Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
some AVA plugins: ugly low frequencies filters
Bug 
Hello there,
Using DDMF plugindoctor, I noticed that low filters are very ugly in the following plugins:
AVA Vocal Flow and AVA LegacyQ
I guess developpers are aware of it as this issue is not in the 32c channel stripe.

See what I'm talking about:
Blue is "vocal flow", pink is "32c channelstripe"
[Image: harrison-consoles-32c-channel-3750278.png]

My questions:
1) Any chance that this issue is fixed soon?
2) Any developper seeing this, or should I open a ticket (please tell me how!)?

Thanks for reading.
Hi FabN, welcome to the forum. I have passed this on to the AVA developers.
Macmini 8,1 | OS X 13.6.3 | 3 GHz i5 32G | Scarlett 18i20 | Mixbus 10 | PT_2024.3.1 .....  Macmini 9,1 | OS X 14.4.1 | M1 2020 | Mixbus 10 | Resolve 18.6.5
@FabN: I did a quick test on the LegacyQ plugin, and was not able to recreate your issue. Nor would this have passed our internal testing which uses high-end Audio Precision gear to measure the plugin responses.

The 'jagged' shape of that image suggests it is a measurement error. Perhaps you had some soundcard dropouts during the analysis of the other 2 plugins?

If you can still recreate the problem and you want to talk further, I suggest you write our plugin support email (plugins@harrisonconsoles.com) and ask for Justin. If there is a combination of settings and preferences that can cause that shape, we need to fix it!

Best,
-Ben
@Ben: Thanks for your feedback! Tested many plugins and never met dropout during analysis. Measurements are made inside the box.
I will write to Justin, with details to reproduce the issue.

Did a few tests this morning and get a clean result from L_EQ and VF
Macmini 8,1 | OS X 13.6.3 | 3 GHz i5 32G | Scarlett 18i20 | Mixbus 10 | PT_2024.3.1 .....  Macmini 9,1 | OS X 14.4.1 | M1 2020 | Mixbus 10 | Resolve 18.6.5
@FabN - First thing I would do is drop the peak signal you are sending from Plugin Doctor. You're sending the plugin +1.94dBFS peak (see the upper right hand corner of your screen). That will not yield any useful results in my experience. Try setting to anything below 0. I usually use -6 unless I'm trying to push a plugin that might be used within a "hot" mastering chain and try to see when some analog emulations give out.

In linear analysis mode, the sweep moves quickly so you'll see peak levels periodically move on the meters in some plugins depending on the ballistics of the meter, but the dB setting a peak level sweep. I've seen slow meters not respond at all. In Harmonic Analysis mode, the dB setting in Plugin Doctor will send a constant RMS level at the dBFS choice you make.

Matt
Tech specs: Windows 11, Asus Prime Z790-A, I7-12700K @ 7.7K; Hyper-threading enabled, G.Skill DDR5-5600 64GB RAM, Integrated GPU, Samsung 980 Pro M.2 1TB SSD, Benq 32" 4K Monitor
Mixbus 32C versions: 9.2
(08-19-2021, 09:14 AM)Ben@Harrison Wrote: @FabN:  I did a quick test on the LegacyQ plugin, and was not able to recreate your issue.  Nor would this have passed our internal testing which uses high-end Audio Precision gear to measure the plugin responses.

The 'jagged' shape of that image suggests it is a measurement error.  Perhaps you had some soundcard dropouts during the analysis of the other 2 plugins?

If you can still recreate the problem and you want to talk further, I suggest you write our plugin support email  (plugins@harrisonconsoles.com) and ask for Justin.  If there is a combination of settings and preferences that can cause that shape, we need to fix it!

Best,
-Ben

(08-20-2021, 05:15 AM)GMSweet Wrote: @FabN - First thing I would do is drop the peak signal you are sending from Plugin Doctor.  You're sending the plugin +1.94dBFS peak (see the upper right hand corner of your screen).  That will not yield any useful results in my experience.  Try setting to anything below 0.  I usually use -6 unless I'm trying to push a plugin that might be used within a "hot" mastering chain and try to see when some analog emulations give out.

In linear analysis mode, the sweep moves quickly so you'll see peak levels periodically move on the meters in some plugins depending on the ballistics of the meter, but the dB setting a peak  level sweep.  I've seen slow meters not respond at all.  In Harmonic Analysis mode, the dB setting in Plugin Doctor will send a constant RMS level at the dBFS choice you make.

Matt

See attached picture. Lowering signal by 8dB doesn't change anything. Vocal Flow (in blue) is jagged while 32c (in pink) is ok.
I can admitt that my measures are wrong, but I don't understand where, why!

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

(08-19-2021, 09:14 AM)Ben@Harrison Wrote: @FabN:  I did a quick test on the LegacyQ plugin, and was not able to recreate your issue.  Nor would this have passed our internal testing which uses high-end Audio Precision gear to measure the plugin responses.

The 'jagged' shape of that image suggests it is a measurement error.  Perhaps you had some soundcard dropouts during the analysis of the other 2 plugins?

If you can still recreate the problem and you want to talk further, I suggest you write our plugin support email  (plugins@harrisonconsoles.com) and ask for Justin.  If there is a combination of settings and preferences that can cause that shape, we need to fix it!

Best,
-Ben

(08-19-2021, 07:32 PM)Dingo Wrote: Did a few tests this morning and get a clean result from L_EQ and VF

Got it! I use "Quality: highest" parameter @ 88,2KHz to get the jagged frequency response.
Using "Quality: normal" parameter @ 44,1KHz, everything looks fine!
@FabN - Interesting! I see differences as well between normal, higher, and highest with higher being the messiest of them all. It has me wondering if the artifacts are Plugin Doctor induced. Bertrom EQ Curve Analyzer (free and useful "in DAW" for seeing what a chain is doing) shows a direct match between Vocal Flow and the 32C for both FR and phase, but it doesn't have the options of Plugin Doctor. I certainly don't think I "hear" any of that crazy ripple, but I will say I don't use Vocal Flow often since I would most likely use it in Reaper and it crashes Reaper for me if I don't switch to the generic UI. And I'm only in Reaper < 5% of the time.
Tech specs: Windows 11, Asus Prime Z790-A, I7-12700K @ 7.7K; Hyper-threading enabled, G.Skill DDR5-5600 64GB RAM, Integrated GPU, Samsung 980 Pro M.2 1TB SSD, Benq 32" 4K Monitor
Mixbus 32C versions: 9.2