Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Windows 11 anyone ?
There's some confusion over whether it's called Windows 11 or Windows 10X but after telling us all that Win10 would be its final OS, Microsoft has just announced - wait for it... a new OS !!

Apparently the killer feature is that it'll run Android apps as well as Windows apps - but as someone who's never used Android (except on a mobile phone) why's that such a big deal  Huh
Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit...
Wisdom is knowing you don't put tomatoes in a fruit salad !!
The underwhelmingness is overwhelming. Big Grin
Mixbus 32C, Debian Bookworm/KDE, EVE SC205 + ADAM Sub 8 monitors, Soundcraft Compact 4, M-Audio 2496, i5 6500, 16GB RAM, WD Blue SSD 1TB, 48" LG OLED, other stuff.
Work as house engineer at a popular venue in Melbourne AU. On a quest for the holy grail, the perfect amount of cowbell.

(06-20-2021, 03:47 AM)sunrat Wrote: The underwhelmingness is overwhelming. Big Grin

Windows 10X-11? X11? Wait a minute... lol
MMM
Linux throughout!
Main PC: XEON, 64GB DDR4, 1x SATA SSD, 1x NVME, MOTU UltraLite AVB

Mixbus 32C, Hydrogen, Jack... and Behringer synths
XDA Developers have a preview. It's Windows 10 with UX refresh. Once again those morons are tweaking the start menu.

Nadella says biggest update in 10 years which I call hype.

https://www.xda-developers.com/windows-11/
Thanks @dsteinschneider - if I'm reading that article correctly it sounds like Win10's killer feature was that it'd run on ARM processors but a lack of apps (esp. 64-bit apps) hindered its progress. So I'm guessing that's why Android apps are supported now.

For me though, the killer feature is that the new OS will finally start getting rid of the ugliness (i.e. the 'squareness') of Windows 10. I must admit, I've found Win10 to be a pretty good OS - if you can put up with its ugliness.
Windows has always needed to be drastically slimmed down since XP days. They throw so many things in the box for which most users have absolutely no need. For audio production, the number of customisations which need to be done to optimise performance is staggering and is probably a major reason why less savvy users have issues.
Windows XP and 7 had third party "Lite" versions or utilities which could strip out most the parts a user would never need. For Win 10, the closest I've found is Win 10 Privacy which does a good job but there is still much cruft left. MS seriously needs to offer a "Lite" version itself. It's one of the reasons I prefer Linux for audio, I can build it up from a base system to only include what I need. I do still use Win 10 for games though, and for Izotope RX which has no Linux equal.
Mixbus 32C, Debian Bookworm/KDE, EVE SC205 + ADAM Sub 8 monitors, Soundcraft Compact 4, M-Audio 2496, i5 6500, 16GB RAM, WD Blue SSD 1TB, 48" LG OLED, other stuff.
Work as house engineer at a popular venue in Melbourne AU. On a quest for the holy grail, the perfect amount of cowbell.

That's all true @sunrat but the advantage of all that cruft is that Windows will still run apps that were written decades ago for long gone OS's like Win98 and earlier. That isn't true for either Linux or Mac. In fact its excellent legacy support is the only reason why non-Microsoft compilers can still build apps for Windows (e.g. the gcc compilers used for Ardour and Mixbus).
(06-21-2021, 01:44 AM)johne53 Wrote: That's all true @sunrat but the advantage of all that cruft is that Windows will still run apps that were written decades ago for long gone OS's like Win98 and earlier.

It only runs legacy programs if you are lucky. Win 10 won't run my favourite old game Crimson Skies which was released in 2000, published by Microsoft!   Big Grin

(06-21-2021, 04:51 AM)sunrat Wrote: Win 10 won't run my favourite old game Crimson Skies which was released in 2000, published by Microsoft!   Big Grin

Ah... I guess it might be a 16-bit game or it might need some kinda 16-bit technology (such as 16-bit graphics). There are a few reports on the internet from people who made it work but I don't know if they were using the 2000 version.
We got the old Lucas Arts 90's games to run on Windows 10 - Dark Forces, Jedi Knight, Monkey Island, Grim Fandango etc.