Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
ORTF stereo recording: how to record/pan?
I am about to record a classical concert in a church. I'll be using a stereo pair of small diaphragm condensers in ORTF setup. This will be the first time I'm doing this.

Now I am uncertain: I would assume that I'll have to record the mics in separate mono tracks and pan them fully left and right to get the ORTF stereo effect.

Is this correct? Or is my understanding about the panning completely wrong? Or should I use a stereo track instead (correction of input levels if not perfectly matching would be easier though with separate tracks)?
Check this article out:
producelikeapro.com/blog/ortf-mic-technique
Win10 64 i5 3330 Quad Core, AVL/MXE i5, MB 3-9, MB32C 3-9, Tascam US 20x20(2), Tascam 388, Alesis HD24, Alesis ML 9600(2), A&H GL2400, Soundcraft Studio Spirit 24, Roland Integra7, Roland S-50, M-Audio Hammer 88, ART/ MPA Gold/ TPSII/Pro Channel(2)/Pro VLA(3), lots of tubes
Tassy, I'm sorry, I can't follow you at all. "stereo is etero" What???
(By the way it's ORTF not ORFT and it's arguably the best way to record a classical chamber concert if you want to capture it with just two condenser mics. But that wasn't my question anyhow.)

Theotherguy, I've checked your linked article. Alas, it doesn't give me any new information and doesn't answer my questions at all.

Please, I am not asking wether I should mike with ORTF or not or how to set the mics up. I already know that. Please read my original post again. The questions should be clear.
@Sprock, I would record as two mono channels then repan accordingly
Macmini 8,1 | OS X 13.6.3 | 3 GHz i5 32G | Scarlett 18i20 | Mixbus 10 | PT_2024.3.1 .....  Macmini 9,1 | OS X 14.4.1 | M1 2020 | Mixbus 10 | Resolve 18.6.5
^^^ what Dingo said. It gives you the most freedom at mixing time. Mono channels, pan them and run them into the same mixbus for further processing.

(btw but not to change your mic decision, only just because we're at it: I made a good recording of a choir in a concert hall using Decca Tree)

MMM
Linux throughout!
Main PC: XEON, 64GB DDR4, 1x SATA SSD, 1x NVME, MOTU UltraLite AVB

Mixbus 32C, Hydrogen, Jack... and Behringer synths
I would suggest that the technique varies according to the size of the space you are recording in and the number of instruments involved much to do with image width.

There is a good article about stereo techniques on the DPA website.
https://www.dpamicrophones.com/mic-unive...and-setups
Macmini 8,1 | OS X 13.6.3 | 3 GHz i5 32G | Scarlett 18i20 | Mixbus 10 | PT_2024.3.1 .....  Macmini 9,1 | OS X 14.4.1 | M1 2020 | Mixbus 10 | Resolve 18.6.5
(08-28-2021, 01:23 PM)Sprock Wrote: Tassy, I'm sorry, I can't follow you at all. "stereo is etero" What???
(By the way it's ORTF not ORFT and it's arguably the best way to record a classical chamber concert if you want to capture it with just two condenser mics. But that wasn't my question anyhow.)

Theotherguy, I've checked your linked article. Alas, it doesn't give me any new information and doesn't answer my questions at all.

Please, I am not asking wether I should mike with ORTF or not or how to set the mics up. I already know that. Please read my original post again. The questions should be clear.

it was a spelling mistake, misshit the keys
Win7/64, Mixbus32C, Mixbus2.5 the QueenSmile UR22, Dynaudio BM5A MKII, Pc all SSD,
(08-28-2021, 04:13 PM)Dingo Wrote: @Sprock, I would record as two mono channels then repan accordingly
Thanks. (And that's what I've done in a test recording later yesterday.)

I think the shortest/hopefully clearest way to phrase my main question is this:

When I have a stereo recording made with ORTF setup, is it supposed to be panned 100% hard L/R to get the desired realistic stereo image or another percentage?

(I've read quite a bit about ORTF but nowhere have I found the panning mentioned.)
I would start by assuming hard L/R but trust my ears and gut instincts .... what sounds right for the material you are mixing ...
(08-28-2021, 09:00 PM)madmaxmiller Wrote: (btw but not to change your mic decision, only just because we're at it: I made a good recording of a choir in a concert hall using Decca Tree)

Yeah, I totally believe that. But since I don't have the equipment for a Decca tree, I'll go the ORTF route.

I am thinking though of additionally placing a large diaphragm condenser (the only other mic I have, unfortunately no omni) as a supporting mic for the lower frequencies/fullness.

All I have for mobile recording is two laptop computers, two USB audio interfaces (each with 2 XLR inputs), the small condenser stereo pair (cardioid) and a single large condenser (cardioid as well). So I'll have to use one laptop+USB interface for the stereo pair in ORTF and the other laptop+USB interface (since none of my interfaces has more than two mic inputs) with the large condenser as a supporting mic. That's the best plan I can come up with, working with what I have.