Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Rent to own harrison
Rent to own?

I and perhaps other musicians with small pockets, could have a benefit with the
Rent to own concept!
You can now rent until you own the software/plugins with some big names like “presonus studio one”
The great synth “serum”  and so on.
Splice.com  is one place.

It’s also a good way to make people more courius about mixbus/ mixbus 32 and perhaps 
AVA plugins. A good Meeting place! New partners...

The competition is high!
Harrison have some great offers regularly , but in the same time , Waves for instance, have aggressive Offers 29$ for every plugins and so on. 
Sadly, I always end up looking somewhere else. Confused
But I start to respect you’re plugs more and more. 
I want them all! Cool

If I would rent a package of xt plugins for a while, and one after another get mine for good after some time, and not to expensive, you could have me on the hook!
Same with you’re lovely AVA flow serie. More expensive though!

What do you guys think about this! Is it a way to help both buyer and seller?
Ok,I have to admit Harrison can have aggressive sales them to!
I just bought the three
xt vocal, xt bass, xt drum character plugins together with mixbus7, for 39$

I allready have mixbus, but I’m going to give the mixbuslicense to my son
If possible!
An interesting concept, especially for plugins.... What'd be nice would be if you could rent plugins for (say) 14 days but they didn't need to be consecutive days - e.g. you could be using the plugins for 7 weeks if you only ever needed them at weekends  Cool
Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit...
Wisdom is knowing you don't put tomatoes in a fruit salad !!
The issue I have with this concept is that it would require an iLok, other dongle or call back system to administer.
One of the things I love about Harrison is their very civilised approach to licensing.
Macmini 8,1 | OS X 13.6.3 | 3 GHz i5 32G | Scarlett 18i20 | Mixbus 10 | PT_2024.3.1 .....  Macmini 9,1 | OS X 14.4.1 | M1 2020 | Mixbus 10 | Resolve 18.6.5
I think that the closest to that idea is being a "plugged-in member"?
Win10 64 i5 3330 Quad Core, AVL/MXE i5, MB 3-9, MB32C 3-9, Tascam US 20x20(2), Tascam 388, Alesis HD24, Alesis ML 9600(2), A&H GL2400, Soundcraft Studio Spirit 24, Roland Integra7, Roland S-50, M-Audio Hammer 88, ART/ MPA Gold/ TPSII/Pro Channel(2)/Pro VLA(3), lots of tubes
(05-26-2021, 09:18 AM)Theotherguy Wrote: I think that the closest to that idea is being a "plugged-in member"?

Big Grin +1
Cool
I think rent only makes sense for more expensive software, harrison is very affordable and the licensing is really simple, you never have to spent hours of worktime to do licensing stuff as usual with other software. So licensing should never be changed please Big Grin
2023 Mac mini m2pro with 32GB RAM with audient id44mk2
Renting software shares issues similar to renting hardware when revisiting a project that included certain gear.
Is the hardware or software that you used on the project still available? Hardware may be out-of-stock when you need it
or even discontinued. But software, especially the version that you used with your project, may have moved forward in its
development and no longer works for you (for numerous reasons). If the actual type and functionality of the gear you want
to re-rent is not critical - "I NEED a Vintage LA-2A!!!" - then you might do well with an available Waves CLA-1176 or
Harrison XT compressor, so renting may save you some money. Otherwise, and this is presuming that you DO want that specific
Vintage LA-2A, then you might best just purchase that piece of hardware or software so that you always have it - on hand - when you need it.

There is much talk about software products, in general, moving towards the "Software as a Service" (SaaS), where users
rent instances of products as they need them. Microsoft, as well, is planning their roll-out of Windows itself as a "Service";
you won't buy a license and installable image, you'll pay a very small fee every time you fire up your computer.
This all deserves a more general discussion but I bring it up just to point out that renting software for DAW use is not far fetched at all.

In as much as current affordability, I realize that my participation in Harrison's "Plugged-in Member" program has paid out more $$
than what would have been needed to actually purchase updated MB/MB32C and their XT & AVA products, but it allows me to acquire
those products and a more affordable rate - per month, which is what I think I'm reading in the discussion above. But, and this is
very important to me, it also allows me to own every single instance of these products that I use so I can re-employ them at some
future time if I need to, so revisiting previous projects should never be an issue.

Finally... Although I try to use my Harrison products first (XT, AVA, or other provided plugins), I admit that I've had to "invest"
in the purchase of some other 3rd party plugins and will continue to do so specifically because Harrison does not offer equivalent
functionality. And, although some of these 3rd party vendors offer frequent $29 specials, many others do not. The gear I have 
supports the level of service I provide. And, fortunately, Harrison's current product line provides me most of the tools to get the job done
within my current budget. 

Cheers!
Patrick
(05-27-2021, 08:26 AM)PBuryk Wrote: In as much as current affordability, I realize that my participation in Harrison's "Plugged-in Member" program has paid out more $$
than what would have been needed to actually purchase updated MB/MB32C and their XT & AVA products, but it allows me to acquire
those products and a more affordable rate - per month, which is what I think I'm reading in the discussion above. But, and this is
very important to me, it also allows me to own every single instance of these products that I use so I can re-employ them at some
future time if I need to, so revisiting previous projects should never be an issue.

My "Plugged-in Membership" costs me $108.00 a year. First, this helps support the continuation of the only DAW I use. I own and use all products. MB, MB32C, all XT and AVA products (also all of x42's products). The benefits I receive far surpass the yearly cost. I got a great deal on V7, both MB and MB32C. I think that I have saved all receipts for all costs for all my Harrison products going back to V3. I need to do some accounting. It would be interesting to see what the numbers actually show.  But, from my perspective, it has been money well spent. And, I am always current! 

Best Regards
Alex
Win10 64 i5 3330 Quad Core, AVL/MXE i5, MB 3-9, MB32C 3-9, Tascam US 20x20(2), Tascam 388, Alesis HD24, Alesis ML 9600(2), A&H GL2400, Soundcraft Studio Spirit 24, Roland Integra7, Roland S-50, M-Audio Hammer 88, ART/ MPA Gold/ TPSII/Pro Channel(2)/Pro VLA(3), lots of tubes
Good points! I will continue to buy plugins as usual!
I can also consider buying a package of them at the same time if I can split it up in several months.
I guess that’s what I want sometimes really!
It’s good to discuss it with others!