Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Using several computers...Mac
...Not exactly related to Mixbus,

but how are people dealing with
using the same projects on different
computers ?
Plugs missing, presets missing, different OS's,...
It would be great if Mixbus projects would transfer
also settings of inserted plugins...
I dived into where prefs and presets are located, but
to sync these seems rather complicated

Thanks for hints
and best regards

Klaus
Macmini core2duo / i7
OS 10.10-10.13
http://www.redmountain.ch/X32CoreFOHandBandclient.jpg
(04-07-2021, 02:33 PM)Klaus Wrote: ...but how are people dealing with
using the same projects on different
computers ?

For me, it's a very simple and boring answer: I keep the exact same file structure, the exact same version of every plugin, the same OS (in my case Linux), and the same version of anything else on both my stationery machine and laptop. With that square-minded approach, I'm always safe when I for whatever reason use one of the machines.
Mixbus/Mixbus32C on Linux (Kubuntu)/KXStudio repositories.
GUI: KDE and Fluxbox
Hello, Klaus -
I've been transferring Project Sessions between different MB/MB32C DAW OS's (running at different remote studios) for a couple years.
Session sources include MB/MB32C running on Windows 10 and are exchanged with MB/MB32C on Mac and Linux (AVLinux).
All exchanges of sessions remain within their originating MB/MB32C version (eg., originating MB5x sessions always exchanges with other MB5x DAWs).
Sessions never exchange between MB & MB32C.
Plugins are only a concern where the final mix and MASTERING DAWs have all the plugins used in the source DAWs.
All new sessions are created, and exchanged, using the highest version MB/MB32C across the group.
So, for example, if one participating studio is running MB32C 5.3 as its most recent version DAW then any other studio participating
in that Project (eg, song(s)) will only exchange and elaborate that session using MB32C 5.3. The only exception is when that
session goes into Final Mixing. At that point the studio doing the mix can decided to remain at MB32C 5.3 or up to the most recent
version of MB32C they own. The studio working the MASTER will use the latest version of MB32C and plugins available at the time
the Project entered its MASTER phase and all songs are mastered using that version.

Advantages:
- All participating are working at a consistent level of MB/MB32C and, regardless of exchanges being via stems or complete session exchanges,
the has never been a compatibility issue - within the session (song).
- Any issues that might pop up during and exchanged session is usually easily solved in short term as everyone participating in that session is
using "the same DAW". Moreover, virtually all said issues in our experience have been "operator errors".
- Since we all retain all of our previous MB/MB32C installations, re-visiting any session for changes can be done without worry that some new
feature in the latest version of MB/MB32C will muck up that session. That is - pre-final/MASTER sessions NEVER update MB/MB32C release levels.

Disadvantages:
- Documentation and strict session management (as described above) is essential.

Cheers!
Patrick
Thanks for replies !
and best regards

Klaus
Macmini core2duo / i7
OS 10.10-10.13
http://www.redmountain.ch/X32CoreFOHandBandclient.jpg