Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Backup Behavior
When I open a backup of a session file, MB isn't able to find the file. It is apparently looking inside of the interchange of the newly-created backup session, instead of referencing the files of the original. This is frequently a problem, especially if the project has multiple generations (the vox session saved as the premix session, etc.) or when using a referenced file, and the browser is pretty awkward to find what I'm looking for.
Is there a way to have the backup session reference the files in exactly the same location they were in the original session? This would be much smoother.
Thanks!
(04-10-2021, 07:09 PM)amanamission Wrote: When I open a backup of a session file, MB isn't able to find the file. It is apparently looking inside of the interchange of the newly-created backup session

What do you mean with "backup-session"?
If you have copied the whole session folder except the actual audio files - you cannot expect any software to guess where to look for. Your "backup" will look in the exact same places relative to the currently active session folder.
In the scenario you describe, Snapshots would be the way to go: using the same sources in different context.

MMM
Linux throughout!
Main PC: XEON, 64GB DDR4, 1x SATA SSD, 1x NVME, MOTU UltraLite AVB

Mixbus 32C, Hydrogen, Jack... and Behringer synths
No, you don't understand. I'm talking about a backup .ardour from inside the backups folder. It is a snapshot. If I open it, it has no idea where any of the files are, it requires me to point to them. I haven't copied anything in this scenario; I'm just going back to a previous saved state, because my project has started to crash. This was happening frequently, due to an old plugin I've since removed. The problem happens when I used "save-as" to transition the session to a new phase of processing, but doesn't become an issue unless I open a saved backup from the backup folder in the current session.
I notice you are on linux; perhaps this a Mac issue.
It's a fixable situation, but it seems that when a backup snapshot is opened, it should point toward the original files, instead of looking inside of its own nested interchange.
(04-10-2021, 09:08 PM)amanamission Wrote: No, you don't understand. I'm talking about a backup .ardour from inside the backups folder.

Have you tried to copy the respective file into the main folder and open it from there?
MMM

P.S.: on system level MacOS is closer to Linux than Windows Smile
Linux throughout!
Main PC: XEON, 64GB DDR4, 1x SATA SSD, 1x NVME, MOTU UltraLite AVB

Mixbus 32C, Hydrogen, Jack... and Behringer synths
@amanamission - MMM is right, you need to copy/move the backup.ardour to the same location as session_name.ardour, then it is in the right location to link to your files.
Macmini 8,1 | OS X 13.6.3 | 3 GHz i5 32G | Scarlett 18i20 | Mixbus 10 | PT_2024.3.1 .....  Macmini 9,1 | OS X 14.4.1 | M1 2020 | Mixbus 10 | Resolve 18.6.5
Oh, okay, that makes sense. I'll try that next time.