Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Steven Slate Drums 5 w/ Mixbus 32C v7
Anyone using this?  

I can set up different outputs from the Slate Drums plugin mixer, but can't figure out where in Mixbus 32c to receive them.  I made audio tracks, go to the routing grid, and only see a stereo out for SSD5 along with a "1" whatever that means.  These drums samples sound great in MIxbus.

There's a great video on YouTube from 2018 covering this process, but things since have apparently moved and changed along the way.

I'm transitioning to Mixbus 32C from PT12.  Yay!  

Thanks for any info or advice,
dave
Hey David,

Thanks for watching my video Smile

I have moved on to using SD3 (not that I didn't like Steven Slate) but the process is exactly the same...at least it should be. I will watch my video again and try to recreate the steps and hopefully make it a little more clear.

Stay tuned to the Harrison Youtube channel.
The Doctor
Getting Surgical with Audio
(08-04-2021, 02:55 PM)Nathan@Harrison Wrote: Hey David, 

Thanks for watching my video Smile 

I have moved on to using SD3 (not that I didn't like Steven Slate) but the process is exactly the same...at least it should be.  I will watch my video again and try to recreate the steps and hopefully make it a little more clear. 

Stay tuned to the Harrison Youtube channel.

Thanks, and I get a lot from those videos! 

Somehow connection points don't seem to be showing up in Mixbus and not sure why.  This is on a Windows 10 box, but hopefully irrelevant.  SSD5 works great with my Yamaha e-drums so I'm set for now if I can make the rest happen.
I went back and selected the multi-output version of SSD5, somehow hadn't noticed it. 

I went to the Pin Connections panel and filled out all 48 connections.  I'm trying to figure out "what goes to what connection" now in terms of sending it from SSD5.  It's easy to see all of the channels now, so that's some progress.
Have you used Slate in other daws?
Virtual drums have stereo out (so a kick is not mono but stereo)
Thus the odd (1,3,5,...) channels correspond to 1,2,3,...)
The routing better to set in the plugin itself then in the input of the drum tracks.
pin has nothing to do with it.

I prefer to fan out the MIDI kit, record the tracks in analogue wave and mix as any other track. I do not bother with mixing MIDISmile, only to get the sound out of it into audio tracks and no headache....
best
Tassy
Win7/64, Mixbus32C, Mixbus2.5 the QueenSmile UR22, Dynaudio BM5A MKII, Pc all SSD,
Yes, I've broken them out in PT12, but that's not the DAW I want to use.

I'll try it from the top again.  I tried to fan out connections just setting up a MIDI channel, but that didn't seem to respond.  I'll try it again, too.  I may not be brilliant, but I am persistent!

I did set up the output routing in the plugin, but Mixbus has to receive those somewhere.  I just haven't found anything clear on this setup with SSD5, only older versions, but it's simple and sounds great.

After doing a "hunt and peck" routine in the Routing Grid, I got the channels working after adding those Pin Connections.  I suspect I'm not doing it right because there is still no real order to it.

They have a stereo version and a multi-output version, and the latter is what I'm trying to use here.  I'm going to bug them about it, too.

dave
OK, I set up a new SSD5 MIDI track, selected the multi-output version, then told it to fan out and create new tracks. 

JOY, it worked !  There are a lot of tracks at the end not being used, so I'll just delete them. 

I knew it had to be easier than what I was doing, but now I'm following the outputs and the order is finally making sense to me.  When I do check Pin Connections, all 48 are made of course. 

It just took me awhile to find the SSD5 outs in the Bus layout, then it all fell into place.  

Thanks for a couple of clues, Tassy.   And thanks to Nathan again for a fantastic video!

dave