Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Looking for editing tips
Hello guys, I’m dealing with an obstacle here, there are quite a lot of loud breaths in the vocal i’m working on, so what’s the best way to get rid of it? Thank you so much!!
I edit those by hand.  Note editing is non destructive...

I suggest check out the video tutorials about editing

here is a start tutorials

Frank
Frank W. Kooistra

- MMB32C 9.1, AD/DA: Motu:1248, 8A, 8D, Monitor8. X-Touch,, Mini M1 11.6.2, venture 13.3 plugins melda fabfilter harrison No Harrison CP-1 
(07-13-2021, 08:44 AM)Frank Wrote: I edit those by hand.  Note editing is non destructive...

I suggest check out the video tutorials about editing

here is a start tutorials

Frank

+1
Cool
some handy keys : Basic keyboard shortcuts 

Check out the Range tool is what you mostlikely need to remove the unwanted sounds
Frank W. Kooistra

- MMB32C 9.1, AD/DA: Motu:1248, 8A, 8D, Monitor8. X-Touch,, Mini M1 11.6.2, venture 13.3 plugins melda fabfilter harrison No Harrison CP-1 
+1

I agree with Frank.
Editing breath noise, by hand (i.e., stripping each occurrence, one at a time), although very tedious, is totally reliable and yields the best results.

Cheers!
Patrick
You can also consider attenuating rather than removing them entirely, which can sound unnatural. Breathing is part of singing, and in my view vocals without any breaths are far more distracting than vocals with noticeable breaths. So I use the editor to lower the volume of any unusually loud breaths so they don't stand out so much. Put the editor into smart mode (just type 3 with your keyboard while in the editor), put your cursor in the top half of the waveform and draw a range around the breath, type d to go into draw mode, pull down the volume envelope line to attenuate the breath sound, then type g to go back into smart mode.
I agree with bjohnh, artefacts like breath, string noise etc are part of a performance.
Totally removing them can make a recording sound sterile and lifeless... reducing the gain slightly removes the focus but keeps the integrity.
Macmini 8,1 | OS X 13.6.3 | 3 GHz i5 32G | Scarlett 18i20 | Mixbus 10 | PT_2024.3.1 .....  Macmini 9,1 | OS X 14.4.1 | M1 2020 | Mixbus 10 | Resolve 18.6.5
(07-14-2021, 04:51 AM)Dingo Wrote: I agree with bjohnh, artefacts like breath, string noise etc are part of a performance.
Totally removing them can make a recording sound sterile and lifeless... reducing the gain slightly removes the focus but keeps the integrity.

+1
Cool
(07-13-2021, 07:23 AM)ChristianFox Wrote: Hello guys, I’m dealing with an obstacle here, there are quite a lot of loud breaths in the vocal i’m working on, so what’s the best way to get rid of it? Thank you so much!!

Hey Christian,

I would simply use the Range tool to select the breath and then hit the D key (draw tool) to bring the gain down.  This region automation stays with the region even when moved around. 

All the best,
Nathan
The Doctor
Getting Surgical with Audio