Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Stereo tracks to composite track
I’m trying to make a promo for my soon to release CD. I imported the stereo wav files into 6 channels and they are stereo. However when I region copy the pieces of the tracks to the composite channel so I can do cross fades, the composite channel/track is mono. I copy both channels of the wave file in editor but it only pastes it as mono. What am I doing wrong? I need a stereo track for my CD teaser. Thanks for any input.
(04-03-2021, 07:57 PM)JGP Wrote: I’m trying to make a promo for my soon to release CD. I imported the stereo wav files into 6 channels and they are stereo. However when I region copy the pieces of the tracks to the composite channel so I can do cross fades, the composite channel/track is mono. I copy both channels of the wave file in editor but it only pastes it as mono. What am I doing wrong? I need a stereo track for my CD teaser. Thanks for any input.

Did you create your sample track beforehand? Did you make sure you created a stereo track?
One sure fire option would be to just grab a region and drag it into an empty space below - this will create a new track in stereo also.

HTH
MMM
Linux throughout!
Main PC: XEON, 64GB DDR4, 1x SATA SSD, 1x NVME, MOTU UltraLite AVB

Mixbus 32C, Hydrogen, Jack... and Behringer synths
(04-03-2021, 07:57 PM)JGP Wrote: I’m trying to make a promo for my soon to release CD. I imported the stereo wav files into 6 channels and they are stereo. However when I region copy the pieces of the tracks to the composite channel so I can do cross fades, the composite channel/track is mono. I copy both channels of the wave file in editor but it only pastes it as mono. What am I doing wrong? I need a stereo track for my CD teaser. Thanks for any input.

Hi JGP, welcome to the Mixbus Forum. 
As MMM suggested, make sure you have created a stereo track to composite to.
I just tested 32Cv7 for copy and paste stereo files without issue. 
Also Control+drag and drop will copy and drop that copy where you drag it to.
Macmini 8,1 | OS X 13.6.3 | 3 GHz i5 32G | Scarlett 18i20 | Mixbus 10 | PT_2024.3.1 .....  Macmini 9,1 | OS X 14.4.1 | M1 2020 | Mixbus 10 | Resolve 18.6.5
Well I created an blank audio track. Didn’t see an option to create a stereo vs mono track. Then I copied and pasted to that blank track. 

Thanks for the welcome. I’ll try the drag and drop into an empty space below to see if that works.

Thanks all.
http://www.harrisonconsoles.com/mixbus/m...-and-buses

Configuration gives pulldown for mono/stereo
Macmini 8,1 | OS X 13.6.3 | 3 GHz i5 32G | Scarlett 18i20 | Mixbus 10 | PT_2024.3.1 .....  Macmini 9,1 | OS X 14.4.1 | M1 2020 | Mixbus 10 | Resolve 18.6.5
(04-03-2021, 08:12 PM)madmaxmiller Wrote:

Did you create your sample track beforehand? Did you make sure you created a stereo track?
One sure fire option would be to just grab a region and drag it into an empty space below - this will create a new track in stereo also.

HTH
MMM

This was something I really had to get used to when first starting with Mixbus 32C, the being aware that a track had to be stereo.
I was adding delays to tracks, and the delays just did not sound as I wanted them to. And then after being frustrated while searching around, the "aha, mono track".

Now I'm used to it, of course.
But is there really any reason why mono track is the default?
And is there any reason for not just having stereo tracks all over?
They can easily import mono files anyway.

I don't know any other DAW that deals with strictly mono tracks the way MB/MB32C/Ardour does.
It feels a bit dated to me.
(04-07-2021, 02:42 AM)krans Wrote:

HTH
MMM

This was something I really had to get used to when first starting with Mixbus 32C, the being aware that a track had to be stereo.
I was adding delays to tracks, and the delays just did not sound as I wanted them to. And then after being frustrated while searching around, the "aha, mono track".

I don't know any other DAW that deals with strictly mono tracks the way MB/MB32C/Ardour does.

Mixbus is not strictly mono, but mono is the default for every DAW I have ever known. Just change to the type of assignment you want.
When I mic a drum kit I have two mono mics on the kick (in/out) two mono mics on the snare (over/under), a mono mic per Tom, a mono mic on the hats and a single stereo pair for the overheads. With vocals I might dual mic the main artist but as two mono not a stereo image. Bass is a DI and an Amp with mono mic. Then I use the panner to create the stereo image I want.
Room mics, a Decca tree for an orchestra or x/y a/b for strings are the most I ever do as a real stereo pair.
Hardly antiquated, just the way it is.
(04-07-2021, 03:01 AM)Dingo Wrote:
(04-07-2021, 02:42 AM)krans Wrote:

HTH
MMM

Mixbus is not strictly mono, but mono is the default for every DAW I have ever known. Just change to the type of assignment you want.
When I mic a drum kit I have two mono mics on the kick (in/out) two mono mics on the snare (over/under), a mono mic per Tom, a mono mic on the hats and a single stereo pair for the overheads. With vocals I might dual mic the main artist but as two mono not a stereo image. Bass is a DI and an Amp with mono mic. Then I use the panner to create the stereo image I want.
Room mics, a Decca tree for an orchestra or x/y a/b for strings are the most I ever do as a real stereo pair.
Hardly antiquated, just the way it is.

There are plenty of reasons to make mono recordings, of course.
But I still don't see why I'd wish for a project track to output mono. And then even less why this is considered default.
In my point of view, it could be an option: "Output track as mono".

When I drag a mono file into MB, and then put a stereo delay with lots of panning on that track, the output still goes mono into the master.
No panned stereo delay.
I just checked with Reaper and Qtractor to see how they behave, and they both send stereo (with panned delay) to the master track, even though the initial file was mono.
I don't have other DAWs to check with right here, but I cannot recall having used any that insists on keeping mono tracks mono the way MB/MB32C/Ardour does.
And I also don't understand when this is useful. And as I wrote, if it's useful: Why not make it an option instead of default?

It's no problem for me, I'm used to it, haven't been thinking about in years, until this thread came up.
And then I simply send my thoughts to the OP, as I had the same confusion back in the days.
@kranz -
Wouldn't the use of an Audio/Aux Bus accomplish exactly what you are describing, above?
Route in your mono signal, apply a stereo delay and a stereo output goes to the Master Bus.
I would not expect Harrison to entertain an extensive re-write of the current channel strip signal flow
when an easy-to-use alternative is already part of the product.

Cheers!
Patrick
There's always a stereo signal going to the master bus. How else would pannning work? Smile

Real world console: One microphone, one channel. Times 24 or any number of channels, pan them where you want them in the mix.
If you want to use a stereo effect, send the channel out via AUX and return into two AUX returns or two spare channels: one for L, one for R.
Mixbus makes that easier: just use a mixbus or create a (stereo) utility bus. Mix it in to taste.
Having every channel in stereo means not only you need two panning devices (width and balance) to achieve panning but also every processor in the strip (EQ, compressor, every plugin) eats double DSP power for no good reason.
Mono should be the standard, stereo for special cases, therefore keep mono default and stereo an option.
As Krans wrote, after a short time this is just your automatic workflow.
But sure, some day there might be an option "create new tracks as stereo by default" somewhere in the preferences.

MMM
Linux throughout!
Main PC: XEON, 64GB DDR4, 1x SATA SSD, 1x NVME, MOTU UltraLite AVB

Mixbus 32C, Hydrogen, Jack... and Behringer synths