Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tag cleanup
Hi
I just cleaned up all the tags and hid all the plugins I'm not using. My New Plugins by Tags still displays a whole bunch of tags I don't wan't to see.
Do I need to change the tags on all the plugins I'm not using and will that show only the tags actually in use?

Thanks!
Changing the tags on the plugins does not seem to affect the tags displayed in the drop down list.
What am I missing?
Hi JB

It's been a while since I've messed with this, but here's what I found out a few years back.

There are two files that contain the tag structure.
A "user" file: C:\Users\[Username]\AppData\Local\Mixbus7\plugin_metadata\plugin_tags
And a "global" file: C:\Program Files\Mixbus7\share\ardour7\plugin_metadata\plugin_tags

If you open the "user" file in a text editor, you should find that it contains all the plugins you've personally tagged.
The "global" file, on the other hand, contains a lot of pre-tagged plugins, that you may or may not own. It's due to the contents of this "global" file that you see those empty tags in the plugin structure in Mixbus.

Before you proceed, make a backup of both of the plugin_tags files - just in case...

To remove all the unwanted tags in your plugin structure in Mixbus, simply replace the "global" file with a copy of the "user" file so that the two files are identical, containing only your own tags. (It may also work by just renaming the "global" file something like "plugin_tags_off", or simply deleting the contents of the file, but I haven't tested all the options thoroughly enough to tell if it makes a difference, or whether there might be some undesired side effects to either of them - hence the backups Wink)

Enjoy your uncluttered plugin structure!
Thanks Luhr!
Exactly what I was looking for. Going to try this and I'll be sure to copy everything first.

edit.
I can't find anything like this anywhere on my computer (I'm on a mac).
I can't even find Mixbus, except under applications where I launch it.
Hi JB

Yeah, I'm on a Windows pc...

According to the Mixbus manual (https://rsrc.harrisonconsoles.com/mixbus...ser-topics), your preferences folder location should be ~/Library/Preferences/Mixbus7. The folder might be hidden, but you can "unhide" hidden folders in Finder but using the shortcut cmd+shift+[.] (-that's "cmd+shift+dot").
Your "user" file should then reside in the subfolder plugin_metadata.

According to another thread in the Mac subforum, this might be the way to find the "global" file (-this is a bit speculative, as I can't try it out myself...):
Open the Applications folder in Finder. Locate the Mixbus app. Control-click on the app and select "Show Package Contents". Go to Contents > Resources > plugin_metadata.

If this doesn't help, you should definitely try asking how to find the folders in the Mac forum (https://forum.harrisonconsoles.com/forum-6.html) Smile

Cheers!
-Luhr
Thumbs Up 
Thanks for the help, I found the folders! 
I would not have thought of looking there.

JB