Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Where to change MIDI mappings when recording Red Zeppelin with edrums over MIDI?
Hi,

I have a rather old Taiwanese brand (XM) edrum kit that I bought second hand and I had been recording its stereo output into my DAW through analog cables. 

Then, since the edrum module has a MIDI out, I tried hooking up its MIDI out to my audio interface's MIDI inputs and record the edrum directly as a MIDI track instead. This is the first time I'm doing anything with MIDI so I don't really know what I'm doing here but I wanted to give it a try anyway.

I added a MIDI track using the Red Zeppelin multi-track option and let the dialog auto-add 9 channels with auto fan-out. But when I tried tracking my drums in this way, only the high hat and snare drum actually resulted in any sounds generated from the MIDI track. 

I'm guessing that this is because the other drum components in the Red Zeppelin kit is triggered by a different CC command than what my edrum module is emitting for those components.

But I can't seem to find any option to change the CC code that triggers a particular Red Zeppelin drum component in Mixbus or the plugin window and my edrum module doesn't seem to have a way to change the CC code that it emits for each different drum component either. 

Would appreciate it if anybody can point me to the right direction on how to fix this?

Thank you,
Wong
The edrum kit should put out a certain midi note for each pad. Some pads have a second midi note for when you hit the rim. You could use midi-ox to figure out which notes the pads are putting out. VST plugin drum kits have different sets of notes assigned to the their drum sounds (samples). The note assignments are referred to as "Note Maps". Some people consider the General Midi drum sound assignments to be a standard. Advanced drum sample collections like Superior Drummer, EZ Drummer, Steve Slate, BFD, Perfect Drum and others vary in the note assignments because they have so many more articulations (how the drum is hit - rim, edge, rimshot, etc). 

Continuous controller (CC) messages are usually only sent from an edrum kit to instruct how closed to open the hi-hat is. A newer use of CC messages is used to signal how far from the center the snare drum is being hit.

I looked up XM kit, which I hadn't heard of before. It looks like a good edrum kit.