Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Recovering session from crash
I recently encountered a blue screen while mixbus was running in the background.  When I tried to reopen the session after a reboot, I was faced with this error (see attached)

I am at a loss since the reference sources are present in the midi folder (and verified good), and the XML tags defining them are in the sources section tag. I have tried commenting out all mentions of these ID's and midi files, but removing too many seems to prevent the XML file from being read successfully at all.  I would really hate to lose this session as it has many hours put into it and starting from scratch would be a huge blow.  

I have tried loading session files from the backups folder but they give the same error even though they were created long before the crash.  Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.  I can't seem to find a log file for mixbus (perhaps there isn't one?), so this is all I have to go on.

Here are screen shots of the error and showing that the files in question do exist.  Apparently I cannot upload the xml here because it is too large (6 mb) and this forum will not allow hyperlinks so I'm not sure how I can share the session file approriately.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

I believe I have fixed this issue by re-adding to to the XML file additional lines for drums_x-1 and 2 and 3, etc as shown in the image.  It seems confusing to me as a programmer by trade that these tags have duplicate ids, but it seems all of them are needed.  I got the idea by looking at the same source ids in a different version of the project that still worked.  I repeated this for several other midi parts, and it seems to have solved the problem.  It would be helpful if logging were extended to include not just the source id but also the name attribute missing.

For the record - I'm not sure that this condition was caused by mixbus shutting down unexpectedly.  I suspect the bluescreen / solid state drive was responsible.  In a similar situation with reaper, I once had my entire project replaced with NULL fields.  Apparently SSD do not shut down nondestructively in the event of a BSOD and any open files can be corrupted, regardless of the application managing them - even though the actual project was stored on a traditional drive.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)