Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How to analyse crashes?
Hi

I'm using MB32c (v6) on my 2yr-old Windows desktop (which has an 8th gen i7 processor, 32GB RAM, SSDs all round).

I really love Mixbus but keep moving in and out of using it, because I'm plagued by crashes. Sometimes I get none in a session; sometimes (like today) they happen every 20-30mins or so. I try to adopt a pacific attitude to it and treat it as a chance to step back (!) but of course it's very far from ideal. However, MB seems a lot less stable on my system than the other two DAWs I use (Ableton 10 Suite and Reaper 6).

It seems to me that there are so many variables involved here, from MB's own settings (I don't understand the processor settings options), to third party plugins, to hardware drivers, to my BIOS settings perhaps, to whatever the hell Windows gets up to (W10 seems to have got less reliable on this machine over the past few months, with the occasional BSOD - I did a reinstallation a couple of weeks back, hoping that would sort it). I don't have a clue where to start in trying to figure out what is going on/going wrong.

Are there any threads here perhaps detailing how to analyse/troubleshoot? I am by no means a computer expert but can follow fairly straightforward instructions.

Thanks

Stew

EDIT: I wondered if it might be Superior Drummer 3 causing problems, so I just opened the SD3 sessions in Reaper, bounced the stems, deleted the plugin from MB and imported the audio instead. But it's no different: I have literally just had three crashes inside of 5 minutes.

Plugins I also have:
SPAN on my master
Metric AB and Waves Abbey Road Studio 3 on my monitor

- but a different session built with the same template (though without SD3) was running much better yesterday. It's incredibly frustrating!
...And/or any ideas for fixes? Could the session file have become corrupted perhaps - if so, would starting with a fresh project from my template (which includes audio busses, VCAs and some FX sends on mixbusses 9-12) and re-importing the stems help?

Can I check the state of a session file somehow?

(Sometimes this is a fix for crashes/freezes with my Tascam DP24 multitracker, though usually that's following lots of edits - exporting stems, then reimporting to a fresh project seems to fix that. That wouldn't be the issue here though, because I haven't been editing the imported stems yet.)
If you're familiar with the old (DOS style) commands you can open a Command Window, navigate to your Mixbus 'bin' folder and then launch MB from a Command Line. Mixbus will then sometimes print out an error message if it crashes.
Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit...
Wisdom is knowing you don't put tomatoes in a fruit salad !!
@Stew71 -

The best thing for you to do right now is forward your issue on to the Mixbus Support group.
Here's a link to a Windows Crash page they've provided:
https://mixbus.helpscoutdocs.com/article/39-crashes
There is a "Contact Us" link at the bottom of that page.

In the meantime, keep an eye out for suggestions, posted here, by other members of this Forum.
Many of us have experienced similar issues with Windows 10. Ours might not be the same as yours
however some of the feedback might prove to be helpful to getting you onto a more stable platform.

Cheers!
Patrick
Thanks all. Harrison have suggested deleting my configuration files to see if that improves things, to begin with. Fingers crossed that it has, I will test it properly soon and find out.

It's encouraging that it had largely worked well until recently. I'll be happy if it gets back to that.
Hi

best is to tell us what you do, step by step..

comparing with another daw gives no information.

sometimes a way of working accustomed in another daw is a nono in Mixbus.

how is your setup,
what plug ins do you load, where etc

This way we can assist

regards

Frank
Frank W. Kooistra

- MMB32C 9.1, AD/DA: Motu:1248, 8A, 8D, Monitor8. X-Touch,, Mini M1 11.6.2, venture 13.3 plugins melda fabfilter harrison No Harrison CP-1