument. At least the option to have stacked midi behave the same as audio would be a great addition.

4)
There appears to be no way of glueing midi parts together.

5)
In general the midi editing pane will not follow the zoom level and stops at a maximum height. That maximum height appears to have some relation to the size of the track before it has been zoomed or resized:

Dragging the size of the track individually:
https://pasteboard.co/MBuMrOYeKwZO.png

Using 'Z' to zoom in on a clip from a very zoomed out perspective:
https://pasteboard.co/Udaw24UyBk1c.png

Cheers
I know this kind of sounds unsupportive of MB which I think is a great product for what it's designed to do, but as an analogue emulation of a mixing console, midi features have never been strong and lack a lot of functions that other DAWs consider standard stuff. Midi in MB is more about tweaking any issues, rather than recording or programming from scratch. I recommend doing the majority of your Midi work in another app and importing the file in afterwards.
Hi jvvh,

I also record edrums. I agree with your observations and second your requests. Another feature missing is a single click method to move the bar/beat to match up with what was played (quick on the fly tempo mapping - please correct me if I'm wrong but watch how easy it is in the video below). In Reaper I use an SWS extension with a keyboard shortcut that lets me do that after playing. That issue is particular to playing along with tracks made without a click track. 

I use the method outlined by YouTuber CrashWaggon:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ryz7BfQnzg

Once I've recorded and edited midi for the drums recorded with my edrums I move over to Mixbus for recording bass, guitars and keyboards.