Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
MIDI in Mixbus/Mixbus 32C
When reading reviews of Mixbus/MB32C, it seems like a common thing to point out is that Mixbus/MB32C lag behind other DAWs when it comes to MIDI features.

A couple of examples:
This otherwise praising review: https://www.vintagedigital.com.au/harris...2c-review/
And Ardour ambassador unfa's frustrations towards the MIDI situation in Ardour 6: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vnkJ0uYXMG8

I find unfa's video relevant, as the MIDI situation he's critizising in Ardour 6 pretty much is the same as we still have in Mixbus 32C v7.
It feels like most reviews I read point out the same when it comes to MIDI: Mixbus (and MB32C) could really need some MIDI improvements.

I use MIDI a lot, actually every day in Mixbus 32C.
So I'm very familiar with the workflow.
And even more important, I hardly do MIDI in any other DAWs.

So to those who have more insight in the MIDI situation of 2021, my question is:
What do you feel is lacking when it comes to MIDI in Mixbus/MB32C?
What kind of MIDI features do you wish for?
Where do you feel that MB/MB32C are lagging behind other DAWs?

I guess MIDI is more Ardour's departement than Harrison's.
However I'm not using Ardour. I use MB32C, that's why it feels more natural to discuss it here.
- One issue was when I tried to record some Midi instrument and the notes shift upon end recording. To solve this I found that I have to config each Midi Track to "Align With Capture Time". I also found that if I disable the PDC (Plugin Delay Compensation) function - "Edit-> Preferences-> Toolbar-> Display Latency Compensation Info" - I don't have this problem when recording midi.
- If you record a few times in the same place, instead of having a single take with all the notes, you will "collect" multiple layers each with the notes you are recording. This does not help much in the editing.
- Duplicating a take could be more intuitive, or at least I haven't figured out how to do it better.
I still find the Midi usable, and I only record Midi on another DAW if it is something more complex. However, I quickly import Midi files into Mixbus, because for Audio recording (only a Warp-type function is missing) and especially for Mixing I believe that there is no better than Harrison Mixbus! Smile