Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sound Design Project
New project! I intend to put harrison mixbus thru its paces and do some sound design with a open source video.  This one in particular 
https://archive.org/details/ElephantsDream

The video is licensed under creative commons, so if anyone else wants to have a go at it! The only issue is hosting the completed video project somewhere.  Vimeo perhaps. 

I've done a few sound design projects over the years, this one will be the first where I'm entirely in charge.  There's a lot of great websites out there to pull free sounds from including this one: https://freesound.org/

My thought process on the creative part of this is as follows: 
Watch the movie a few times and make notes on the following: 
Basic effects (walking, talking, slams, bings, bangs and booms). 
General mood music ideas 
Possible dialog? Not sure on that yet. 

There's a few decent VST samplers out there that should help with the process.  When I've done this previously I've used markers in Pro Tools to give me basic indications as to where things need to go.  In mixbus I haven't figured out a way to name a marker other than "marker 1" etc.  If anyone can give me some insight on that, it would be fantastic.  I'm thinking marking sounds basically "bang" etc.  that way I can pop in stuff as I go. 

Anyways, the reason I'm posting is, that its a fun idea! And if anyone else wants to join in and see what we all come up with that would be cool.
if you use the marker window it is just as easy as clicking in the filed with marker name (marke 1 and so on), deleting old name and entering new name. no problem at all. I allways give my markers names which are selfexplaining e.g. Chorus 1 or Verse 2...
2023 Mac mini m2pro with 32GB RAM with audient id44mk2
Cool thanks for the tip.
(04-07-2021, 11:44 AM)Shaneward Wrote: I've used markers in Pro Tools to give me basic indications as to where things need to go.  In mixbus I haven't figured out a way to name a marker other than "marker 1" etc.  If anyone can give me some insight on that, it would be fantastic. 
Hi

You have several good solutions to name markers. Just right click on the marker in the timeline and select "Rename" or go to "Preference", "Editor" and check mark "Prompt for new marker names". You will then be able to give the marker a new name when you make it.  

Steinar :-)

Mixbus Pro 10.0, Kubuntu Linux 64 23.10, Stock Low latency kernel, KXstudio repos, i7-3720QM CPU@2.60GHz, 12 Gb RAM, nvidia GeForce GT 650M/PCIe/SSE2, X.org nouveau driver, Zoom L12 Digital mixer/Audio interface
Control+L will display the Locations window.
You can then easily rename or locate to Markers or Ranges. Markers are handy for spotting whilst ranges are very handy for Atmosphere editing.
Also have a look at sync markers https://rsrc.harrisonconsoles.com/mixbus...gn-regions.
This is really handy when spotting FX.
Macmini 8,1 | OS X 13.6.3 | 3 GHz i5 32G | Scarlett 18i20 | Mixbus 10 | PT_2024.3.1 .....  Macmini 9,1 | OS X 14.4.1 | M1 2020 | Mixbus 10 | Resolve 18.6.5
That's super helpful! Thanks. I had one minor fail starting out. I created a blank stereo track, then imported a music track. Copied it to the music bed blank track and then it would play back but the waveform was missing.